Ok so I have to build a something in my electronics class, but because my Thor kit is still not here over a week later I need to build something else. I decided on the Ruby amp with the Bassman mods. I drew up a layout that I would like to make sure is correct. I decided after drawing this up that I am going to use a 5k pot for the gain control, but I am still going to have C5 be .1 uf (Bassman mod). I have read that it is suggested to use a 50k Volume pot instead of 10k, why is that so? Would a 100k pot work fine too? And finally to wire up an on/off switch how do I wire it up? Thanks for any help, I need to go get parts today so I can build tomorrow.

Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Idk about the pots. Won't hurt to try it, though. I think it's because you'll get more high-end or smt. Keep in mind that 100k is 10 times as big as the stock 10k and twice as big as the mod's 50k.

Can you post a schem? cbf to look for one, tbh.

and

I see that I forgot the connection between =9v and pin 6 of the IC. I am also putting in a 25 ohm rheostat in series with C5 to act as a master volume.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

You forgot to ground pin 3 of the IC.

R4 is the volume pot, but fsr you have seperate volume outs.

A volume in front of the IC isn't really a master volume. It'd just control how much of the signal is seen by the 386. R4 is supposed to be the master volume, but idk what your plan is.

other than that, it looks ok i guess.
pin 3 is connected to pin 4 which gets grounded

if you look at the ruby layout ROG gives you the volume pot is connected to pin 2 and after C5, it is controlling the input volume, I am adding the rheostat as a master volume which is going after C5 as in the Little Gem.

Since the Ruby is basically a super Little Gem and since as you pointed out the volume will function as the volume knob on a guitar, I think having the master level should work.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

So I fixed my layout and this is what I'm going with

Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

R6 is wired wrong. lug 1 goes to ground, speaker (-) goes to ground, lug 2 goes to the speaker (+), lug 3 goes to the amp output.

connect the empty lug of R5 to the middle lug.
Thanks for noticing that, was doing R6 from memory when I should have had out how it was supposed to go
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

hows this?

Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Looks good, man. Since you have 3 ground pointsyou could just connect the speaker (-) to one instead of using the pot lug as a tie point. It'd simplify things a bit should that pot ever need replaced.
good point, I am doing PTP on perfboard so it wouldn't really matter much except to make one less solder joint and like you said if I ever have to replace that pot.

I am planning on building this into my Frontman's cabinet if I get an 8 in speaker, if I get a 10 in one then I will have to build a separate head, but when that part comes I will make a build thread.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

I just got an email today from Mark, 4 days after I sent him an email asking where my kit was. Here's the email

Hi Dominic,

I'm sorry you didn't receive a confirmation.

The "3-4 business days" you're quoting refers to an average of USPS
time. But above that line in the FAQ is the "lead time", which is the
real determining factor. We've moved to a cart system since the FAQ was
written, so there is no way to state real-time lead times now, but it's
still a factor. The lead time is 6-10 business days.

We can refund your order if you want. What would you prefer us to do?

Mark

If they would have just said you will receive your order within 2 weeks I would have been satisfied because I would have been expecting 2 weeks not within a week.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020