Not sure if I'm posting this in the right part of the UG forum...

This guitar was given to me and I didn't like it so I gave it to my nephew(spelling?).
Is it worth fixing up so he can use it to learn to play on?

The strings are further from the neck the closer you get to the body, also the bottom string tends to get cought on frets when playing the guitar.

The neck is straight(as far as I can judge by looking), but I'm thinking that maybe the problem is where the neck bolts on to the body?

The nut has come loose and is really worn. They are cheap to buy but getting the right one? Also, is just to glue it in place once you've removed all the old glue and have a nice clean surface to glue the new one onto?

The thing is that he wants to learn how to play, but can't afford getting a new/used guitar since he's living at home and allready have expensive hobbies.
Sure looks like a nice thing to do for your nephew. Getting the nut changed/doing it yourself would be easy and inexpensive for sure.

You say that the action is higher as you progress down the neck. It could be the case that the neck is wonky or it may be an issue to do with neck relief. Hard to tell from the pictures but you may want to take it to someone who could have a quick look at it and tell you if it is easy to rectify or not.

Are they the only two issues with it?
Quote by Duv
Sure looks like a nice thing to do for your nephew. Getting the nut changed/doing it yourself would be easy and inexpensive for sure.

You say that the action is higher as you progress down the neck. It could be the case that the neck is wonky or it may be an issue to do with neck relief. Hard to tell from the pictures but you may want to take it to someone who could have a quick look at it and tell you if it is easy to rectify or not.

Are they the only two issues with it?

Thanks for the answer!
Sorry, but I don't know what "neck relief" is....
I'll have the neck looked at, kinda live far away from any good place to have it looked at though. If the neck is wonky as you say and I have to replace the nut anyways, maybe getting a new neck w hardvare of ebay is cheaper/better?

Will any "strat" nut fit(original neck, if it's ok), or should I get some measuring done before ordering one?
most strat nuts have the same dimentions. Just be sure that it's not:
1.-a locking nut
2.- an acoustic guitar nut
3.- a les paul-type nut.

you can even get them at your local music store. they cost like $2 USD.

also, could you take a pic of it from the side? just to make sure if the neck is traight or if the pocket makes it wonky. I had a similar problem but i fixed it by removing the neck and sanding a little piece of wood that made the neck move forward.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by ldnovelo
most strat nuts have the same dimentions. Just be sure that it's not:
1.-a locking nut
2.- an acoustic guitar nut
3.- a les paul-type nut.

you can even get them at your local music store. they cost like $2 USD.

also, could you take a pic of it from the side? just to make sure if the neck is traight or if the pocket makes it wonky. I had a similar problem but i fixed it by removing the neck and sanding a little piece of wood that made the neck move forward.

Thanks!
I'll try taking a pic from the side, if I can't I'll do it as soon as I have someone here to help me hold the guitar.
Took some pics from the side, not sure if they'll help though...not easy to balance the guitar and taking pics. If they're too bad, I'll take new ones when I have help.

Hmm...

Well the third pic down makes it look like the neck could be a bit wonky, although it is hard to tell. I do think it looks like the neck doesn't have enough relief and the action is high though (worsening the problem you mentioned). That said it's hard to tell without seeing the thing/measuring.

I would probably loosen the truss rod and lower the action. Lukane, you probably don't know what that means so (a) don't take my word for it (b) looks like you'll probably have to go and speak to someone who does know what they're doing when it comes to adjustments like this.

Wonder what other people think?
Quote by Duv
Hmm...

Well the third pic down makes it look like the neck could be a bit wonky, although it is hard to tell. I do think it looks like the neck doesn't have enough relief and the action is high though (worsening the problem you mentioned). That said it's hard to tell without seeing the thing/measuring.

I would probably loosen the truss rod and lower the action. Lukane, you probably don't know what that means so (a) don't take my word for it (b) looks like you'll probably have to go and speak to someone who does know what they're doing when it comes to adjustments like this.

Wonder what other people think?

Thanks Duv!
I'll look for a good place to get the guitar looked at.
@ what price would you say it's not worth it to fix it? (Hard to anwer, I guess)