So I'm looking t the peavey valveking half stack with the head and all
I like playing metal mostly so would this amp have good distortion?
I've got a combo version, just put an OD in front of it and it'll be solid. Bad Monkey's are what usually gets recommended.

Make sure you change the speakers if you get a Peavey Cab, the stock ones suck.
New tubes wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
I just checked out the combo 212, I dunno if that's the one you have but from what I've read it seems like a great amp for anything, of course I would get a distortion pedal to get a little more distortion.
How is that amp?
Don't get the half stack. The cabinet is awful.

If you buy the head, get a decent cab (Avatar, Vader, Mesa, Orange, Lopoline, Saxon, Mills Acoustics if your budget is high enough) and you'll want to mod it down the line.

The most useful pedal you can get for the Valveking is an EQ, not an OD. This is true of any model in the line. You'll also want to get it modded later on (change the output transformer, install a bias pot, etc) for the best quality of sound. If you aren't interested in modding it there are better heads for the price, such as a Bugera 6260 or 6262.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I would not call the VK an amp that is "great" for anything.

It's pretty much your average entry level tube amp that is kind of generic sounding and thus does not really excel for any particular styles but at the same time can do most styles. Don't bother getting the halfstack, otherwise the moment you decide to upgrade, that cab will become dead weight.
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 25, 2009,
Quote by al112987
I would not call the VK an amp that is "great" for anything.

It's pretty much your average entry level tube amp that is kind of generic sounding and thus does not really excel for any particular styles but at the same time can do most styles. Don't bother getting the halfstack, otherwise the moment you decide to upgrade, that cab will become dead weight.

Exactly right.

And seriously, a Mills Acoustics cab with a VK? If I had that kind of cash I'd rather spend a little less on the cab and a little more on the head.
Quote by kyle62
Exactly right.

And seriously, a Mills Acoustics cab with a VK? If I had that kind of cash I'd rather spend a little less on the cab and a little more on the head.

A modded VK can be a great thing, and it's possible to get a used Mills cab for about $500.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXVTM5jCXyQ

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Without EQ/OD/Speaker changer, it's an alright amp. But with those 3 things, I am extremely happy with the sound out of my 212. It can sound very very nice.
So if I don't want to have to do a whole lot of modding or buying pedals, what would be a good tube combo or head and half stack?
Quote by Raijouta
A modded VK can be a great thing, and it's possible to get a used Mills cab for about $500.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXVTM5jCXyQ

$500 eh? Wow, that's news to me. Shame about the shipping charges being so bloody high for the UK for cabinets

Video sounds decent enough, but modding a Valveking is something you'd really do if you already had one.
Buying it with the intention of modding seems a bit unnecessary when you can get something better for the price of a VK+tubes+transformers+caps+whatever other witchcraft goes into making one sound good.