Ok so recently I've began improvising but I can't really get anything good or melodic. I can write fairly melodic songs but improvising....

I'm going to keep improvising lots to try get better, but has anyone got any tips any tips on what I need?

Heres a youtube link of me playing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaLVLDVnuK4
Your pretty good. Better than me at least.

I got nothing to say. I think you don't need any help improvising.

I hope you didn't just construct the solo though. You should of started playing whatever your fingers told you to do. If you did do that then your imrovising is good.

Edit:
I wanna hear something with no backing track. That should decide if your improvising is good or not. Just you and your guitar jamming.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Last edited by vinnie-watt5 at Oct 25, 2009,
Quote by vinnie-watt5
Your pretty good. Better than me at least.

I got nothing to say. I think you don't need any help improvising.

I hope you didn't just construct the solo though. You should of started playing whatever your fingers told you to do. If you did do that then your imrovising is good.

Edit:
I wanna hear something with no backing track. That should decide if your improvising is good or not. Just you and your guitar jamming.

I didnt write or even think about what I was going to play beforehand, I think i'm ok at making little licks and things on the spot but it's bland. So you're saying you think what i'm doing is good and I should just keep going?
Very good dude. However I do notice what your saying about not being able to make it melodic from just improvising. Remember just because you know all the notes you can play doesn't mean you have to be playing the entire time. You almost never stopped playing, which is good at time, but especially towards the 1st half of the video I was feeling it could have used some pauses.

Even if you are just making things up on the spot with no thinking whatsoever, when you pause it gives you time to think about what you are going to do next.

Nice sweep by the way.
not bad. you could do to work on your phrasing. think of every line you play as having a begining, middle and end and work on developing your ideas more, instead of repeating them. i thought some of your faster runs were a bit out of place. also, i dont think you stopped playing the during the entire video. you need to take breaks between phrases so your phrases are defined (and you also will run out of ideas less quickly). but its a very good start. you seem to have good ideas, you just need to figure out ways to play them and link them so its not just one thing after another, but a cohesive solo.
maybe try to be a little more free? you're good, but maybe you could try to kind of "fly with the music" and let the notes have some room to be all they can be. you're improvising is good but maybe you could run with it a little more and let it get a little wilder.

and keep in mind how effective accenting a note is. and remember, the pauses are just as important as the actual notes
Last edited by Insira at Oct 25, 2009,
I saw that you went all around the fretboard when you were soloing. That can be good, but it seemed like you made it a point to do that. A solo can sound good even if you are only playing a few notes in one position.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
^ ok yeah listening back I would definetly agree I need to phrase better. and have small breaks. Thanks for the help I will work on it I also think when I play fast when improvising a lot of the time I forget to think of the notes im playing and I sometimes have a kind of ' It's fast so it's good ' Mentality. To be honest i've never really thought about phrasing properly and what sounds good when improvising I just 'play'

Thanks again

EDIT: yeah I was playing in as many positions as possible because I had only just learnt them the other day, so I guess normally ( After knowing positions for a long time)
I wouldn't feel the need to use them all. I was just kind of reassuring myself I knew them.
Last edited by guitar12 at Oct 25, 2009,
Yes you are good. keep it up. I don't know alot about theory, So I can't really say anything.

I'm pretty much impressed by anything kind of though.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.