So what type of picks do you guys use? And what musical styles do you use them with? Since I know nothing about picks, can you guys recommend some good brands, and good sizes for rock/metal? I heard Jazz III picks were good.
i use jazz III and i play metal i like the ultex jazz IIIs alott too
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
I use Jazz III's, they good for metal, and classical.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
i play metal, and i use dunlop tortex, anywhere between a .7 and 1.2, it doesn't really matter too much for me. i think thick picks sound a bit too clunky and u can play a bit faster with the lighter ones. just experiment around and find what gives u the best feel. its not like they r expensive
i tried the jazz III's, they work well.

i perfer snarling dog Brain picks, The orange ones (1.14mm). they work well for me, and have a grip on them so they don't slip
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Honestly, Jazz III's are an acquired taste.
I used Dunlop Tortex all my life then switched to the Jazz III's to try them out.
I can't play rhythms with them but they're really nice for leads.

I think the best picks around are either the DAVA picks or the Dunlop Tortex.
I use alot of different picks.

Brain pick's have the best grip on them but the ones I have are WAY to thin for myliking...the purple ones lol.

I wanna try to tortex and jazz's

But this thread has been done many many times before
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
Dunlop tortex is what I've used the most.
Just ordered Dunlop M10-0,71mm twisted tip picks to give them a try.
brain .88 (the black)...i have 3 of them
28 picks in total
Last edited by '93 at Oct 25, 2009,
Quote by lmpguitarist
i play metal, and i use dunlop tortex, anywhere between a .7 and 1.2, it doesn't really matter too much for me. i think thick picks sound a bit too clunky and u can play a bit faster with the lighter ones. just experiment around and find what gives u the best feel. its not like they r expensive

I use these Dunlop .38mm ones usually, but if need be I'll break out the Ibanez 1.2mm. I like thin because I can play much faster. I used to not really care, then my friend showed me the thin ones.
Dunlop tortex 1.14mm
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Soon to have an Ibanez RG1550M, 350M, and RG2610!!
I love trying out new picks, the jazz iii's are good, I also like making my own, so far I've made wooden ones and one's make from coins..the UK 2p is not a great sound but the euro 20cent is an excellent sound, It's very small but is becoming my standard to test other picks against. I never realised how different the guitar sounds depending on which pick I use
Hey what is the difference in thickness between the Jazz III and the Jazz III Stiffo? Also, does XL make it better?
I use the free ones at GuitarCenter lol. Looks like the tortex and jazz iiis are worth a try :P
I used to use Dunlop/Peavey Tortex .88mm, but then after so many people rave about the accuracy of the Jazz III's because of its pointer tip. So I tried out Dunlop Tortex Jazz III .88mm and I've been using them ever since. And im gonna have to agree with those who say the Jazz III shape helps with accuracy, cause I've noticed a slight increase in my picking accuracy.

As for what I play I would say classic rock and hard rock.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Last edited by Ethanb08 at Oct 26, 2009,
Fender thin pix.
i play mostly melodeath, In flames, at the gates, the black dahlia murder. that stuff
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Exactly.

If you wanna look cool, put needles in your eyes and play.
3mm Big Stubby. If I use anything less than 2mm and I am not just strumming I feel like I just dont have control or accuracy.
i use dunlop tortex .73 kinda mid size, picks are pretty subjective
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
I use the Dunlop Ultex .88 triangle picks for electric and I play mostly metal. And on acoustic I use the Dunlop nylon .60s and .43s
Michael Kelly Hex Deluxe
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss SD-1
Marshall MG15DFX

Quote by pwrmax
Kerry King always solos in the key of Satan

Quote by Zach Dunn
just need something meaty like a chubby vagina, yet less bassy and and more trebly.
Dunlop .73 mm Yellow Tortex. Love the feel. I play thrash metal.

I use the same picks as Dave Mustaine I think.
I use dunlop Tortex, I currently use the Orange .60's, but I'm thinking of switching to the Yellow .73's soon.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
i use lots of different kinds... usually the free ones at work.

but i buy big stubbies...