So, I've got a strange amount of beats in this measure. It's come out to 4.167/4 when i put it into guitar pro. So, how do i write a time signature for this? it's composed mostly of triplets so i'm not really sure how this would be written.

Another question is, how do you guys find out how to include an odd amount of beats in a time signature? what i mean is, how would you figure out the time signature for such an odd number of beats?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Here's what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Kryaxysa at Oct 25, 2009,
Quote by DiminishedFifth
How many triplets is there?

I just count the number of beats and then see what beats I really accent, and then go from there.

There are 4 triplets, and two dotted eighths. two of the triplets are just eighths that are by themselves. the other 2 triplets are a quarter and an eighth.
Quote by Kryaxysa
There are 4 triplets, and two dotted eighths. two of the triplets are just eighths that are by themselves. the other 2 triplets are a quarter and an eighth.

I don't quite think i'm understanding you. Maybe a pic?
The first quarter and eighth form a beat (the triplets). That happens again in the measure, that's two beats. The triplet eighth-dotted eighth pattern you have is what's throwing you off. You have two thirds of a beat if you combine the triplet eighths in that pattern, and 1.5 beats if you combine the dotted eighths. leaving you in an odd situation. I suggest writing it in a way that doesn't leave those eighth triplets hanging. maybe in 11/16, with the same rhythm (you wouldn't have to notate the triplets).