So after years of playing bass I have finally found a band and I am need of a good bass rig. I have been looking at a Carvin stack but I decided I should probably get a 4x10 cab instead of a 2x10. In that case, I would probably buy the Carvin BX500 head and a GK 410 BLX.

But what would be more powerful? What's going to get me the most volume? If I buy the Gk cab, the head is only running at 300 watts but through a 4x10. With the Carvin stack, it's 500 watts but through a 2x10. Also, I don't know if I calculated everything right. Can the GK cab and Carvin head be paired up together?
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
500 Watts is significantly more power than 300 Watts if that's what you're asking.

I don't know how much different a 2x10 and a 4x10 are, but I imagine a 4x10 fills up a room better.

How many ohms is the cab that comes with the first stack? It doesn't seem to specify.

Yes, the GK cab and the Carvin head can be paired together.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
The cab in the Carvin stack is 4 ohms and 600 watts.

I know that a 4x10 is better than a 2x10 but the GK cab says it is 8 ohms - and the Carvin head says that at 8 ohms it will only be running at 300 watts.

That being said though, the 2x10 is 4 ohms and at 4 ohms, the head is 500 watts. So which combo is better? Am I making sense?
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
Who said a 4x10 was better then a 2x10. A 2x10 can be just as loud and generally far more effecient then a 4x10.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
The GK 4x10 I played at Guitar Center was much louder and beefier than the GK 2x10 that was there.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Alot of physics prooves that 2 2x10's vertically aligned or speakers vertically aligned, will be far more effecient and produce sound over a wider spectrum then a 4x10 will.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Alot of physics prooves that 2 2x10's vertically aligned or speakers vertically aligned, will be far more effecient and produce sound over a wider spectrum then a 4x10 will.

Would you mind explaining this?
Quote by fatgoogle

Okay, that's understandable but I'm talking about only 1 2x10 - not two of them.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

If you are going to run only one cabinet, you should choose one that allows your amplifier to run at its maximum RMS load, or as close to it as is possible. Since the 4x10 cabinet you mention will cut your RMS load beccause it is an 8-ohm cabinet, you will ot get the full measure of your amplifier out of it. Then again, if you love the sound it gives you, then you should go for it.

You didn't say what kind of band you'll be playing in, or what kind of amplifiers your guitar player(s) will be using. You'll need about three times the RMS output of the guitar amplifier in order to keep up, as low frequencies are much harder to amplify than are high frequencies. If your guitarist has a 100-watt tube head and a 4x12 cabinet (or more), that 2x10 cabinet won't cut it unless you all play at relatively low volume.
I would guess from my experience that a 300w 410 would be louder than a 500w 210 simply because of speaker area and ability to move air.
Remember that you have to x10 to the watts to get a x2 in volume
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by FatalGear41
If you are going to run only one cabinet, you should choose one that allows your amplifier to run at its maximum RMS load, or as close to it as is possible. Since the 4x10 cabinet you mention will cut your RMS load beccause it is an 8-ohm cabinet, you will ot get the full measure of your amplifier out of it. Then again, if you love the sound it gives you, then you should go for it.

You didn't say what kind of band you'll be playing in, or what kind of amplifiers your guitar player(s) will be using. You'll need about three times the RMS output of the guitar amplifier in order to keep up, as low frequencies are much harder to amplify than are high frequencies. If your guitarist has a 100-watt tube head and a 4x12 cabinet (or more), that 2x10 cabinet won't cut it unless you all play at relatively low volume.

We're a four person punk/indie band (2 guitarists, bassist, and a drummer). I'm pretty sure my guitarists both have around 100 watt combos. One of them might be 150.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Quote by barb3rman
We're a four person punk/indie band (2 guitarists, bassist, and a drummer). I'm pretty sure my guitarists both have around 100 watt combos. One of them might be 150.

tube or solid state?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
how loud do they turn up? will there be a PA system of any sort with monitors for yourself to help hear? and are the guitarists's running tube or SS combos...i'd assume a 150 watt guitar amp is SS unless it's some really expensive boutique amp or a Mesa Triple Rectifier....which is also quite pricey.

If you order the 4x10 neo cab they offer that comes in 4 ohms the total will be $960. it would be a $230 price difference but IMO the carvin cab would have a better tone with the head since it was made to work with a transparent head like theirs.

of course, at that point it's only a $100 jump to this with which you could get a totally crazy 1200watts. as outlandish as this may seem, and probably is, it's all about headroom. you'd never have to crank the amp and risk clipping in any situation.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SBX410
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Oct 25, 2009,
They are using solid state combo amps. I'm not sure about a PA system or monitors. Is that normal? I'm pretty sure there is something. There was for the last show I played (which was our first).

$960 is pushing my price limit quite a bit. I'm half tempted to buy some used equipment I saw at Guitar Center (if it's still there).

It was a GK Backline 600 head and a Hartke 4x10 cab which must have been this model. Both the head and cab were used. Both of those came to about $500 or somewhere in there. But I hit the same problem there.

In this case I would have a 300W @ 4 ohms head with a 4x10 400W cab @ 8 ohms. So I wouldn't be getting the full 300W right?

EDIT: Well GK says that I would only be getting 180W which I don't think will be enough to overpower the drummer and two guitarists.

I think I'm leaning more towards the Carvin stack with the 2x10. It seems like 500W would give me much more power than 180W no matter what speakers they are. I mean, if worse comes to worse I can just deal with the 2x10 until I have more money later and I add another 2x10 or a 1x15. I can two 2x10s with that 500W head with no problems, right?
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Last edited by barb3rman at Oct 25, 2009,
yes. that would work fine. the amp says it does 2ohms limited which means when you go to two ohms it adjusts internal resistors so that the amp feels like it's going into a 4 ohm load. You'd still get just the 500 watts but speaker cone area amounts to a good difference in volume.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
the GK cab is rated at 8 ohms so you can add a second cab. and when you use 2 cabs you will be pushing 500W

if you use a 4ohm cab then that will be the ONLY cab that you can use with that head because it's not rated for 2 ohm uses

the 300W will most likely be plenty lound enough through a 4x10 and if you add a 15 or another 4x10 cab later it will be substantially louder.

but if you prefer portability the 2x10 will be plenty loud enough for rehersals/practicint/general bs. it will be audable but less stage presense if you used it live and the sound would not travel as well as the 4x10 would.

in general i would recomend getting the gk 4x10 cab it will be just as loud as the 2x10 500w but you will "feel" It better and the sound will travel further from the cab
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E