Who invented thrash, or should I say who was the first band to be labelled as thrash? (and the same with speed metal). I have a friend who worships the ground Metallica spits on and he says they invented both speed and thrash metal and it made me realise that I dont actually know. So any help?
metallica was the first band to be labeled thrash, followed by megadeth, anthrax, and slayer(i don't know the order of those last 3)
gear:
jackson kelly w/EMG 81's
fernandes revolver pro w/ seymour duncan and bare knuckle
ltd m-100fm w/ swineshead x-buckers
ltd kh-202 w/ EMG x-series 60 and 81
crate flexwave 120 combo amp
B.C. Rich JRV7 7-string(in the mail)
Metallica did NOT start thrash nor speed metal they only contributed to it.
Venom.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
"The Big Four" aren't called so because they were the first thrash bands, but the most well-known and successful. Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden etc. were very influential to thrash but were considered New Wave of British Heavy Metal. The first fully thrash metal band was Exodus of the San Francisco Bay Area! Listen to their album Bonded by Blood if you don't know of them.
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
venom are widely excepted as creating both thrash metal and black metal, but motorhead are one of the earliest speed metal bands i can think of
Pantera and Trivium had a huge hand in it.

Hard to say.

P.S. Metallica sucks! Whoo!
Philosophy > Life
Quote by KreatorRage
German thrash metal > American thrash metal

Ain't nobody giving a rat's ass about german trash metal, it's more like scheiss-metal

On topic, I'd say Venom :shrugs:
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by seekmetal
Who invented thrash, or should I say who was the first band to be labelled as thrash? (and the same with speed metal). I have a friend who worships the ground Metallica spits on and he says they invented both speed and thrash metal and it made me realise that I dont actually know. So any help?

Your friend sounds so intelligent
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
Quote by Guitar_Kingdom
Your friend sounds so intelligent

Lol he's actually just made a dick of himself and alienated me and a bunch of his other mates so he isnt a friend anymore but still i'd like to know the answer.
Quote by Slicer666
Ain't nobody giving a rat's ass about german trash metal, it's more like scheiss-metal

Hey, nice one insulting the only reason why thrash is still alive.
Quote by KreatorRage

Most of the bands are influenced by the American bands, so it doesn't matter. Yes, I like German thrash more, but it wasn't any more influential than American thrash...
Quote by Mountaindew91
maybe later, lets talk about thrash metal for now

Except that without Discharge, thrash wouldn't have existed...
Glance into my eyes
and see the darkest shadows dancing
Playing in the desert of my life
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

Obviously Motorhead. As old as Black Sabbath and faster than anything at the time, and majority of the stuff today. Every thrash/speed metal band has Lemmy to thank.
SCALD
Quote by Phill-Rock
That, or being absolutely broke - though you always find money for cigarettes, then end up even more broke.

so true ^.

Quote by smb
I think it's a type of fish.

PM me for GP5
I'd say that Venom was the first band to write multiple thrash songs on one album (see Live Like An Angel, Die Like a Devil and Witching Hour). No one really invented it though. Speed metal should go to Priest.

Quote by KreatorRage

Thrash is still alive because of crap like Sodom's S/T and Hordes of Chaos? Uh-huh.
Last edited by HamburgerBoy at Oct 25, 2009,