I have found an inexpensive Telecaster body for my next guitar build and I am looking for a neck. My priorities are playability and sound over appearance. I found a mighty mite neck for $90 on eBay that had the specs I need: rosewood board, soft v profile, medium/jumbo frets... (I don't mind if the headstock is strat or tele. As long as it fits in the neck pocket I can rock it)

I am wondering about the quality of the woods on these mighty mite necks. Have you guys tried them out? Are they reliable in the long term? Is the quality better than the cheap import Squire stuff?

I have an allparts neck on my strat that I really like a lot. The strat was originally a Warmoth build that I traded for and beefed up, but the truss rod in that neck broke. I can't shell out $300 for a neck, much less one that will break.

I've read some reviews on Harmony Central and they were surprisingly positive.

What do you think?
I was a bit disappointed with my Mighty Mite neck but I didn't put that much effort into improving it. The fret ends were rough and cut my hand up until I filed them. The finish seems really really thin.

The neck held up fine while I had it, seemed pretty reliable to me. I guess the only problem is if you're expecting a perfect neck, from my experience they do need some work.
I think that's the point. people are building from kits or w/e and would prefer to put a little work into it so it's not just assembling finished parts.

Ive always heard good things about them in this forum, though.
Yea at the time I bought one I didn't really realise this! Just making sure I point it out to the TS in case he's like me.
Thanks, I guess I'm just wondering what the difference is between a MM neck and something a lot more expensive in terms of wood quality, frets, truss rod. I can finish it an get a nut/tuners installed on my own, but if the truss rod snaps or the frets are horrible or the wood is low quality it would be worth saving up for something nicer.
Good stuff - I have 2 necks and they're both really nice pieces of kit. I wish it had Jumbo frets though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
my friend had one with an ebony fretboard and it was pretty sweet...

if I remember right, the frets are more "jumbo" than my strat's frets, but maybe not that "almost scalloped" ultra jumbo
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
I think one of mine is a stewmac paddle headstock neck, which I'm PRETTY SURE is a mighty mite neck. Tiniest-ass frets ever. Makes bending such a pain to do without fretting out.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I've been feeling pretty worried about Mighty Mite. The reviews seem to be all over the place and I just don't know if I feel comfortable taking the chance on getting something crappy. I've been looking at WD Music Licensed by Fender stuff on eBay and there are some good options for under $150. Thoughts on WD???
Like aaronni, I was a bit disappointed with Mighty Mite. I was modding a MIA Fender Highway 1 Tele and a MIM Fender Jazz Bass and I had to slightly sand the neck heels. They build them slightly larger to accommodate the widest selection of copies.

I've read of various horror stories of MM necks warping/twisting even prior to installation from the pros and semi-pros at TDPRI (the largest Tele forum).

YMMV.

Quote by kleydj13
I've been feeling pretty worried about Mighty Mite. The reviews seem to be all over the place and I just don't know if I feel comfortable taking the chance on getting something crappy. I've been looking at WD Music Licensed by Fender stuff on eBay and there are some good options for under $150. Thoughts on WD???
I'd highly recommend necks from Musikraft, USACG, and AllParts. They're not as pricey as Warmoth and better than WD (low tier supplier).

Note, there are members who re-sell AllParts here for a discount to UGers!

I think that Mightly Mite is kind of like GFS hardware. Their bottom end stuff is just passable, but the more expensive stuff is decent. That's just kind of what I gathered from what I've read. I've been looking at necks for my partscaster. Just this morning in fact I was looking at an ebay store that sells Mighty Mite necks, and some of the bird's eye maple strat necks look really nice. I'm sure they all require fretwork though, and the big question mark I think it what quality is the truss rod? You can check out that ebay store if you'd like though, Here's a link. This tele neck looks pretty nice, but like I said I don't have first hand experience with the products. If I was going by reputation alone I would buy an unfinished neck from allparts and finish it myself.
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
I too have been looking more and more into allparts. I have a maple neck on my stratocaster that I assembled a few years ago and it has been really great. After digging a little bit more I have found some necks that are at a very reasonable price. The eBay seller wl1990 has unfinished allparts tele necks for around $150 shipping included.

I'm looking at the model TRO-22 as I really like the modern jumbo frets. The only annoying thing is that they don't seem to offer a soft V profile with a rosewood fretboard and modern frets/radius. I guess beggers's can't be choosers.
i love the v strat neck that i have from mighty mite. mine was near perfect out of the box and i did not have to fix the frets or anything. the finish is super thin and not sticky and i love that.
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

i was wondering this too, cause i recently cracked the headstock off my p copy and i was gonna get a jazz neck for it. if mighty mites are any good id look into that.
sent might mite two emails from their site...
never got a reply so I'm looking into other options. This thread helped with that.
sad too, I live about 10 minutes away from their shop in northbrook il.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I found an allparts dealer selling necks on eBay for around $135 + $15 shipping. I'm going to go with these. I just don't find the mighty mites trustworthy enough.
Quote by gregs1020
sent might mite two emails from their site...
never got a reply so I'm looking into other options. This thread helped with that.
sad too, I live about 10 minutes away from their shop in northbrook il.

I bet if you printed out your receipt and drove over there they'd give it to you right away. That's what I'd do.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by salsawords
I bet if you printed out your receipt and drove over there they'd give it to you right away. That's what I'd do.

Well I had some questions. After 3 email attempts that we're ignored, I put on my big boy pants and ponied up for a warmoth. Sure it cost me more, but I didn't get the "sold myself short" model.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Still, it seems very wrong of them to just take your money without giving you what you ordered. I'd call them and threaten to report them to the better business bureau. That seems to work with a lot of those slimy companies.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___