I just got a Splawn Quickrod and now I need a cab to go with it. The only other amp I've ever owned is a Fender Blues Junior so my experience with speakers is pretty limited. I'm going for a tone similar to those of John Frusciante, Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, you get the general idea. Thanks for your help.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Why not look into a Splawn 2x12 or 4x12?
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
+1

Splawn does make good cabs. Depends on how much you want to spend and if you are willing to go used or not. I wanted a Splawn cab originally but the head ate up most of my budget so I opted for an Avatar cab. It has a Celestion GH1230 and Classic Lead 80, which is a combination that would suite you well. Otherwise, look for something with Vintage 30s.

Generally used Mesa, Avatar, Vadar, Mills and some Marshalls are good cab buys.

When did you get your amp? Tell me more about it? Where is your NAD thread? You had a JCM800 thread the other day didn't you?

Oh believe me, there is going to be a NAD thread. I haven't actually gotten my amp yet. I did have an 800 thread the other day. That got me started on thegearpage. After joining there I was browsing around and I LOVE that site. I actually found an 06 Quickrod from the cool lookup site in your sig for $1000. Amazing deal.

My NAD is going to be sick. But I guess I won't be having much fun with the surprises seeing as how alot of people are going to know what it is already... But I'll have clips! hopefully...
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Awesome.

So you got a 3 preamp version. Some prefer those over the new 4 preamp version. Have fun, it sounds like you got a good deal on it. Something else to think about the ohms of the cab you choose. Do you plan to ever run at half power? 50w? That's what I do.
If you want to close this thread to keep it a secret just start a new one

if you are willing to spend more than 500 usd for a new cab then i would go ahead and get a custom made cab. there are a number of cab makers that can supply something like a 2x12 closed back design similar to an orange or whatever you want for about 200 to 300 usd. there are also a number of good speaker manufacturers that can get you better speakers for cheaper. i like weber speakers myself. i went with a ceramic silver bell and a alnico blue dog in my 2x12, cost ~350 usd. sounds F****** fantastic. you will be way happier than with any stock result.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Awesome.

So you got a 3 preamp version. Some prefer those over the new 4 preamp version. Have fun, it sounds like you got a good deal on it. Something else to think about the ohms of the cab you choose. Do you plan to ever run at half power? 50w? That's what I do.
If you want to close this thread to keep it a secret just start a new one

Yea I think I'll run it at half power alot actually. What kind of ohmage should I look for in my cab? And what are the differences between closed back and open? I'm thinking I might get an unloaded cab and fit it up with 2 each of the Warehouse Speakers clones of a G12H and Classic Lead 80s as per your recommendation.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

^Well, if you are going the WGS route look at the Veteran 30s too.

If you go the 212 route and will play in half power mode then your best bet would a 4 ohm cab.
2 - 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel will give you 4 ohm total.

If you go the Splawn route then have them make you a matching cab and look at their Small Blocks. If you go say the Avatar route they provide their Hellatone speakers as an option which is a broken in Celestion.

Closed back will give you more bass response and a tighter punch - better for metal tones.
Open back will give you a more open sound obviously, maybe crisper better highs - better for rock and blues. I'd get a closed back but that's me. I like that sound better.

BTW - there are other cabs and speakers to keep in mind - The Avatar is the only cab I've owned, so.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 25, 2009,
What kind of ohmage should I look for in a 4x12? Will the ohmage factor restrict me to only playing in half power or only playing at full power all the time or will I be able to switch?

I think I'm going to try and find a used cab on TGP page or Rig Talk. I know that I absolutely have to have some sort of G12H clone in there and either a Classic Lead 80 clone or a Vintage 30 clone, just in case I can't find my ideal cab used.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Generally used Mesa, Avatar, Vadar, Mills and some Marshalls are good cab buys.

+1

Orange cabs also.

Quote by VoodooCow229
What kind of ohmage should I look for in a 4x12? Will the ohmage factor restrict me to only playing in half power or only playing at full power all the time or will I be able to switch?

Some of the brands that have been mentioned already have switches or different inputs for different ohms.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Oct 26, 2009,
Ok so if I have a 4x12 and I'm playing at full power what ohmage should I use? Also what ohmage should I use for a 4x12 at half power?
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

See if this diagram helps you. This cab example is run in Series/Parallel. If you want to be able to run at full power and half power then you need a cab that can switch ohms. I think it will be easier if you just choose now what you want to run at. The Quick Rod is a loud amp but the difference between 50 and 100 watts is more to do with headroom and not volume. I wanted as early break up as I could get because it already has a clean channel and Gear 1 Plexi can easily be played cleanly.

If you are dead set on a 4x12 and are buying used then I'd find a cab wired to 8 ohms and set your amp to Half Power and 8 ohms. 4 - 16 ohm speakers run in Series/Parallel will give you 8.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 26, 2009,
Maybe it's just my computer but the diagram isn't showing up in your post. Could you PM it to me or something please?

The headroom issue is why I wanted to be able to switch ohms. I read that the 3 preamp tube version's clean channel breaks up pretty early and I need loud cleans fairly often, though I didn't buy the Splawn for it's clean channel... Where could I find such a cab that can switch ohms?
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

So you definitely want to switch full and half power at any point huh?

I guess you are open to 212 cabs as well. I can try to PM you the pic but it's just photobucket. I can see it just fine. Are you on a work PC or something? What color is your splawn head? What is your closest city maybe I can find something for you used.

Yea switching between full and half power is basically a necessity for me.

I guess I'm open to 2x12, even though I'd rather have 4x12. I want the ability to be perfectly clean being heard of a pretty loud drummer. I don't mean JC120 clean, but without much breakup.

The headshell is black and the amp itself is silver. Not my preferential color choice, but hey its used and I got a good deal on it. I'm in St. Louis. I've checked out what's around here and I've found a white Splawn 4x12 with some kind of V30s, I forget the brand, for $500. But it's a fully closed back and I think I'd prefer open.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

I see. Well, keep your eyes on craigslist. Use the link in my sig too. I see a couple of Splawn cabs that would work well. Do you gig? Another option would be 2 - 212s. The Splawn 412s are $875 brand new. I see a used one for $600 on there. I think all Splawn cabs are closed back but I could be wrong about that. I've seen that add you are referring too as well.

There was a 212 black splawn cab on there for $350 and it could switch between 4 and 16 ohms. Quick Rod is a very loud amp as I mentioned I think you will be suprised etc for gigging. What amp did you have before this one?

I'd contact Avatar and order a cab with whatever you want. A new 212 is around $400.
Yea I gig about once or twice a month usually. I don't really want to buy new because a used cab will work just as well, plus itll already be broken in.

Actually 2 2x12s isn't a bad idea. A little convoluted but I could use 1 if it was a smallish show and then pull out the other for larger shows. Or just get a 4x12 if it ends up to be cheaper... Hmm.... To the cool lookup site!
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

OK. Good to know you gig. I figured with 2 2x12s you would have more flexibility for both projection AND half power/full power operation. We'd have to really think this through. Can you see my diagram now? Are you pretty certain on a open cab?

Maybe get some other opinions...
Yea I can see your diagram, it makes sense. I'm not absolutely positive on an open cab, but everything I've ever read about metal players says that they play closed back cabs.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
I just got a Splawn Quickrod and now I need a cab to go with it. The only other amp I've ever owned is a Fender Blues Junior so my experience with speakers is pretty limited. I'm going for a tone similar to those of John Frusciante, Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, you get the general idea. Thanks for your help.

You might wanna look into some greenbacks. I even think there are some Jimi Hendrix editions that are rated 35w instead of 25w
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
What exactly do you play again...with some detail? Not that I'll be able to help but maybe someone else with more cab and speaker knowledge can help you further. Hellatones are broken in Celestions, Small Block and Big Block are the Splawn branded Eminence. I hear great things about the Splawn Small Blocks on the Splawn forums. I would say there are more classic/hard rock guys on there than metal.

I own a Celestion G12H30 and Classic Lead 80 in my 212. I guess I mentioned that. That is actually an odd combination probably but it seems to work well for me. I also have a Eminence Red Coat Man-O-War speaker in my Valveking and it is a great speaker too.
The last time my band played a show was for a school's fall picnic thing and some songs on our setlist were:

smooth criminal - alien ant farm
first date - blink 182
pride and joy - SRV
snow - RHCP
you really got me - Van Halen
Whatever you like - TI
Down Rodeo - Rage Against the Machine

With bands I mostly play MTV rock and pop and stuff like that above. But when I'm at home playing I play alot of Van Halen, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Pink Floyd, Stevie Ray Vaughan, stuff like that.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

^ah, I see.

Well a closed back cab wouldn't necessarily be bad for what you play plus I would think the closed back would give more push or punch up front. Most 4x12 cabs are closed. The key for you is finding something wired so you can do your half/full power swaps.

Here is the diagram for 212 cabs. As you can see they are a bit easier to determine.

In Series wiring (using 8 ohm speakers as the example)
8+8 = 16 ohms

In Parallel wiring
(8*8) / (8+8) = 64/16 = 4 ohms

In mine I have a 30 watt and an 80 watt speaker. When combined the higher watt speaker 'dumbs down' to the wattage of the lowest so I have effectively a 60 (30 + 30) watt cab and a 50 watt amp.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 26, 2009,