Hey guys,

So, I have a Gibson Les Paul 5 string.

I love the look and feel of this bass, but I don't like tone. I've been saving for a EBMM sting ray 5 and planned to sell this bass to fund it, But I've been thinking of putting 2 Seymour Duncan Bassline MM style pickups and the circuitry in the Gibson. I'm sure this would require some routing and a substantial amount of money.

I'm looking for punch with lots of low mids and mids.

I play mostly punk rock, with occasional soft piano rock, and metal.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks.
I play bass!
Out of both my dislike for LP basses and my sense of practicality I'd say just buy the MM. Quality control on the Stingray is high, and it's doubtful that even if you did a stellar job gutting and rebuilding this LP bass that you could match it. Plus, simply replacing the electronics would not make it a Stingray in a les paul body.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Personally? Get the Musicman. Putting EBMM electronics in a Gibson really borders on the sacrilegious.
if the body is mahogany, I wouldn't even try it.

if it is shortscale, I wouldn't attempt.

I don't know about a full les paul shape, but G&L has a telecaster shaped guitar that can get very musicman-like sounds.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
^ Ibanez ATKs are also very similar
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
^but the ASAT is a single cut, at least.

that was my idea, as he liked the shape, I found a similar one. somewhat... I like the double cut shape myself. single cuts either hang funny or look really weird.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

since it's appearent that everyone here thinks doing this will get you struck down by the lord,i say go for it.do something that no one else has and put some music man balls on that thing
^it has been done, my good sir. it sounds nice, but it doesn't sound like a stingray.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by roundwoundsound
since it's appearent that everyone here thinks doing this will get you struck down by the lord,i say go for it.do something that no one else has and put some music man balls on that thing

I didn't think it was such a bad idea either
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by the humanity
^but the ASAT is a single cut, at least.

that was my idea, as he liked the shape, I found a similar one. somewhat... I like the double cut shape myself. single cuts either hang funny or look really weird.

Ooooh, I like this idea too. The ASAT can sound like a MM, but its more versatile then the Stingray. Plus it looks sexy as hell

/G&L fanboy-ism
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
get a sterling by musicman and keep your bass, then you will have 2 different basses with different sounds
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
If you're already prepared to do some routing anyway, then why not get a Bartolini active system? They have a few different designs, and surely one of them would do the job.
Otherwise, go for it. Sometimes things which aren't meant to work together just do. Could be interesting.
^ever hear a mahogany body stingray/stingray copy?

sounds like a clear, boomy t-bird.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard