Alright, what I've got is a Fender Frontman 25r, an Ibanez RG270 with a pair of super distortions in it, a ProCo RAT, and a Dunlop Original Crybaby. I was wondering how I could get a tone similar to Clapton's Woman tone but a little more creamy and with a bit more sustain. Think kinda like Santana.

I know my gear is not the best but if you are just going to suggest new gear, don't bother. What I've got is what I've got for now and I don't have the money to buy anything else for awhile. The super distortion in the neck is actually very good for smooth creamy tones unlike the bridge position which is more crunchy and aggressive. Also, the ProCo RAT is also capable of getting nice low gain crunch and stuff. Not just grungy gain and heavy metal tone. Who would've thought?

I have also heard that putting the Wah in a middle position helps for a mid boost which would probably help me get my desired tone but I have noticed that when I turn the wah on, the sound gets thinner and notes higher up on the fretboard become less audible when the wah gets closer to the heeldown position. Is something wrong or is this just a common problem since this wah is cheap? Would it help if I opened it up and added more treble by turning the pot a little bit?

One more thing. Is there anyway to add a little bit of sustain to my guitar? I know that I probably lose some of it from the floyd rose and basswood body but I was just wondering if there are any little things I can do.

In short, I am looking for a basis to expand upon for tone. Given my gear above, I would just like a few suggestions for the settings on my amp, guitar and pedals to get the tone I am looking for.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Last edited by Polystant at Oct 25, 2009,
That first video says is not allowed in my country due to copyright restrictions
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by JesusCrisp

It shows his rig as Wah before fuzz? When I do that, it sounds nasty. It makes chords sound like they clash even if it is the right notes.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Polystant
It shows his rig as Wah before fuzz? When I do that, it sounds nasty. It makes chords sound like they clash even if it is the right notes.

First of all you have distortion pedals, not fuzz pedals and also I guess that your amp is not very pedal-friendly.

But anyway, here's a more precise and better link to what he uses:
http://www.uberproaudio.com/content/view/153/38/
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
The trick to getting any Santana/humbucker Clapton tone is a low-output neck humbucker pickup, a thick-toned body and a mid-gain valve amp that's fully cranked.

You have simply none of those things, nothing even close. You might as well be trying to get a Gibson ES-335 to sound like Hendrix's Strat.

For reference, to get the woman tone/Santana tone, you'll need a guitar like an SG, Les Paul, Les Paul Double Cut or a PRS Custom style guitar, something of that kind. You're going to want an amp like an old Fender tweed combo or Vox combo (more Clapton-esque) or a Mesa or higher-gain Marshall or Orange head that's not quite as cranked (more of a Santana tone). You plug your guitar straight into the amp, no effects. Use the neck pickup - which will need to be a low output humbucker - and typically you'll want to roll the neck's tone control down almost all the way. The amp should be set to full gain if it's a Fender tweed or Vox style amp in terms of it's natural gain, or if it's a Mesa or Marshall/Orange style you'll want to put the gain just a touch beyond halfway, perhaps even a little bit under halfway depending on the specific amp model. EQ should have full mids, normal bass and the treble should be set to counter the guitars' tone control; the lower you roll the guitar's tone, the higher the amp's treble should be. For Clapton's woman tone the guitar's tone should be at basically zero and the amp's treble should be at full; for Santana's tone the guitar's tone control should be between 3 and 5 and the amp's treble should be at about 80% of the maximum.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
guitar tone rolled down on the bridge p.u.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33