What are the pros and cons of having something like an iMac or a Boss BR-1600?? Which is better if both have very good mixers?

Thanks
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
I enjoy the sound of analog myself.
Gear

Fender Mustang

Fender Telecaster

Fender Frontman 212R

Johnson Marquis JM60

Devi Ever Rocket

Boss Super Phaser

Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95

Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (NYC)
i think both kinds of studios have different advantages, i know jack white recorded the whole elephant album on 8 track so i guess it depends on taste
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
I just consider this because it is much cheaper to get a Multi-Track Recorder and a Mixer than getting a 1400 dollar Mac with less features then both. It also seems alot more practical.
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
The Computer based studio has so many possibilities... I have literally hundreds of effects, options, virtual pedals etc., all using Logic Studio 9 and my Boss GS-10 USB recording system. Add to that the ability to "manipulate" the finished tracks...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
If I bought a Tascam DP-02 from GAK, will it work with a US Power Supply?
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
to everyone talking about liking analog, and jack white: the boss br-1600 is a digital recorder, not analog. the term "16-track" simply refers to the number of tracks. it IS NOT THE SAME as an X-track tape recorder (insert various # for X). tape recorders are completely different, very expensive to get, and very expensive to upkeep. we're talking ~$10,000 heads and tape that costs about $200/reel (at 30IPS that's about 16 min).

as far as digital recorders (like the boss br1600) vs imacs...a computer will give you far more flexibility, when it comes to editing/mixing/etc. but it costs a lot (for the computer, the program, A/D converter, etc.). the BR1600 will provide decent recordings at a bit of a lower cost, but you will be limited as far as capabilities.

what computer do you have currently? IMO, you should buy an interface (preferably one that comes with a good DAW, like an mbox+pro tools LE, firepod/studio+cubase, whatever) and make do with that.
Quote by climhazzard
to everyone talking about liking analog, and jack white: the boss br-1600 is a digital recorder, not analog. the term "16-track" simply refers to the number of tracks. it IS NOT THE SAME as an X-track tape recorder (insert various # for X). tape recorders are completely different, very expensive to get, and very expensive to upkeep. we're talking ~$10,000 heads and tape that costs about $200/reel (at 30IPS that's about 16 min).

as far as digital recorders (like the boss br1600) vs imacs...a computer will give you far more flexibility, when it comes to editing/mixing/etc. but it costs a lot (for the computer, the program, A/D converter, etc.). the BR1600 will provide decent recordings at a bit of a lower cost, but you will be limited as far as capabilities.

what computer do you have currently? IMO, you should buy an interface (preferably one that comes with a good DAW, like an mbox+pro tools LE, firepod/studio+cubase, whatever) and make do with that.

although i fully agree with your post, i find the computer path cheaper because it does much more than *just* record. Its capable of internet,word processor,movies,music etc....
also on a computer you get SUPERIOR editing and plug in capabilities. if you want the most pro results and the easiest, i highly suggest computer.
Besides everyone on this forum has a computer, or they wouldnt be messaging
Quote by climhazzard

Well put, and you also have to keep in mind all the outboard processing (comps, pres..etc) that are adding to the character of the sound, as well as the techniques being used in combination with the gear.
ok, thanks for all the input

I have a question: how will all the stuff i record on a windows work on a mac? like , currently, i plug in guitar, bass, keys and mics intro my Pod Studio UX1 thorough 1/4" and XLR inputs and record away using Mixcraft Acoustica. I imagine when I get a Mac (probably macbook or mini mac) i wont need my Pod Studio anymore? or will i? how would i record all the stuff previously mentioned?? do i need a mixer?? if yes, which is the cheapest one available, but still good quality??

sorry, a lot of questions, but i really want to get this as clearly as possible.

Also, as a second scenario: I already have a good laptop, (dell inspiron 1525, screw the dell haters) which pretty much does the basics well (mediocre recording, no video editing or games) i don't video edit or play pc games (ps3 ftw!), so in this case, would it just be better to get mixer + digital 8-track recorder??

thanks
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355