depends what amp you've got as to whether you can/want to DI
most recording interfaces are simple mixers connected to a computer. You can either connect the mixer to directly into a socket in the back of your amp or you can mic the amp and do it that way.
i have an $80 Alesis Multimix 4 USB. Instead of plugging the guitar in the mixer, i plug the guitar in the amp, then amp to mixer. i have mixcraft 4. it works pretty well
Gear:
Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0
Alesis DM6
Two Colling's acoustics (my dad's)
Ibanez SoundGear bass
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Ovation 12-string (also dad's)
Sony 5.1 system
Quote by doive
depends what amp you've got as to whether you can/want to DI
most recording interfaces are simple mixers connected to a computer. You can either connect the mixer to directly into a socket in the back of your amp or you can mic the amp and do it that way.

Does the interface emulate an amp, then? Would this be low in quality?
Quote by Cloudburst

No, either it gets fed the amp's output or you mic it.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Cloudburst

The interface is just an external sound card, if you want to plug directly in it, you'll need a modeling software, either buy one or download a free one
sounds like your a little confused on the process of recording, here are a few ways you interface with a computer:

"play guitar through the amp and place a mic in front of amp and run the mic into your preamp on the computer interface." this gives favorable tone imo, i usually close mic the amp(within a few inches of speaker cone) with a couple of mics at times.

"plug guitar directly into preamp on computer interface". usually this involves software that you have on your computer, like garageband or that other gear program. either way the software is supposed to make the 'direct-in' guitar sound like it is playing through an amp. usually you have recording monitors for playback but you could use your amp for playback as well.

i use presonus interfaces, they're easy and sound good. they aren't super superior but they are the best preamps i've owned.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae