In my quest for a pure and clear tone, I decided to remove the tone pot from the circuit from my guitar. It's an Epi LP JR. '57 Reissue with a p90. One volume, one tone pot. Taking the tone pot out is supposed to clear and brighten up your tone, and I never use it anyways. When I roll down the volume, the tone warms up anyways.

When I do this, can I just remove the two wires connected to the tone pot, or do I have to solder them together?
Quote by JDbbx
I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work, although I'm no expert.

I don't see why not. The hot wire from the volume pot would go to the output jack. It's no different than the hot wire from the tone pot going the the output jack. In fact, the only difference between a volume and tone potentiometer is that the tone potentiometer has a capacitator wired to it.
Haha, still looking for information thanks to the ambiguous opinions expressed so far . Also, has anyone tried doing anything similar?
Quote by ifeelfine
Haha, still looking for information thanks to the ambiguous opinions expressed so far . Also, has anyone tried doing anything similar?

Yes I did it to a guitar I was working on. I ripped all the old electronics out of my strat and made it into a single humbucker w/ 1 volume pot.

The thing is with no tone pot, it got a ton a feed back for some reason.

All you do to the ciruit is wire it in series from the jack to the pickup(s) and have a volume pot in the middle.
--Gear--

5 piece blonde sparkle Gretch drum kit

-Drummers need their own forum-
on my strat, i bypassed the tone pots by disconnecting the wires that comes from the pup selector to the tone pots. maybe just disconnect anything thats connecting the tonepot to the circuit.
If all else fails, you better contact your mother! COME ON!

::type
As said, you can just de-solder everything from the tone pot and have the hot from the volume pot go directly to the jack.

However, this does mean you're left with a control sat there doing nothing, seems a bit of a waste.

What I would suggest you do instead is get a tone control like the Fender No Load tone (though that specific model is fairly expensive and I'm not sure would fit in an LP Jr anyway, the shaft might not be long enough. There are probably other brands that do the same thing with longer shafts. You could thin out the Jr's control routing to take the Fender anyway). What it is is a pot that from 1-9.5 works just like a regular pot; but at 10 it clicks off, as if there is no pot at all. It would be worth looking into, that way nothing is going to waste on your guitar and if you ever wanted to get more mellow tones in future you could while still having the tone of the fully open pickup available.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.