I'm curious to see what differences it would make if i where to change nuts in my guitar....has anybody done this and what were your results?
The results are extremely negligable. Meaning you probably won't hear anything, and if you do your audience defintely won't.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
It can fix string buzz issues though. E.g., if you have a Squier or something with a shitty nut.
the only reason i could see to change a nut is for higher string guages or a locking nut
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
The big difference is that the nut can be "Locking" which means the nut has 3 lockers which lock the strings in place so that when using a tremolo it will stay in tune.

Also, by adding graphite to the nut you can improve the guitars tuning ability.
for Cloudburst, both of the guitars i own have simple plastic nuts. do they make make nuts out of wood?
Replacing a cheapo plastic for a good bone nut can make a pretty big difference in sound.
Quote by caseyramone
for Cloudburst, both of the guitars i own have simple plastic nuts. do they make make nuts out of wood?

Yes they do, most Gibson's would be wood even, but i think that they arent as stable, they will wear down fast and are inferior to plastic ones.
Quote by Sguit
Replacing a cheapo plastic for a good bone nut can make a pretty big difference in sound.

Especially on acoustic guitars.

Also, a brass nut can help sustain IIRC.
Remember that the nut is only going to improve the tone on open notes anyways. It'll greatly improve your tuning stability though, all in all it's pretty worth it for the $20 it costs for a top-of-the-line nut.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
A graphite nut and some nut oil will improve tuning stability when using a trem exponentially.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
To me it makes a big difference. I would replace a plastic one with either graphite or bone. helps with the tone and sustain as well as you can cut them properly.