Hey all

I have a rather simple question for the local shredders.

Do you change your picking stance in order to tremolo pick, and if not, did you find that your upper limit of tremolo picking speed increased as you practiced, rather than being absolutely limited by the speed of your arm or wrist?

I ask because I've never been happy with my picking stance. The current incarnation of my technique limits my ability to tremolo pick (especially on the high strings), but offers good stability for the picking hand.
When I tremolo pick my palm is actually like 1/2 an inch above the bridge, but when I shred my palm is anchored to the bridge....though sometimes i use my shredding ''stance'' for tremolo picking though it tires me out a lot fatser :/
------------------------------------------------------------------------
your insane, but reasonable
I don't change my stance in order to tremolo pick, and
1. Your arm shouldn't be doing work, your wrist should.
2. The speed of your wrist improves with time, therefore improving your picking speed.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Zoso1994
I don't change my stance in order to tremolo pick, and
1. Your arm shouldn't be doing work, your wrist should.
2. The speed of your wrist improves with time, therefore improving your picking speed.

/thread
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by pigeonmafia
/thread

Almost. :P

I always pick from the wrist anyway, but I've had no reason to believe that the wrist actually gets faster until now.

Still, I bet there are certain picking stances that enable for potentially faster picking, right?

Some people rest the palm lightly on the low strings for stability, some anchor behind the bridge, some use the pinky, some mute with the side of their thumb (which also offers stability).
Quote by Freepower
You shouldn't anchor and you shouldn't be changing position to tremolo.

okay, NOW /thread
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
It doesn't matter what position you have to change your hand in order to tremolo pick as long the tremolo picking is controlled and "tensionless" (is that even a word?), and i mean by that, you actually know exactly how many notes you're picking.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Why would you pick a certain way to play fast and the change is to play slow? just play the same fast or slow.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Changing position would suggest that you need to use different muscles to perform tremolo picking. Since tremolo picking is essentially just alt picking at a high bpm and it is essential to maintain control of your playing regardless of speed, you should tremolo pick the same way you alt pick. The only time I change position is for trem picking on the 6th string and it's really just a slight adjustment of my attack angle. I use big strings and 1.00 picks so it's the only way I can get a clean sound out of it.
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack
I actually have freepower's youtube page bookmarked for quick reference
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.