Hey, I was looking for Marshall valve heads on ebay, and I came across this ( I saw it on there a while ago, but I forgot about it till' now)

Any good for me - maybe with a JCM 1960A 4x12 cab or a 1936 2x12 cab

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marshall-100-Watt-Lead-Bass-Amp-Head_W0QQitemZ110449847796QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item19b752edf4

Oh yes, by the way, I'm trying to get a good Led Zeppelin (early mainly, telecaster days) possibly on single coils. What do we all think to this head and is it valve by the way, thanks!
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate head with 4x12 angled cab

Squier Strat (Fiesta Red) 90's, Korean
Ive never heard of this, anyone have a backstory on the amp without LMGTFY?

Also, anything would be an improvement to a BBBlaster, cause the gay goes to ten.
iif you want a 'page telecaster' sound.. get a telecaster obviously, a vox AC30, a fuzz pedal, and a wah wah
Last edited by pepsi1187 at Oct 25, 2009,
Looks SS to me, normally valve amps have a standby switch. Looks kinda crummy to me as well
ohai little sig.
That's not valve. You would be hard pressed to fit a valve in there standing up by the looks of things. As said, theres no standby switch. Probably mid-late 80s, from a similar time to the Lead 12, at a guess?

Dont be confusing this with a Super Lead or Super Bass.
Last edited by ze monsta at Oct 25, 2009,
I believe that's a Marshall Pre-Amp of some form. I don't think it's a full amp on it's own.
& Yeah that's definitley an SS amp.

You'd be better off going with a proper Marshall head. There's a JMP going in my local shop for £500 with a cab as well. Not sure if Bristol -> Halifax is a bit much just to try/buy an amp though
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by pepsi1187
iif you want a 'page telecaster' sound.. get a telecaster obviously, a vox AC30, a fuzz pedal, and a wah wah
Not an AC30...a Marshall JTM45.
Hmm...

Don't forget I'm on a budget here. I believe, unless I can get a cheap amp, I won't be able to get the telecaster for now, so I will concentrate on the amp.

I've been thinking of a Vox Valvetronix AD50 - AD100VT, perhaps? It's a modelling amp?

Anyway, I've got about £370 worth to spend on either a good amp, or a cheaper amp (Like a Valvetronix AD) and maybe a Fender Stratocaster or Fender Telecaster. I reckon by the time November is here, I will also be able to buy a second hand Dunlop Crybaby, so that gives me the wah...as for the fuzz, well I suppose that will have to wait for a bit!

So, what do you think - Vox AD50VT with a Fender Stratocaster (I have a personal preference for strats, although Page did use a tele in his early days, I'm told that when not on clean, their tones are similar enough) Or should I invest the whole lot in a great valve Marshall?

I expect to be using this stuff in Led Zep tribute band, with my good friend, who is a bassist (This is just a fun little project, nothing big) So I am looking for gear that can come as close to the Early (1969) tones of Jimmy Page as possible. For something very similar to what I'm looking for, think the tones on Communication Breakdown, Dazed and Confused - much of Led Zep I - This live video is what I like most from the band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbA_jQ28HmI

Tell me what you think!
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Oh yes, and by the way how much should I pay max for a second hand original crybaby? Please answer my above question too
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Those Voxes are modeling yes. However they're really good. They can definetly give you that Page tone and many more too. Really good ones.

Otherwise I'd get that Vox AC4 I suggested, or a Blackheart Little Giant. I might sound like a b*tch, but I give you lots of recommendations, but you can NEVER once take them for sure... A lot of the Zep 1 tone comes from using a small tube amp about halfway up and then with a fuzz. But really, when I crank my Blackheart up a bit with my Tele with BK Yardbirds, it's instant Page.

Don't get the Crybaby, a Vox is SO MUCH better, especially for Page.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Getting a good amp is going to get you closer to Page's tone. I thought you were going to get that ValvePower 18W amp?
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
He couldn't afford a Valvepower, so I recommended a Vox AC4 and he seemed to be set on that...
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

The first Zep album was recorded with, I believe, a small Supro amp, and critically, a Tonebender fuzz. They're doing a limited edition reissue that costs about £250, but it's the optimum in terms of early Page tone.
I suggest an AC4 or a Blackheart Killer Ant coupled with a good fuzz - they're often quite pricey. Something like the Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz would be ideal, and the Cool Cat is a great pedal for the price IMO.
Quote by Gabel
He couldn't afford a Valvepower, so I recommended a Vox AC4 and he seemed to be set on that...
Oh yeah, I remember. He's made like a million threads about it, all starting with 'Should I get [insert solid state marshall here]' when he's been told that he needs a tube amp and the marshalls are crap. I don't think he gets that Marshall doesn't automatically mean good .
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
Oh yeah, I remember. He's made like a million threads about it, all starting with 'Should I get [insert solid state marshall here]' when he's been told that he needs a tube amp and the marshalls are crap. I don't think he gets that Marshall doesn't automatically mean good .

Yeah and it seems to him that Marshalls will give the Page tone. Thing is that Page didn't start using them as his main until about '71, he never used any Marshall on Led Zeppelin I at all. That amp was all Supro.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Alright, alright, I understand - you were all beginners at some time, a while ago I was looking at solid state Marshalls. At least I had a sense of tradition! What's more the image of rock than Jimmy Page in front of a Marshall full stack? It was just a beginner's view, and I've now seen the light!

If you hadn't noticed, a Vox Valvetronix is a VOX not a Marshall, so surely you could have picked up on this, that I'm through that stage? And I was also asking about whether the Marshall Lead & Bass head was valve, I don't want a solid state any more! See, these AD Valvetronix amps keep coming up on Ebay and Gumtree for under £100 and I thought maybe this would be a good idea, because I could also get a Fender Stratocaster or Telecaster.

I'm considering all my options, while still taking to heart what you've reccomended me. I'm sorry I don't jump on advice immediatly, It's just how I am, it's bad I know.

So what do you think? AD Valvetronix and a Mexican strat or spend it all on an amp? (like the AC4TV?)
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

I don't mind beginners but you've made like 20 threads.

And get the AC4TV then save a bit more and get a Squier Classic Vibe.

EDIT: Or mod the guitar you have now.

EDIT 2: The Valvetronix is not a tube amp.
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Last edited by ILiKePiNeAppLeS at Oct 26, 2009,
There's nothing wrong with the Pacifica - certainly nothing a Mexi Strat will fix. For classic rock tones up Page's street, I'd either sell the Pacifica and buy a Fender Mexican (or equivalent) Telecaster or an Epiphone (or equivalent) Les Paul (Standard or better) or just stick with the Yammy until you're ready for a professional piece of kit.
Amp wise, I wholeheartedly believe the most authentic early Led Zep you'll get will be either a Blackheart or an AC4TV with a decent fuzz or similar (the Fulltone '69 model springs to mind as cheaper than most competitors of anywhere near its level of quality but is still a fair bit of cash). It's definitely worth considering a modeller though; the Vox VT series or the Peavey Vypyrs are my personal reccomendations - the Vox has better tones in certain places, notably the mid gain tones we're dealing with here, but the Peavey's range of modelled sounds is far more expansive and consistent, with better tones in general.
Quote by The_Bosstone
Not an AC30...a Marshall JTM45.

Not a JTM45....but all manner of Supro, Vox and Hiwatt amps.

Just being pedantic though- a JTM45 does a brilliant Zep tone

I'd save up and get that Valvepower head - absolutely perfect.

The Pacifica series are really good - there's no good reason to 'upgrade' to a Mex Strat, unless you're the kind of guy who cares that it says 'Fender' on the headstock.

Spend all the money you've got on the amp, as that's where 90% of the tone comes from.
The only thing is though, I'm using my Pacifica less and less because I've grown to prefer my Encore, despite it being single coils. I like the feel more, but it's the sound that's the biggest difference...I've got the Encore at my Dad's house, you see, and the Pacifica at my Mum's (I spend equal time at both places, they're only 5 minutes walk from each other) And I'm using a BB Blaster 10 watt with my Pacifica, and a Yamaha Amp (one that came with pacifica) with the Encore.

Maybe it's just the amps, but I prefer the Encore, even though most people seem to think the Yamaha Pacifica 012 is a superior guitar. As for the recomenndation on the VT series, aren't the AD Series supposed to be tons better?

Oh yeah, and on the AC4TV, will it be loud enough to play live? Same for the Little Giant, or will it mean getting a massive speaker cab? Cause' I'd really prefer to keep it mobile if at all possible.

Thanks,
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

you dont need to worry about playing live, most all venues will have a PA system and you'll be miking up the amp, those that dont have a PA system will probably be too small for a 5W anyways (coffee house/jazz club style).

however you should worry about it keeping up with a drummer. the AC4TV, with its 8in? speaker, might not do so well at keeping up with a heavy handed drummer if thats your case. however the little giant should do just fine with a 1x12 cab. the combo is also a great deal because it is a 1x12 combo unlike most small watt amps of its kind.

the other thing if you havent realised so already is that you are buying a single channel amp, so you'll have to get your most distorted sound first then work to clean it up with the guitar's volume knob. after you get a fuzz pedal you should be fine with having your amp on half and relying of fuzz for the rest of your gain range. then kick off hte fuzz and guitar volume for in between sounds.

i sure as hell like the little giant most in its class.
should sound good to use as well.
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
Hmm - Well, considering that, it might be easier if I could get a 2 channel amp that has clean and drive...or atleast drive on it's own. Is there a decent one you can reccomend?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

The combo or the mini stack? Also, will this give me the tone I'm looking for, and do you really dislike Led Zep (I did not know that this was possible)
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Hmm, appealing to any Valvetronix owners here (or experts) what's the difference between the VT Range and the AD Range? Thanks,
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Well the Blackstar would work, but most of the Zep tone is power amp distortion. I only use one channel, works well. Just roll off the volume a bit and voila, clean! I prefer it over multi-channel amps. I said it once and I'll stik by it, the Vox is the best choice. of course get the 10" version though!

The Vox would work. The VT is an upgraded AD range.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by iheartmy7
you dont need to worry about playing live, most all venues will have a PA system and you'll be miking up the amp, those that dont have a PA system will probably be too small for a 5W anyways (coffee house/jazz club style).

Lies! I have never once been mic'd in all the venues I've played in, which is a reasonable number of small venues.

Anywhoo.. TS save up and get the valvepower. You won't regret it. Don't really worry about a new guitar until you've got the amp because you might plug in the yammy and love it. If you still think you need to replace it after that save up and find something.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Hmm, that's interesting - I thought everyone was saying the ads were better than the newer vts?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

If you can't afford the valvepower, I'd say get the little giant. It's very similar.
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Well, what cab would you recommend with the Little Giant, bearing in mind I would like it be loud enough to be able to play live...

By the way, I've heard I can just use a Marshall Powerbrake or Boss EQ Pedal or similar to lower the volume, but keep the tone, so should I get the Little Giant, big cab and the powerbrake or pedal? or what?

Also, is it the size of the speakers that make it louder, I take it rather than the wattage of the head? I'm confused
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

i was just going to recommend the valvepower, then reading the thread i realised i probably already have in a previous thread...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Well, what cab would you recommend with the Little Giant, bearing in mind I would like it be loud enough to be able to play live...

By the way, I've heard I can just use a Marshall Powerbrake or Boss EQ Pedal or similar to lower the volume, but keep the tone, so should I get the Little Giant, big cab and the powerbrake or pedal? or what?

Also, is it the size of the speakers that make it louder, I take it rather than the wattage of the head? I'm confused

I use a 2x12 cab and can overpower my band. A 1x12 is more than enough for live use!

Well a Powerbrake does work, but they are REALLY expensive and IMO sound like crap. a Weber attenautor is much better. The Boss won't do that.

It's both, but basically it's the wattage and then the decibel of one speaker. Really, using a cab with more speakers does make it louder, but not THAT much louder.

If you get the Little Giant, I can tell you, it's loud. When I use it with my band I had to put it at 6 on the 3W mode not to overpower them.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band