Okay, so I am writing this sweep solo for a song that I am working on and the time signature changes at the beginning of it are very strange to me. It seems like there would be a better way to write it out but everything I try does not work. Also, I have no idea what to write for the rhythm track. Here is the tab:

7/8
                        T
   S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S
|-19p15----------15h19-22-19-15-------------|
|-------17----17----------------17----------|
|----------16----------------------16-------|
|-------------------------------------17----|
|----------------------------------------19-|
|-------------------------------------------|

5/8
                                          T
   S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S    S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S
|-------------12-15s17p14----------14h17-20p|=17p14----------------------11---|
|----------13-------------15----15----------|-------15----------------12------|
|-------12-------------------14-------------|----------14----------11---------|
|----14-------------------------------------|-------------16----13------------|
|-15----------------------------------------|----------------17---------------|
|-------------------------------------------|---------------------------------|

H
 6/8
                     T
   S S  S S  S S  S  S  S S  S S
|-12p9---------9h12-18p12p9----9-|
|------11---11--------------11---|
|---------9----------------------|
|--------------------------------|

.=H
                            3/4
   S S S S S S S S S S S S   S S S S S S S S E E   +H.
|-11p7-----9p6-----7p4-----|-6p3-------------3s9-|-(9)----|
|------9-------8-------6---|-----4---------4-----|--------|
|--------8-------9-------7-|-------3-----3-------|--------|
|--------------------------|-----------5---------|--------|
|--------------------------|---------6-----------|--------|
|--------------------------|---------------------|--------|

Q=160
 12/8
   S S S S S  S S  S S S S S  S S S S S  S S  S S S S S
|-11p7---------------------7-11p7---------------------7-|
|------9-----------------9--------9-----------------9---|
|--------8-------------8------------8-------------8-----|
|----------9---------9----------------9---------9-------|
|------------11-6h11--------------------11-6h11---------|
|-------------------------------------------------------|

S S  S S  S  S S  S  S S  S S  S S  S S  S  S S  S  S S  S S
|-12p9-------------------------9-12p9-------------------------9-|
|------11-------------------11--------11-------------------11---|
|---------9---------------9--------------9---------------9------|
|-----------11---------11------------------11---------11--------|
|--------------13-9h13------------------------13-9h13-----------|
|---------------------------------------------------------------|

S  S  S  S  S  S S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S S  S  S  S  S  S
|-14p11---------------------------11-14p11---------------------------11-|
|-------12---------------------12----------12---------------------12----|
|----------11---------------11----------------11---------------11-------|
|-------------13---------13----------------------13---------13----------|
|----------------14-9h14----------------------------14-9h14-------------|
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|

S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S
|-16p12----------------------------12-16p12----------------------------12--|
|-------14----------------------14----------14----------------------14-----|
|----------13----------------13----------------13----------------13--------|
|-------------14----------14----------------------14----------14-----------|
|----------------16-11h16----------------------------16-11h16--------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|-19p15----------------------------15-19p15----------------------------15-|
|-------17----------------------17----------17----------------------17----|
|----------16----------------16----------------16----------------16-------|
|-------------17----------17----------------------17----------17----------|
|----------------19-14h19----------------------------19-14h19-------------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|-20p17----------------------------17-20p17----------------------------17--|
|-------19----------------------19----------19----------------------19-----|
|----------17----------------17----------------17----------------17--------|
|-------------19----------19----------------------19----------19-----------|
|----------------21-17h21----------------------------21-17h21--------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|

4/4
   S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S
|-22p19-------22p19-------22p19-------22p19-------|
|-------20----------20----------20----------20----|
|----------19----------19----------19----------19-|
|-------------------------------------------------|

|-20p17-------20p17-------20p17-------20p17--------|
|-------19----------19----------19----------19-----|
|----------17----------17----------17----------17--|
|--------------------------------------------------|

H
|-19p15-------19p15-------19p15-------19p15-------|
|-------17----------17----------17----------17----|
|----------16----------16----------16----------16-|

.=H
 6/4
   S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S   S    S    S    S   +Q.
|-17p14-------17p14-------17p14-------17p14-(14)-(14)-(14)--14--(14)---|
|-------16----------16----------16-----------16--(16)--16--(16)-(16)---|
|----------14----------14----------14-------------14--(14)-(14)-(14)---|
|----------------------------------------------------------------------|

Q=80
 4/4
     H       H         W
|-^<12>----^<7>----|-^<5>----*|
|------------------|---------*|

Could someone help me out with this?
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by z4twenny
if i wanna fart into a mic, run it thru delay and an auto tuner set to the key of E and set it to a drum beat i can and its music.
Anyone? This is really bugging me.

Quote by z4twenny
if i wanna fart into a mic, run it thru delay and an auto tuner set to the key of E and set it to a drum beat i can and its music.
What chords are you playing? When you answer that question, play those chords under the sweeps.
Quote by timeconsumer09
What chords are you playing? When you answer that question, play those chords under the sweeps.

I have already thought of that and I don't want it to be that simple. I am not saying that I am purposefully trying to make it intricate, just that I have tried that and didn't like the way it sounded. Thanks for the advice, though.

Quote by z4twenny
Quote by isaac_bandits
You should write the rhythm track before the solo...

I don't understand why that would make a difference. What if I come up with a solo just out of the blue and like it? Am I supposed to discard it just because I didn't come up with a rhythm track first?

Quote by z4twenny
Quote by DrPeppler
I don't understand why that would make a difference. What if I come up with a solo just out of the blue and like it? Am I supposed to discard it just because I didn't come up with a rhythm track first?

I would. Whenever I hear a really good solo, its only that good because of the rhythm that goes under it. Without harmonic context solos tend not to sound very good. You could keep it and try and come up with a rhythm part, or just save it until it proves to be useful over a certain rhythm part, by coincidence.

I always find a solo that "I come up with out of the blue and I like" (read: random shredding), its always easier to do away with it, and use similar melodic ideas over a good rhythm part I have already. You're free to do what you like with it, but good rhythm parts are always harder to come up with than good solos, so I'd suggest limiting your options for your solo, than limiting your options for the rhythm part.
Quote by isaac_bandits
I would. Whenever I hear a really good solo, its only that good because of the rhythm that goes under it. Without harmonic context solos tend not to sound very good. You could keep it and try and come up with a rhythm part, or just save it until it proves to be useful over a certain rhythm part, by coincidence.

I always find a solo that "I come up with out of the blue and I like" (read: random shredding), its always easier to do away with it, and use similar melodic ideas over a good rhythm part I have already. You're free to do what you like with it, but good rhythm parts are always harder to come up with than good solos, so I'd suggest limiting your options for your solo, than limiting your options for the rhythm part.

I understand where you are coming from and it is probably more beneficial to write a rhythm part before writing the solo. But aren't rhythm parts under a solo just progressions usually, thus making it easy to come up with a rhythm part for the solo since it follows SOME type of progression?

Quote by z4twenny
Quote by DrPeppler
I understand where you are coming from and it is probably more beneficial to write a rhythm part before writing the solo. But aren't rhythm parts under a solo just progressions usually, thus making it easy to come up with a rhythm part for the solo since it follows SOME type of progression?

The rhythm part and the solo both will follow some sort of a progression. I've always found the rhythm part harder to come up with, since it essentially defines what the solo will sound like, while the solo might be the main listening point, but it wouldn't sound like much without the rhythm part.
Well for the rhythm you do need to work out the underlying chords used and then you can work out how you want to play that playing it as roots, 3rds or 5ths of the chord. you could also experiment adding 7ths etc but that will give a very particular sound.
Quote by DrPeppler

Wait... you're asking us for help with a lead part over timings you don't understand and with no backing as yet composed...

My advice is have some kind of idea what you're doing before you start composing.

And seeing as you're obviously exporting this tab from some kind of MIDI program, why not upload the raw files and midi so we can hear it?
Try notating it as triplets and see if that works.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Oct 26, 2009,
Quote by Freepower
Wait... you're asking us for help with a lead part over timings you don't understand and with no backing as yet composed...

My advice is have some kind of idea what you're doing before you start composing.

And seeing as you're obviously exporting this tab from some kind of MIDI program, why not upload the raw files and midi so we can hear it?

No, I understand the timings. That is why I have written it this way. What I was asking is if there was a way that I could write it differently so that it would not seem so confusing because if I were to try to sight-read this, I would be thinking "wtf..?" I have recently messed around with it and think that I have came to the best way to do it that there is. As for uploading it, I would be more than glad to (I have it playing on piano because I think it has a nicer MIDI tone).
Attachments:
Progressed Aspects Between Venus and Mars - Island Universe - Sweeps.ptb

Quote by z4twenny
I would leave it in the timings in the midi, tbh, it's not exactly rhythmically defined and unless you have specific accents in your head for the lead or rhythm then I think there's no reason not to leave it as is.
honestly...i would trash that solo and start over. it is true, u need to write a rhythm part first for overall cohesion and dynamics. also, when u write ANYTHING keep in mind rhythm, because that is how you puncuate your melodies/harmonies. its gonna sound completely random and awkward if certain scale degrees are sounding wherever. for example, tonics would generally be sounded on a strong beat in a solo like that.

i would come up with the time signature first, what rhythm u choose is up to you. decide whether or not u want a compound time signature, swing, clave, or something simple like 4/4. THEN write the harmony. and THEN write the lead. just take that solo u wrote apart, and repair it after u have laid down the foundation.
"Art is the proper task of man" - Friedrich Nietzsche

There is no god, there is only The Doors...Opeth...and IWABO (the unholy trinity)

Quote by DrPeppler
No, I understand the timings. That is why I have written it this way. What I was asking is if there was a way that I could write it differently so that it would not seem so confusing because if I were to try to sight-read this, I would be thinking "wtf..?" I have recently messed around with it and think that I have came to the best way to do it that there is. As for uploading it, I would be more than glad to (I have it playing on piano because I think it has a nicer MIDI tone).

You need to understand simple and compound time signatures. Most of what your playing there would fit better played as triplets, which will sort out where accented notes fall too.
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll write rhythm track for it and tweak it from there.

Quote by z4twenny