Page 1 of 6
So, there will be no more growling thread in the metal forum? Or will we have 2 separate ones?
Quote by The Kreator
So, there will be no more growling thread in the metal forum? Or will we have 2 separate ones?

Epic pwnage.
Just a thought, but there are a some experienced growlers that visit the metal forum frequently. And by moving the thread it would mean that they probably won't look in in, which could lead to people not learning the right technique and hurting themselves since there aren't anyone experienced enough to give them advice.

A better thing would imo to have a link to the growling thread in the singing forum and keep the growling thread in the metal forum.
The best technique is no technique
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Like the technique I did on your mom
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Makes it easier
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Honestly though, here's how I acquired my plethora of voices when it comes to Metal vokills. I've been doing this for more then half my life, and it worked out just fine for me.

Get a microphone
Get friends
Set up a jamming era
Plug in microphone, guitar, bass, an set up a drum set
Jam passionately
Write music every now and then

Rinse wash repeat.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Seems like a terrible idea, to be honest. I can see people being given wrong advice, etc.
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
any discussion on growling will be directed to that thread
i thought about saying no because of metal regs not looking in the thread over there, but then what would be the point of having a vocals forum, once they merge it or whatever they want to do with it there i was going to link to it here, if someone asks how to trem pick in the metal forum shouldn't they not be directed to the guitar forum?
people were already being given wrong advice over there, now theres a huge resource to clear some misunderstandings, so now people with questions can ask there, and people who know what they're talking about and like helping people can answer them there

snypedit: and well heres the link
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1208630&page=1&pp=40
My sig is better than yours
^

Well, my growls are shit, but I'm just doing them for fun and they don't hurt, so I'm content with what I have.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Same with me. I don't have the best growls in the world but it impresses some people I know so I find it amusing.
I'm a quite experienced vocalist but its time to get even better. I noticed after awhile of doing vocals my throat starts to feel stressed as if I've been talking for awhile. Of course, it does not hurt. I'm past that. Anyway, is this from lack of warming up or is there an exercise I can do to make my throat stronger, etc so I can do vocals for a longer period of time without feeling this discomfort.
xThrashxAttackx
Last edited by NeonTerror at Nov 19, 2009,
Dude, I try to practice growling everday.

Listening to Death Metal really helps.
I drink your milkshake.
I do a kick ass Runhild Gammelsæter impersonation.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
anybody have any advice on how to do better high pitched vocals?
ive got my growling and lower scream down well, but i cant seem to pin down high stuff.
I'm not quite sure either. I've been told you use a falsetto but make it harsh, but I have no clue how to make it harsh. You're talking about shrieking and stuff like that right? Raspy highs are pretty easy to do, but the shrieks and stuff like that are tough.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
I'm not quite sure either. I've been told you use a falsetto but make it harsh, but I have no clue how to make it harsh. You're talking about shrieking and stuff like that right? Raspy highs are pretty easy to do, but the shrieks and stuff like that are tough.

I think he's talking about raspy highs, I'm also wondering how to do them since I have a bit of a problem doing those.
hmm I really don't have any problems with the raspy highs. To me it came almost naturally, I just kinda push it from the back of my throat and they sound decent and don't hurt or anything.

Sumdeus
Hm.. well I'll maybe upload a cover of festering in the crypt which I just made, you can hear my ****ed up high screams in there.
go for it man. Check some of my Unjesus stuff, I don't use highs a whole lot but there are some in there, see if that's the kind of shit you're talking about.

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
go for it man. Check some of my Unjesus stuff, I don't use highs a whole lot but there are some in there, see if that's the kind of shit you're talking about.

Okay, I will later on when I'm done taking a shower and everything.
Well,I've been practising death growling for 2 years now.First I found it hard to get lower in the vocals (yeah,puberty was still in existence some way) Now that I'm 18,I can do lower and higher vocals,but nowhere near falsetto..(or whatever it is in english you understand me,I guess..)
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by KreatorRage
Does anyone know how I can do the scream in the beginning?
I don't want to replicate it, I just want to know how I can go that high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKIw-QmM1A0

Well,I don't find the words how to describe it man (btw,that is one of the best workout songs for me xD) Uhm..You could try taking a good breath inside,then slowly release it with a high distorted voice..I don't know. I suck at describing things.Anyhow,I got 70% near with that,but yeah the description sucks..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

anybody know how to do the 'Swedish Yell'?

Y'know, the sort of harsh yell Johan Liiva used on Arch Enemy's first 3 albums and Dismember's vocallist has always done. I've tried merely yelling whilst pushing from the diaphragm, it sounds alright but kinda hurts the throat so I know that's wrong...
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Quote by to45t
anybody have any advice on how to do better high pitched vocals?
ive got my growling and lower scream down well, but i cant seem to pin down high stuff.

It takes some playing with, but how i do it is i try to air flow to the back of my throat. It creates a sort of nasaly sound, but its pretty clean...mine is at least.
I've gotten to the point that I can let out a pretty fierce growl. I've gotten my range to an acceptable level as well.

Quote by TheTortured
anybody know how to do the 'Swedish Yell'?

Y'know, the sort of harsh yell Johan Liiva used on Arch Enemy's first 3 albums and Dismember's vocallist has always done. I've tried merely yelling whilst pushing from the diaphragm, it sounds alright but kinda hurts the throat so I know that's wrong...

Ja, I can do it. Do your typical death growl, except open your throat up as much as possible. Let the sound emit just below your vocal chords, but at the same time hit your false chords about 1/4 of the way. Thats how i do it, and its a lot like dismember....
Jackson RR5 Pro w/ SD passives
Steinberger GU-7r Custom w/ EMG's
Last edited by Paulfocused at Dec 31, 2009,
i can only do low pitched death growls cant even get to mid-range so i just gave up, anyone know any vocal exercises/ technniques i could do to get a higher pitched growl
Quote by Keth
Hmm, anyone has any advice for the 'standard', more mid-range growl?
I can only do gutterals for some reason =\

Read my post on pushing in the beginning of the thread.

Reposting this here to get more attention:
Everyone please read this

I'd really like to finish up those faqs in the beginning and if there is enough demand for it, (faggotry... I'm really tired of seeing questions about Randy Blythe's shit voice) maybe even a guide for vocal fry.

Here's what I need:

Send me a pm with the vocal style you'd like to cover in the title. This can even be one that was already covered as it may contain additional info that wasn't included in the first.

In the body of the message give me a link to something that demonstrates your mastery over said vocal style. I'm sorry to put everyone on the spot but I don't want to post info for others suggested by someone who doesn't even have a good growl them self. We're not here to make you feel good but to further our own progress.

If I select you to write up something you'll get a pm within a day or two describing what I'd like.
Last edited by King ofKumbucha at Jan 6, 2010,
Anyone know what effect Dave Vincent uses on Where The Slime Live for his vocals?
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
Quote by beadhangingOne
That's pretty good but I think you need to push from your diaphragm.

like this? grrRRRrrr!!!!!
scarily accurate
People think that entertainers are very different from regular people, but we're not. You work hard for your money, we work hard for your money -Gene Simmons

Seven String Legion

Quote by ctfod
Ov Bone and the Marrow

Interpret, Adapt, Overcome.
Everyone remember,if you start to taste blood,you're doing the growling wrong.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard