Page 1 of 2
I sent my les paul to get set up and it cost me 60$.
how much does getting your guitar set up cost?
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
when i used to pay for set-ups it was always $50 at guitar center, sam ash, and 2 other techs I went to
Yeah, it used to cost me around 50 or 60 bucks. I decided it was cheaper to get a couple of books and learn how to do it all myself.
There is no greater joy than soaring high on the wings of your dreams, except maybe the joy of watching a dreamer who has nowhere to land but in the ocean of reality.

I'm back!
I payed 60 dollars when I took my SG into the only guy that I could find in my area that could do it. That included calibrating pickup height and a new pair of strings. I thought it seemed a bit more than it should be, but I don't know how to properly set up a guitar so I didn't really have an alternative.
Quote by Andian03
Yeah, it used to cost me around 50 or 60 bucks. I decided it was cheaper to get a couple of books and learn how to do it all myself.

I'd love to be able to do it myself - did that work out well for you?
I actually do it myself now, I've never had any of my guitar professionaly set up, I need to have it done on my acoustic though, I dont even want to jack with it, but on electrics its actually fairly easy. I learned everything about setting up guitars from UG.
It used to cost me $40. I THINK it included inntonation, truss rod, bridge adjustment, and new strings. I do it myself now, and I enjoy doing it.
Stuff:
-Orange Tiny Terror head
-Roland Cube 20x
-Ibanez SA
-Ibanez RG7321
-Fender MIM Strat
-EB Music Man SUB 1
Quote by a7xplayer
Cost my last guitar $300. What do you guys get done with the 50-60$ dollar set up's? I'm curious as to why you guys payed so little and I payed $300?

Dude, you got ripped off badly, you should of just bought a new guitar with that money or something. A full setup should never cost over the most $70.
Setting up a guitar takes practice, but is fairly easy in the long run. Most manufactures actually give pretty detailed info on their websites about the subject. They usually cover the things that you will need to do it, recommended pickup height, original string height, bridge setup, etc. There are also a good number of books that cover it as well and they usually give other setups that will work too. Kind of like if you prefer a lower action, what adjustments you should expect to make overall besides just adjusting the neck. UG offers a really good list of articles on the subject as well.

I prefer doing it myself now. I always check my guitar over when I get it home, even if the place I get it from says that they already did. Its a good thing to learn because it really gets you more involved with your instrument besides just tuning and playing it. It gives me more appreciation for what I have. I do all of my own work nowadays. From changing strings to completely revamping my guitars with aftermarket parts. It saves money and time, and lets me know that I will work to get it right, not put my axe in some elses hands that doesn't appreciate what I have as much as I do.
There is no greater joy than soaring high on the wings of your dreams, except maybe the joy of watching a dreamer who has nowhere to land but in the ocean of reality.

I'm back!
Quote by ethan_hanus
Dude, you got ripped off badly, you should of just bought a new guitar with that money or something. A full setup should never cost over the most $70.

I dont know though. I seemed to get a lot more then you guys did, I got frets filed and stuff like that, lowered action, frets moved, some other stuff I cant remember. All of it done to my exact specifications. All of it was done incredibly well and my guitar plays like a dream now. Did you guys get that for 50$ ?
Quote by a7xplayer
Cost my last guitar $300. What do you guys get done with the 50-60$ dollar set up's? I'm curious as to why you guys payed so little and I payed $300?

The only time I have ever heard someone charging that much was for a 62 Jaguar that was a particularly had to find version. The fact that it was so rare made the guy that did the work really uneasy. He did just fine but charged more because of the risk.

It should never get too expensive. At that point, you should go to someone else and ask what all they do when the setup a guitar. Not everyone views setting up the same way.

I'm back!
A couple of recommendations about setting up a guitar:

1) I would suggest learning to do it yourself. By doing this, you will not only have a properly set guitar, but you will have learned a new and useful skill.

In my experience, the best way to learn is to take your guitar to one of your experienced friends and watch them go through the process. If you don't feel like trusting any of your buddies with your guitar, go and find the cool old guy who hangs out at jam sessions. (He'll be the one who DOESN'T "shred" but everyone claps like crazy when he's done soloing...) Go ask if you can get together some Saturday and set up your instrument.

2) If you would rather take it to a shop, make sure you take it to the right place.

To get the best set up, I like to go to a smaller music shop that specializes in high-end and vintage stuff. It seems like they're guy just understands instruments a bit better. Perhaps surprisingly, I've never had to pay any more money ($50-$60)to take it to my local hole-in-the-wall when compared to guitar center, and I've always loved the results. Occasionally, you will have to wait a week or two for them to get your guitar done, but it always seems worth it.

Also, if the guitar guy at the local shop is willing to let you watch and ask intelligent questions, you can get the best of both worlds.

Hope this helps. Cheers, and congrats on the LP.
Quote by a7xplayer
I dont know though. I seemed to get a lot more then you guys did, I got frets filed and stuff like that, lowered action, frets moved, some other stuff I cant remember. All of it done to my exact specifications. All of it was done incredibly well and my guitar plays like a dream now. Did you guys get that for 50$ ?

The last time I let someone else do it, I had my old Strat. I had what I consider normal for setting up (intonation, string, and pickup height adjusted, new set of strings put on, the bridge adjusted, and the finish was cleaned and polished) as well as having a new set of pickups and pickguard installed (all of which I purchased beforehand), the frets were filed and polished, new tuners and a couple of frets replaced. This was all done for $60. The guitar was well used and in bad shape but was freaking amazing after it all. After that I decided to learn how to do it all myself.

I'm back!
Quote by a7xplayer

trust rod adjustment, intonation, action, pickup height adjustment, frets filed, and a new set of strings installed.
I set up my guitar myself. It really isn't all that hard: all you really need is a tuner, a screwdriver, a ruler, and some patience and you can take care of basic things like setting the action and intonation and raising/lowering pickups. It's worth learning to do it yourself.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Quote by a7xplayer

Frets filed? Frets moved? How do you move frets without jacking up the neck? But when you start jacking with anything to do with modfying then thats when it gets expensive, adjusting things is cheap.
where can i learn height adjustments and stuff? BTW, does GC sell any of theze bookz?
B.C. Rich Body Art Collection June Flesh Ring Warlock

Marshall 8040 Valvestate

1978 Peavey Classic VT 212 amp

All this 4 sale
Quote by ShallowEndings
$150, which is like $70 for the majority of you.

I wanted B, got D.. Took it back, waited 2 months before they rang and said its ready.. Went to play and it felt like i was playing spaghetti strings with fret buzz. Still the same..

Farking hell that's disappointing. And I once paid 7 bucks for someone to change an E string for me, the person that did it looked half my age so I felt like a total noob
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Farking hell that's disappointing. And I once paid 7 bucks for someone to change an E string for me, the person that did it looked half my age so I felt like a total noob

........aren't you asian?

You got ripped off mate!
I'm asking because this is the first time i've ever sent a guitar to get set up!
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Mine are usually £50 for a restring, truss rod, action, intonation, and a wiring check. For another £20 I think, I get the frets filed.
Quote by azn_guitarist25

Well the neck was warping or something, action was high etc.. I kind of understood the price at first, but 2 months? Its just hard to alternate pick when the strings bend.
i think it was like 20 or 30 euros for thruss rod, intonation, bridge heigth, plus new set of Gibson .10's set strings (my Fav!)

i thougth that was expensive enough damn i see people 60$ on here O_O
it depends on what setup you go for (i do it myself =£6 for strings the only immediate cost)

the tech i normally use and reccomend, charges £40 for a TOM or 2 point trem equipped guitar and £45 for a double locking trem equipped guitar (+strings).

before gibson started using the PLEK machine in the factory i had my LP setup on a PLEK and cost me £150 the difference in the machine doing it and a good tech doing it was marginally noticeable.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Oct 26, 2009,
Quote by edge11
........aren't you asian?

You got ripped off mate!
I'm asking because this is the first time i've ever sent a guitar to get set up!

Yes, though not too sure what you are trying to imply unless it's the all asians are smart in which case all you have to do is look at me and that claim goes down the toilet...

Quote by ShallowEndings
Well the neck was warping or something, action was high etc.. I kind of understood the price at first, but 2 months? Its just hard to alternate pick when the strings bend.

Well I don't know I still think it seems a bit too high and it obviously took too long, as long as you get someone reliable who won't rip you off then that's the best thing.
Quote by David BcRich
where can i learn height adjustments and stuff? BTW, does GC sell any of theze bookz?

Most guitar manufacturers will have the factory set heights for everything on their website. Just look for a "support" page on the website. GC usually does but one thing that I have noticed is that no two will carry the same books. So mine has a few but that doesn't mean the one close to you will. A good place to check is Books-a-million or Barnes and Noble. They both carry a something about everything.

I'm back!
10 €, where I live.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
About 30€.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Usually $30 from this guy local to me. Does everything for you and fixes minor issues as well. Also shows you how to do the setup so you don't have to spend any money besides strings. Of course, now I know how to do it myself so it's free. But the guy has tons of knowledge so I bring it by every once in a while to learn some more stuff.
Quote by David BcRich

Just use the search bar and find a thread on it. I know theres an ultimate guitar setup thread somewhere. But just read up on it on the internet or here on UG and you should be able to set up your guitar fairly easily.
Quote by David BcRich

click the green link in my sig.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by edge11
I sent my les paul to get set up and it cost me 60$.
how much does getting your guitar set up cost?

Too much IMO... these guys rip and burn all day long on set ups. I would tell anybody to get familiar with there own guitars and learn how to set up for yourself.

Anybody who doesn't know how to do it is usually amazed at how well their guitar plays after a good setup; but anybody who does know how to do it is amazed that techs can get away with charging so much. It's typically 10-20 minutes of work.

Read up on how to do it... it's not that hard. The truss rod isn't going to break... just make small adjustments and observe the effects. The saddles will adjust the string height... it's not that phenomenal... take the time to learn how.

If you only have one guitar and it's a nice one and you don't want to take any chances then by all means have a tech do it, but you will save yourself a lot of grief (and money!) if you learn how to do it yourself.

Also, some techs do a lousy job... you don't want to be at the mercy of techs all the time. You really only need a good tech for fretwork and repair.
~JP~
Quote by ethan_hanus
I actually do it myself now, I've never had any of my guitar professionaly set up, I need to have it done on my acoustic though, I dont even want to jack with it, but on electrics its actually fairly easy. I learned everything about setting up guitars from UG.

I'm pretty much exactly the same. Have never had any of my guitars professionally set up but given what it costs it is definitely better to learn to do it yourself. I also think that this is good stuff to know as a guitarist. To be completely unaware of how to do this stuff is kind of like a clothes designer not being able to sew; not essential but it just makes good sense.

I agree acoustics are slightly trickier. Luckily for me last time it needed setting up at my local store some guy from Taylor had come and was offering free setups for people who had bought Taylors from that store. Free setup and strings!
Quote by Andian03
Setting up a guitar takes practice, but is fairly easy in the long run. Most manufactures actually give pretty detailed info on their websites about the subject. They usually cover the things that you will need to do it, recommended pickup height, original string height, bridge setup, etc. There are also a good number of books that cover it as well and they usually give other setups that will work too. Kind of like if you prefer a lower action, what adjustments you should expect to make overall besides just adjusting the neck. UG offers a really good list of articles on the subject as well.

I prefer doing it myself now. I always check my guitar over when I get it home, even if the place I get it from says that they already did. Its a good thing to learn because it really gets you more involved with your instrument besides just tuning and playing it. It gives me more appreciation for what I have. I do all of my own work nowadays. From changing strings to completely revamping my guitars with aftermarket parts. It saves money and time, and lets me know that I will work to get it right, not put my axe in some elses hands that doesn't appreciate what I have as much as I do.

can i have a link to one such site? because i'd really like to do it myself, overtime it will save money, and be fun..thanks

edit: nevermind found it on the ibanez website
Last edited by camaross427 at Oct 26, 2009,
just brought all my guitars to the guitar factory cost 30 bucks for all 3!!! strat needed nothing the other 2 got new strings and truss adjustments.
chk out the guitar factory if you live near orlando they are fuc.... awesome,also every saturday they do setups while you wait!!! from 9-4 cant beat them.
Page 1 of 2