Hey guys just looking for some opinions here. I picked up an old Johnson by Axl strat a while back and even though I can find very little info on it, the info I find tells me it's a pretty low end guitar. That being said, it still sends pretty great coming through my amp, and I much prefer it over my Epiphone and others for many things.

It certainly isn't perfect though, it needs to be set up, as everything is messed up but I was just wondering how effective some new pickups would be, as the pickups on it are Johnson pickups designed by EMG, not all that great. I'm not trying to spend a fortune here, I was looking at these: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Tex-Mex-Pickups-set-of-3-100365097-i1388516.gc. If I were to pick these up, do you think it would make a worthwhile difference? Would they even work on my guitar? I don't play metal or anything I'm more of a blues/classic rock style and these seem to be nice yea?

Also, just a general question. Can you make a general statement about the weight of a guitar? I've been looking at other strats and they all seem a lot lighter than mine, does this mean mine is higher quality/lower/can't be known without more info... Thanks!
Last edited by thekidkid32 at Oct 25, 2009,
Quote by thekidkid32

I was looking at these: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Tex-Mex-Pickups-set-of-3-100365097-i1388516.gc. If I were to pick these up, do you think it would make a worthwhile difference? Would they even work on my guitar? I don't play metal or anything I'm more of a blues/classic rock style and these seem to be nice yea?

They should work on your guitar, although in your case I'd probably replace all of the electronics (so not just the pickups but the pots and switch as well). Usually the stock electronics on low end guitars are a bit iffy, so you might as well replace everything, to get the most out of your new pickups (plus it also improves reliability).

Keep in mind though that while installing new pickups isn't that hard, you do need to know what you're doing and some previous experience with a soldering iron is recommended. You might want to take it to a good guitar tech if you're not sure about it (if you buy the pickups at a local store, they may be willing to install them for you).

Also, you need a good responsive (preferably tube) amp to be able to fully appreciate the difference.

Quote by thekidkid32

Also, just a general question. Can you make a general statement about the weight of a guitar? I've been looking at other strats and they all seem a lot lighter than mine, does this mean mine is higher quality/lower/can't be known without more info... Thanks!

Nope, simply because there are many different woods out there and they all have different weights.

Even two pieces of the same kind of wood can vary in weight, depending on the density. A piece of maple from a Canadian tree will most likely be heavier than a piece of maple from a warmer region.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!