So it's time for a new guitar. I will be upgrading from a squier strat and have around $800 (cad) to spend. I play mostly blues and jazz but sometimes get into heavier rock such as Oasis, Matthew Good and other Indie style bands. Essentially I am looking for versatility. I have been considering two options for myself:

- A new Epiphone Sheraton
- A used 1987 68' reissue japanese strat.

I am very used to the feel of a strat and prefer it over most guitars however i am thinking the sheraton would be more versatile (especially for blues, jazz, and indie).

Which of the two would you recomend? Any other suggestions not listed above?
Free Mumia
jap strats from the eighties were great guitars

strat all the way
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
They both have their fair share of pros and cons.
I personally prefer the Sheraton, but that's just me.

Also consider littler stuff.
The Sheraton is gonna weigh more than the Strat, and most likely have more sustain, but take much less abuse, and won't be broken in.

I recommend that you play both, look them over extensively, and make your choice based on your preference.
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
id get the strat, but thats just me
go play the hell out of both of them then choose for yourself, no one can tell you whats best for you other than you
Yeah...play them both and see man...I like those 80s models japanese Fenders...but you have to really find out for yourself.
There is no greater joy than soaring high on the wings of your dreams, except maybe the joy of watching a dreamer who has nowhere to land but in the ocean of reality.

I'm back!
Well as everyone keeps saying try them both
But imo the strat seems the better option. Also it's that classic pawshop guitar everyone wants
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Mid 80's Japanese Fenders are the way forward.

However, they are completely different guitars and you should definitely think through what you are after, both sound wise and playability wise.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
i love my 57 reissued strat 86 mij. unlike my friend's mexican strat you can definitely tell the difference between each pickups. just cause of that versatility is par none,