So...
Currently using a MIM Stratocaster - sunburst, no upgrades. - EDIT - made in 2005
Looking at an SG - special faded, cherry -- $500 on CL - EDIT - made in 2003

Would it be a better decision to get the SG or keep the Strat?

Observations:
SG neck feels alright; maybe a bit grainy
SG frets seem tall and a bit harder to slide over

Only somewhat open to suggestions for other guitars; took more than a few hours to narrow options down to the SG. Budget cap is 500 - not looking for anything to keep in a glass case.

Playing: The Who, Led Zeppelin, Santana, Rolling Stones - to name a few.

Using Vox AC and/or Marshall AVT amp with various effects.
"I have terrible hearing trouble. I have unwittingly helped to invent and refine a type of music that makes its principal proponents deaf." - Pete Townshend
Last edited by pinballwizard96 at Oct 27, 2009,
i like the sg for your style but the faded series is awful better off going epi at that point. most of the bands you talk about use humbuckers so that is the first thing you will need. I might consider looking for used studio lp or save a little more money
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Quote by JayLacelle
gibson or epi?

No Epi SG is worth $500.
........................,;:/|Simply~~Strings|\:;,......................
Quote by JustRooster
I love you forever.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
That Rick Roll was extremely well played.
The faded series isn't that bad...mine had a great sound and was fun to play. The problem you face between Fender and Gibson is that you can expect every Fender to sound the same within its series. You cannot get that from Gibson. Gibson makes great guitars and you will have to actually play the SG to make sure it is right for you. Personally, depending on when the MIM Strat was made...I would keep it and get the SG if you can afford that. Newer MIM Strats are alot better than they were a few years ago because Fender has been revamping all of their lines. I have a newer one and really enjoy it.
There is no greater joy than soaring high on the wings of your dreams, except maybe the joy of watching a dreamer who has nowhere to land but in the ocean of reality.

I'm back!
lol my friend is in the same situation as you. he's willing to add 150-200 on top of the trade for my other friend's sg faded. i would personally just keep the strat, but he is a metal head, so to him the strat sounds tingly and weak.
I'd have to say SG.
Unless you decide to change your Strat pickups.

SG is fucking versatile. Big time. Great tone.
Strats sound really nice, but you have to find a place where to fit them.
@joey:
- on the faded series being awful, could you back it up? Not for or against it right now.
- seriously considered a studio LP, but it just didn't feel right at all

@jay: see simplystrings' post

@andian:
- will get the year made & put up tomorrow - EDIT: 2005
- not looking to have both; otherwise, I would already have done so
"I have terrible hearing trouble. I have unwittingly helped to invent and refine a type of music that makes its principal proponents deaf." - Pete Townshend
Last edited by pinballwizard96 at Oct 26, 2009,
Get the SG and put p90s in it!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
townshend played an sg special. mim stratz suck
B.C. Rich Body Art Collection June Flesh Ring Warlock

Marshall 8040 Valvestate

1978 Peavey Classic VT 212 amp

All this 4 sale
Keep the Fender...I would even go as far to suggest instead of getting the Gibson, replace the pickups on the strat. MIM strats are not that bad nowadays...alot better than they were ten years ago. I enjoy the one that I have and use it as often live as any of my other guitars. I have owned several gibsons and fenders and enjoyed the Faded SG I had. But honestly...if I buy another Faded SG, the first thing I am going to do is swap the pickups on it.
There is no greater joy than soaring high on the wings of your dreams, except maybe the joy of watching a dreamer who has nowhere to land but in the ocean of reality.

I'm back!
Quote by David BcRich
townshend played an sg special. mim stratz suck

That's a pretty big assumption you have there.

Change your strat for HSS setup, change pickups to suit the style. Almost all those bands have used strats or teles (except maybe Santana). So really, just throw a humbucker in the bridge and you can nail all of those.
Alright; will go with swapping out pickups, especially since the SG went off CL and I'm tired of window shopping on there.

Any suggestions as far as HSS setups?
Quote by SimplyStrings
No Epi SG is worth $500.

um look at the gibson website. the standard is like 450 and the custom is like 700.
Quote by pinballwizard96
Alright; will go with swapping out pickups, especially since the SG went off CL and I'm tired of window shopping on there.

Any suggestions as far as HSS setups?

I've heard good things about the JB humbucker. For single coils you can get the Custom Shop '69s, Custom Shop '54s, or you can go into the boutique makers (which will let you buy the single coils without doing the sets of 3) such as Lindy Fralin, Klein, and CorduroyEW's company (He's on UG).
Quote by pinballwizard96
@joey:
- on the faded series being awful, could you back it up? Not for or against it right now.
- seriously considered a studio LP, but it just didn't feel right at all

he's just hopping on the gibson low end model hate bandwagon. There's nothing wrong with the faded models at all, you just gotta find one that does feel and sound right because they are all very different - likewise the same goes for a les paul studio - just because you played one that didn't feel right, doesn't mean none of them will, unless of course it was to do with certain features of the design that you didn't like. you've just gotta hunt down a good one, and when you do find it you'll know. this applies to any guitar really. no piece of wood is identical to the next piece.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
If you're going for HSS, Seymour Duncan do some great single coil-sized 'buckers, i can recommend the lil '59 or the lil screamin' demon
Alder?? What's that? Sounds like a poor substitute for ash to me...
well how much do you like your strat, and is it good or a lemon from mexico
solved - bought a PRS SE Singlecut and kept the Strat to replace pickups.
Nice one! Pics?
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination