so I think I know why I cant find bandmates on the same musical page as me...

Its not that Im not finding good players (though that hasnt been happening often it does).

most of the people I find arent interested in playing the same genre as I am, and when they are, they do it in entirely another style. The genre Im talking about is Metal, which Im sure all of you UGers know has a billion sub-denominations and styles.

so recently I was thinking about how most of the bands I like tend to come from certain parts of the world, and then I realized, 99% of it was from europe, and a great deal of it from Britain.

I then noticed that the bands other people I tend to find like actually are coming from here in the US -- Megadeth, Metallica, Anthrax, Korn, pantera, machine head, etc.

so I looked it up on google, and indeed others have noticed this difference in metal scenes.

see Im looking to essentially start a band that is influenced by a LOT more of whats going on in europe, as in all honesty, I can only stomach a small amount of the majority of american metal. I can listen to a little bit of thrash here and there, but not much else, and not too much of any of it.

sure there's still a fair amount of other metal coming out of the US, but this is just something I observed in a majority of it.

I like the variation of fast paced and slow riffs, intricate complexity of the instruments, possibly difficult yet melodic solos possibly simple just not dumbed down or noisy, a wide ranged vocalist with NO Screaming (I HATE the screaming crap from thrash and black metal, as an effect its cool, but all the time? come on.)

so am I the only one looking for this in this country? I want to start a band rooted in NWOBHM, Power Metal, and progressive metal. I'm in the US in upstate New York.

If I am, then I've just found another reason I dont fit in here and want to emigrate out of here...
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Oct 25, 2009,
Try finding band mates who want to play downtempo experimental drone, post rock and ambient electronica and then come back to me and tell me its hard to find band members.
Diversity of influences is always good. For example, I can't stand most of the American Metalcore scene, and the solo guitarist in my band can't get enough of it. When we combine his stuff with my stuff, we get a load of great stuff.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by alaub1491
Try finding band mates who want to play downtempo experimental drone, post rock and ambient electronica and then come back to me and tell me its hard to find band members.

I've been looking to form a post-rock band for over two years, I can't find anyone who'd bother. People just find it boring, and I love it.
Member #? of theVIVA MEXICO CLUB

Beware of the Lawyer: the Dog is Harmless.
Quote by alaub1491

I'll join.
diffrenet influences are good, i used to be in a band where:

Drummer: Funk, Reggae, Rap
Bassist: Power Metal, Death Metal, etc.
Me: Pop punk, Hard Rock
Vocalist: Pop

we had good material, splitted up because of the diversity of musical tastes, but yeah, we had good stuff
Learn your (sub)genres better. A band that sounds like the description you gave would be Kamelot and they're American.

It's not European and American metal.
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
It's gonna be impossible to find people that like exactly what you like. In the end, you don't want someone who is like you because it makes you guys more narrow-minded. You don't wanna sound like every band you're influenced by. That's stupid and naive. You have to mix it up and create your own band's style. I'm influenced by metalcore, groove metal, and different types of techno (hardstyle and trance mostly) in my guitar playing. That's weird as hell I think.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Balmazer
Learn your (sub)genres better. A band that sounds like the description you gave would be Kamelot and they're American.

It's not European and American metal.

I know, and I like kamelot a great amount

thats why I said largely and by observation. there are exceptions, and there is some of it coming out of the US... but if you look at all of the stuff coming from here its few and far in between.

Im just considering that it may be that Im the minority around here, which makes things difficult at best.

and btw, check power metal on wikipedia, even THEY noticed that the style Im looking at is based in europe, but has SOME offshoots in the US.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Oct 25, 2009,
Quote by alaub1491
Haha live in Philly?

lol I'd also love to work with you as I have a lot of post-rock ideas too, but the thing is im a state over from ya lol. If I still lived in Pennsylvania I'd jam with you, but i'm in upstate new york these days
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by alaub1491

Add IDM to that list. If you don't live in London, it's nigh impossible to accomplish an IDM collective of more than 1 person(s).
Quote by Chaosinborn
What screaming in thrash?

Thrash, if anything, just has a somewhat harsh voice.

Yeah it's not screaming. It's more like yelling with a harsh voice. Like Slayer and Machine Head.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
try finding guys that are into Classicore, I've yet to meet one even on the internet
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
try finding guys that are into Classicore, I've yet to meet one even on the internet

XD XD XD XD LOL . WTF IS classicore??? Is it even rock? Sounds really cool, but it could be terrible. Classical music + metal + epic breakdowns = WIN!!

TS you're lucky. This guy's genre doesn't exist.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I cant either. No one can see my musical vision and when I describe it they tell me they want to play some geriatric type of music that sounds like everything else going on in my local music scene.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
I'm kinda with you man, but I'm on the other side of the States.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
I really doubt that you can't find any musicians with that vision in New York. Keep on looking.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Try finding enough people who want to play funk/jazz/metal/punk/reggae/carnatic to start a band. I've found one person who wants to do it. Everyone else is just like WTF brah.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by spiroth10
I like the variation of fast paced and slow riffs, intricate complexity of the instruments, possibly difficult yet melodic solos possibly simple just not dumbed down or noisy, a wide ranged vocalist with NO Screaming (I HATE the screaming crap from thrash and black metal, as an effect its cool, but all the time? come on.)

so am I the only one looking for this in this country? I want to start a band rooted in NWOBHM, Power Metal, and progressive metal. I'm in the US in upstate New York.

If I am, then I've just found another reason I dont fit in here and want to emigrate out of here...

So basically you want to move to indiana and start a power metal band with me. Ok, Come on over.
thats similar to what i want to = D

it also sounds like you should give dream theater and mastodon a try, both American.
Quote by justinb904

is that an actual Genre?
Quote by Ed Hunter
The only time I'd want to touch a 500 degrees frying pan is to set my hand on fire and punch someone in the face.

Quote by Captain Insano
Soulja boy! They stole his gold.
Robbed his Jacket now he's cold!

YOU! Steal from Soulja boy.

*sings over crank that*
Quote by entity0009
Diversity of influences is always good. For example, I can't stand most of the American Metalcore scene, and the solo guitarist in my band can't get enough of it. When we combine his stuff with my stuff, we get a load of great stuff.

This one.

Why not play with people that are good and conjoin ideas to make your own unique sound? That's better than sounding like some power metal that's been done a thousand times before.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
classic core.

mozart with power chords
Ill Take it all
Arrows and Guns.. Hundreds and more

Save you from one
Mathcore is the same way. It's tough as shit to find someone who likes it and can actually play well.
Try and find any band members in remote Yorkshire...
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by spiroth10

Sounds kinda like "... And Justice For All" considering the riffs n' stuff.
Quote by justinb904

Sounds a bit like Classic rock with breakdowns and screaming. Or neoclassical shred w/breakdowns. Either way, I'd form a band with you.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Musical Diversity = Originality

No one gets this.
LARGE TEXT
Quote by actaderock

Drummer: Funk, Reggae, Rap
Bassist: Power Metal, Death Metal, etc.
Me: Pop punk, Hard Rock
Vocalist: Pop

It should have gone like this.

Drummer: Power Metal, Death Metal, etc.
Bassist: Funk, Reggae, Rap
Power Metal, Death Metal, etc.
Me: Pop
Vocalist: Pop punk, Hard Rock
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.
He to whom this emotion is a stranger,
who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe,
is as good as dead; his eyes are closed."
- Albert Einstein
My band are at completely different ends of the spectrum!

Me (Vocals, Guitar) - Alt. Rock, Shoegaze
Bassist - Jazz, Funk
Drummer - Progressive Metal

If you click the link in my sig, I think you'll agree that diversity is GOOD.
Quote by Aidy Damage

...Not to blow your own trumpet or anything...
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Damn, my problem is everyone i find WANTS to play Metal, and we want nothing to do with that sound
either way, is Metal the only genre you can play?? Open your style, it will creatly imrpove your playing if you learn some blues, classical, country, everything you can man, not just Metal. And I seriously doubt you're just so good that nobody wants to play with you, the better you are the easier it is to find good musicians, lose your ego
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Oct 26, 2009,
Try finding some people who want to make pop music who aren't complete arseholes.
Quote by Aidy Damage
My band are at completely different ends of the spectrum!

Me (Vocals, Guitar) - Alt. Rock, Shoegaze
Bassist - Jazz, Funk
Drummer - Progressive Metal

i wouldn't.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.