I need to have a footswitch to use for my Vox Valvetronix. Is there any way I can use pedals I already own, such as distortion or wah, to act as a footswitch instead of buying one?
Quote by BrockTandem
I need to have a footswitch to use for my Vox Valvetronix. Is there any way I can use pedals I already own, such as distortion or wah, to act as a footswitch instead of buying one?

I think if you have an effects loop you could just keep it on the clean setting and then use your distortion pedal.

Or you could just shell out the forty bucks like I did for my ValveKing and save yourself the headache
no
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

i agree with the dude who said use the effects loop. But dont put distortion in through an effects loop! Distortion is better if it's put straight in. But yeah, for a Valveking? the 40 bucks is worth it.
"its true that we dont know what weve got untill we loose it but its also true that we dont know what weve been missing until it arrives"
Quote by 3BlindMyceZeke
This is amazing advice. You sir, Mr.LeadGuitar, are the god of the Bandleading forum.

In Rhode Island? Join!
Quote by Mr.LeadGuitar
i agree with the dude who said use the effects loop. But dont put distortion in through an effects loop! Distortion is better if it's put straight in. But yeah, for a Valveking? the 40 bucks is worth it.

He's using a Vox Valvetronix. I was the one using a ValveKing.

BUT, for TS, you could do the effects loop thing

OR you could use my new solution. Just get someone to switch the channel for you. Like, just another guy standing on stage pressing the button for you.
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
He's using a Vox Valvetronix. I was the one using a ValveKing.

BUT, for TS, you could do the effects loop thing

OR you could use my new solution. Just get someone to switch the channel for you. Like, just another guy standing on stage pressing the button for you.

Yeah, I was going to try and use the effects loop, but I looked at the back of the amp and it turns out I don't have one.

Using someone else to push the button isn't a bad idea, but I need the footswitch for a formal exam and I don't think using someone else to push the button would be permitted.
Quote by BrockTandem
Yeah, I was going to try and use the effects loop, but I looked at the back of the amp and it turns out I don't have one.

Using someone else to push the button isn't a bad idea, but I need the footswitch for a formal exam and I don't think using someone else to push the button would be permitted.

You're SOL then. Just get the footswitch. You'll be glad you did.
Yeah, looks like I've got no real choices. Would I have to get the official Vox one, or would any two button footswitch work?
Quote by BrockTandem
Yeah, looks like I've got no real choices. Would I have to get the official Vox one, or would any two button footswitch work?

I'd get the official Vox switch to be safe because you KNOW it'll work.

Also, just checked the BOSS footswitches and they're actually more expensive. Looks like you'll be giving about $30 to Guitar Center. I'd go like, RIGHT NOW to your closest guitar shop and see if they have one because if not, you'll have to order it in, which will take time. Something I'm assuming you don't really have a lot of.
i would build one... it's fun. you can probably look up the schem in the vox manual, or find a 'how to' somewhere... but i'd just get a piece of 1/4" cable... stereo if it flips on and off your rev and chnl...

then simply cut the stereo 1/4" cable and bare the wires... plug 1/4 jack into 1/4 chnl switch hole... then with the bare wire: if you connect live to grnd and it switches chnl you'll see it.

then 2nd ground to ground and it will likely switch your verb. then simply get two 1pdt or 2pdt stomp switches at effectsconnection and wire up a ground to each middle prong and the other two wires to the opposite prong... I'd be happy 2 help if I can.

btw: 2 2pdt switches = $1.75 ea
a box = $6.5
assuming you have soldering iron, solder, and wire u r all set.
Last edited by mistermikev at Oct 26, 2009,