Okay, I did a search and didn't find exactly what I was looking for. So...

I have a roland cube 20x and a digitech RP 150.
The digitech starts sounding like crap with the distortion on and the volume cranked. But the Roland cube sounds even worse going through the lead channel and using the built in distortion.

So my question is; If i purchased a line 6 POD XT and ran it through the roland cube on the clean setting with the dials at neutral, would I produce a better tone? Or do I need to ditch the roland cube and go for a tube amp before I get the line 6?

I play through my headphones which are top of the line Boss if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!
Why couldn't you plug headphones straight into the POD?
EDIT: You also could use your cube if you wanted to. You should just use the EQ, models, etc on your cube in conjunction with the POD to find a good tone. You have to find the settings that you like. I use pedals with my cube all the time to find new tones. The one thing I never find to work well is mixing the gains of both an amp and a pedal. My answer to your question is I don't know. Tone is subjective to me. Go try a POD with a cube and a similar guitar at a shop and see which you prefer. Maybe try a tube amp too and see if you'd rather have a tube amp and the digitech or the POD and your cube. Hopefully this is helpful.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Last edited by salsawords at Oct 26, 2009,
Quote by salsawords
Why couldn't you plug headphones straight into the POD?

I don't know. I've never used a POD before. Could i do that, and bypass the amp all together? Just use the amp to project the output from the pod?
Quote by koikomoru
I don't know. I've never used a POD before. Could i do that, and bypass the amp all together? Just use the amp to project the output from the pod?

Yes you can. They don't have headphone jacks, but if you're already plugging headphones into your cube then you must have an adapter already.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Great info, thank you for responding. I'll keep the cube and go try out the POD. Also, i have a les paul. Does the type of guitar you have make THAT big of a difference in the tone you produce? I did get a new humbucker installed in the bridge. It's the DiMarzio Evolution.
I'd say pickups are the second biggest part of your sound. Most high output pickups (like your pickup) sound similar, so ask to use a guitar with high output pickups.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___