so, my initial idea was to run my Dual Rec Roadster thru a rectifier 212 on top and a 412 straight on bottom. Another idea was the 212 under a Slant cab

Overall which cab sounds the best a Slant or a Straight?
To be honest I find there's not that much of a sound difference between the two. The main thing is that a slant will elevate where the sound is projected too and they have a pitch, meaning that they are louder if you're standing at a certain distance from them that if you are right besides them.
why do you need a 6x12 setup? it's cool, but if you don't really know why you need it it's a waste of $$$.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
why do you need a 6x12 setup? it's cool, but if you don't really know why you need it it's a waste of $$$.

this,

also, if you're talking about the over-sized recto cabs, expect the 4x12 to be exremely resonant, either slanted or straight. if that's what you're going for, great, just know it going in... and mesa cabs aren't exactly cheap either. you could spend about the same $ on an orange 4x12 that'll be much tighter and still retain the low end recto's (roadster/roadkings included) are famous for. any particular reason why you're set on Mesa cabs?
Quote by UnsignedRecords

I play some pretty big venues and I hate to keep adding to a rig. Im just going to get what I want and stick with it. This however, was not the nature of this thread.
Quote by GrisKy
this,

also, if you're talking about the over-sized recto cabs, expect the 4x12 to be exremely resonant, either slanted or straight. if that's what you're going for, great, just know it going in... and mesa cabs aren't exactly cheap either. you could spend about the same $ on an orange 4x12 that'll be much tighter and still retain the low end recto's (roadster/roadkings included) are famous for. any particular reason why you're set on Mesa cabs?

I hear that they are some of the best sounding cabs...and also Im kinda picky about my stuff matching. They WERE made to go with Mesa heads...
Quote by 256jbight4
I play some pretty big venues and I hate to keep adding to a rig. Im just going to get what I want and stick with it. This however, was not the nature of this thread.

it's the basis of your question.

2 extra speakers isn't going to help you out much. definitely not $400 more.

if you're playing pretty big venues, there should be a pa system no?

angled will project the top 2 speakers upwards a little more. not a huge live difference.

i've been gigging with my mesa recto 2x12 just fine for the past couple years. and matching name doesn't necessarily mean, well, anything.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Oct 26, 2009,
Quote by UnsignedRecords
it's the basis of your question.

2 extra speakers isn't going to help you out much. definitely not $400 more.

if you're playing pretty big venues, there should be a pa system no?

angled will project the top 2 speakers upwards a little more. not a huge live difference.

i've been gigging with my mesa recto 2x12 just fine for the past couple years. and matching name doesn't necessarily mean, well, anything.

again, this^

if anything, those extra angled cabs are going to add to natural reverb problems. big venues should have a PA, and a common misconception is that you need to be loud on stage, when infact controlling stage volume (keeping it to a neccessary minimun) is paramount. matching means approximately jack and shit unless you have an endorsement/sponsorship deal where live use of [company's] equipment is mandated, in which case the company should be providing your gear (hey, free stuff ain't bad).

also, mesa cabs aren't "bad" by any means. they're built tough as nails. they are also extremely heavy when it comes to bass frequency resonance, which will eat your lunch if not dealt with properly, but that also depends on what mics you're using, how well your soundman knows his shit, and just shy of a million other "little" things.