Its off Battery by Metallica, the part in red. i sometimes feel the thick E string is ringing slightly. Some people use their fretting thumb by that feels much to awkward for me. I use the palm on my picking hand but its kind of 50/50. How would you guys do it? I have a similar problem when playing a A5 chord on the 5th string. I try use the tips of my fretting fingers too.
It's just an inverted power chord, and using your thumb sacrifices good wrist position. Generally in situations like that, I use the tip of my index finger to just barely touch the lower string and mute it. In that case, it'd be the tip of your ring finger instead, but same principle.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
It's just an inverted power chord, and using your thumb sacrifices good wrist position. Generally in situations like that, I use the tip of my index finger to just barely touch the lower string and mute it. In that case, it'd be the tip of your ring finger instead, but same principle.

Pretty much this but refer to them as thirds instead.
Quote by strat0blaster
It's just an inverted power chord

its actually third, not an inverted power chord (which is root and fifth). otherwise youre completely right with the technique on how to play it.

i use my thumb to mute sometimes, but thats usually when im in no position to use my fingers.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Yeah I was referring just to the positioning of the fingers, but a third is correct. Didn't wanna go into the explanation of what it is if the guy didn't know, but didn't want to give an answer he couldn't use.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Can you not just...not play the lower string? Or do you mean to stop the ringing of the previous note?