I've got some money for my birthday and I think I want a new guitar. I have a warmoth/allparts stratocaster that I really like, but I'd like some diversity.

Info:

-I have a Fender Blues Junior NOS and a plethora of OD's and boosts highlighted by a BYOC TS-808 that has been modded up the wazzoo.
-I love blues but also play on a worship team at my school that plays a lot of rock/alternative stuff requiring catchy riffs, occasional solo fills, and a fair amount of ambient noise.
-I am pretty skilled with modifying the electronics
-appearance of the guitar is a low priority, I want it to sound really good and be reliable
-Price range is below $500

Two guitars I have had my eye on would be a MIM telecaster and a Hamer Standard XT. What do you think or what would you recommend?
Well, I think i would get something like Epiphone or Harley Benton. If you just want a good guitar to play blues you should stay with your Stratocaster and get some effects or an Amp.
The perfect compliment to your sound range and needs would be a Les Paul. 500 will get you the top of range Agile or a Burny, probably.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I play a lot of blues too, and with that kind of gear, I'd go for the Telecaster for sure.
Gear:

Fender American Strat, texas specials
Fender Tele Baja
VOX AC15
Ibanez Analog Delay
Boss Keeley Blues Driver
Katana boost
Dunlop Wah
Quote by Lurcher
The perfect compliment to your sound range and needs would be a Les Paul. 500 will get you the top of range Agile or a Burny, probably.

Ah I got the same feeling too something like the Agile AL-3000 would be perfectly suited and any cash left over can go to new pickups or effects or save for a new amp.
I looked up those Agile LP copies as I haven't heard of them before and I was blown away at the reviews. Everyone seems to be raving about how high quality they are at such a low price. I've never been a big LP fan, but wow. This would be the way to go.

I've also been looking hard at some telecaters. The MIM teles seem to be a pretty solid bang for your buck axe too.
I went around a few local guitar shops and had no luck finding anything I was excited about. GC had an old Hamer that I was fairly happy with, but I really want to find a tele that I'm excited about. I found out that GC carries no MIM tele's with Rosewood fretboards...Woops.
Yeah, you're right. I just checked the Fender website. I am now considering assembling one myself. Here's what I'm looking for right now:

-ash body with nitro finish
-soft v neck with rosewood board

I'm not sure there are many readily available tele necks with a soft v and a rosewood board, so I am considering getting a strat neck instead. I'm looking into mighty mite. I found one on eBay for $90 with finish and nut installed.

I've also found some B-stock quality bodies with minor appearance issues for around $100. I could get the body and neck for under $200. That leaves some good money available for pickups. I have a tex mex strat single coil sitting around that I will probably plug into the neck. I may have an old bridge pickup too.

I guess that leaves:

-tuners
-bridge
-pickguard
-electronics
Quote by kleydj13
Yeah, you're right. I just checked the Fender website. I am now considering assembling one myself. Here's what I'm looking for right now:

-ash body with nitro finish
-soft v neck with rosewood board

I'm not sure there are many readily available tele necks with a soft v and a rosewood board, so I am considering getting a strat neck instead. I'm looking into mighty mite. I found one on eBay for $90 with finish and nut installed.

I've also found some B-stock quality bodies with minor appearance issues for around $100. I could get the body and neck for under $200. That leaves some good money available for pickups. I have a tex mex strat single coil sitting around that I will probably plug into the neck. I may have an old bridge pickup too.

I guess that leaves:

-tuners
-bridge
-pickguard
-electronics

I honestly wouldn't go with Mighty Mite. I've heard very mixed things from them. You pay for quality, that's all I'd say on that. With the nitro finish, you need to make sure its pure nitro. A lot of companies say its nitro (including Fender) but its Nitro over a Poly finish, which pretty much defeats the purpose of a nitro finish. You also need to be specific about the Ash body, as there are two types, and Swamp ash is what was used on the early Fenders and Teles up until around late '56 and 1957. The bridge is up to you, there are some nice Wilkinsons that are more modern and they have a vintage style. Pickguard is also up to you, it's a preference. I personally prefer 1 ply like the ones found on the 50s strats. The electronics are also your decision. If you get a HSS setup, you can coil tap the humbucker, you can also buy the S1 switching and have that option. Tuners, I'd go with Kluson vintage style, but that's just me.
I too have heard a lot of mixed opinions about MM. Some people seem to say they are a great value and others think they are all crap. I had a Warmoth neck and the truss rod broke. I currently have an allparts neck on my strat and it has been phenomenal.

The thing is that there is almost a $100 price jump from Mighty Mite to the allparts/warmoth category. If I could get a quality Mighty Mite that would really help as I'm on a limited budget.
I'm getting pretty scared about the Mighty Mite reviews. I don't think I have the skills to make it worthwhile. I've been poking around with some Tele necks from WD music. They are on eBay for $125-150 and have an official Fender license.

What are your thoughts on WD as a better alternative to Mighty Mite?
upgrade the parts of your Warmoth Strat?
Quote by ch0
I once trapped my left testicle in a vice. I have no left testicle.
No, I have a Warmoth Strat. I am hoping to acquire a new guitar in the next few weeks. I am strongly interested in getting a Telecaster style guitar, but the Fender MIM don't have a lot of the options I want. I am considering assembling one from parts off of eBay.
Well they are all good so obviously try various ones see which you like, I have the basic Jet one (it was my first guitar) and I still use it now! I have a friend who has the one up, the Electromatic Jet and he has said good things about that also. Hope this helps.
I've decided to go with assembling a telecaster from parts off eBay. Thanks for all the help and ideas!