what is the difference? why can't I use an instrument cable to connect a speaker and head together
an instrument cable is shileded, and usually a lot thinner inside as it only needs to take the low currnet coming from guitar pickups.

A speaker cable is designed to take the sometimes very high current/power coming from an amplifire head
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (KGC BRASS BLOCK + IronGear Blues Engine + Dirty Torque + BCS Wiring Kit
Jet City Fusion

Blackstar S1-104 EL34

Engl Standard 4x12 (V60's)

Korg PitchBlack
ZCAT Delay-Reverb
Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah
Quote by Beffyyy
an instrument cable is shileded, and usually a lot thinner inside as it only needs to take the low currnet coming from guitar pickups.

A speaker cable is designed to take the sometimes very high current/power coming from an amplifire head

I agree with you. I'd sunnerize the following:
You shouldn't use a speaker cable to connect an instrument to the amp, since the speaker cable, won't cancell out unwanted noise and hum...unless you enjoy a lot of hum and other noise in your signal!

Likewise, you shouldn't ever use instrument cable to connet from the amp to the speakers, since the load carrying capacity is far less than that of the speaker cable. While you might get away with this in a practice only environment, at very low power output, you wouldn't want to use it for a gig. You COULD not only damage the cable, but the amp as well!

cheers,
joey45