Okay...so I have a MAJOR essay due tomorrow and I'm pretty much stuck. My class is reading Machiavelli's "The Prince", if any of you guys know it. I have to pick one point Machiavelli makes in the book and critique it, backing it up with examples of rulers from history. I've picked the point that it's unnecessary for a ruler to actually be cunning and imposing as long as he looks like he is. If you guys could name a ruler or two who ruled successfully through deceit, you'd be saving my ass, and I really need help on this. Thanks in advance.
So...GO!
You have the whole internet to dip into to answer this question and you came here?

Lame.... get your finger out of your orifice and go do some research.
[
Mussolini, he was in no way a great leader but he always made out like he was.
MASSIVE TEXT
You can't argue with much that Machiavelli says without sounding stupid. You can argue with the moral implications of his writings but it is hard to find historical examples that defy his logic. I'd recommend reading Robert Greene's The 48-Laws of Power. Many of his laws are based on Machiavelli, and every now and again, he'll give an example of a 'reversal' of a law that worked nonetheless.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by Dr. Sizzle
Okay...so I have a MAJOR essay due tomorrow and I'm pretty much stuck. My class is reading Machiavelli's "The Prince", if any of you guys know it. I have to pick one point Machiavelli makes in the book and critique it, backing it up with examples of rulers from history. I've picked the point that it's unnecessary for a ruler to actually be cunning and imposing as long as he looks like he is. If you guys could name a ruler or two who ruled successfully through deceit, you'd be saving my ass, and I really need help on this. Thanks in advance.
So...GO!

I read this better this time. If you can't find a ruler in The 48 Laws of Power who ruled through deceit, then you are probably blind.

Edit: wait a second, where the hell does Machiavelli make the point that rulers can't rule successfully with deceit?
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

Last edited by MHDrunk at Oct 26, 2009,
Quote by MHDrunk
I read this better this time. If you can't find a ruler in The 48 Laws of Power who ruled through deceit, then you are probably blind.

Edit: wait a second, where the hell does Machiavelli make the point that rulers can't rule successfully with deceit?

Chapter 28, I think. But that's not what I meant he said. The point he made was that a ruler only needs to look like he's succeeding, so I wanted an example of a leader who sucked but still had the confidence of the people because he kept a good public image.
There's plenty of them. Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Trujillo
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Hitler's not a good example. He ruled for the most part with the confidence of the people and the reality of success.

Quote by Dr. Sizzle
How about someone from before the 20th century?

Yeah, and preferably outside of America. Don't flirt with your marker's potential political bents.