We're transposing "Yesterday" by the beatles here. We've got everything set, instead of ciello we have two saxaphones and we have a guitarist and a bassist going. Now, since I transposed it, I have to be in the song. But, everyone else already there is better at playing the song than me. So they assigned me to drums...

"Yesterday" doesn't have a drum beat at ALL. I was told this would be my chance to add a more creative aspect to the song.

I got nothing. Any suggestions?

Note: I thought this was the best place to put this. Tell me if I'm wrong.
Can you play drums? If not get some congas and see if you can make that work.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Classic
Standard Strat
Custom-made Strat
Vox AD50VT
Well you must be very very careful if you're going to add drums to a song like Yesterday..Avoid using drums in the beginning of the song, maybe during the end of the first verse you could cut in with something, but definantly don't overplay, haha.

Urrm..I'd suggest using your ride for your metronome beat or whatever you want to call it. but honestly i can't see drums doing this song any justice whatsoever. Maybe even just snare work for the verses and on the chorus use your cymbals and ride, but i'm not sure, i'd have to hear it and whatnot to see if it would work, but if i were to have any suggestion that would be it. Or as the other guys said, use different percussion rather than a kit.
Quote by RVB2345
Can you play drums? If not get some congas and see if you can make that work.

Well, I'm better than Ringo Star.
Quote by DataKeeper
Well, I'm better than Ringo Star.
Then yes it will sound horrible

He knew how to play only what the song required. Odds are you are going to want to make a part that shows how much of a bad mother you are on drums and it will ruin the song.
Quote by rockinrider55
Then yes it will sound horrible

He knew how to play only what the song required. Odds are you are going to want to make a part that shows how much of a bad mother you are on drums and it will ruin the song.

Bingo. He knew what he needed to play for yesterday. NOTHING. Zilch. Nada.

I was thinking though, as the singer belts out " I believe--in yesterday." I'll hit a cymbal twice. Specifically, once when he says the "t" and again as he's hanging on day. Kinda like "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" but with less sharpness and volume and without John Lennon mooning anybody.

Also, just in case, I am still a beginner at drums. But I'm still better than Ringo Star...but so is a duck. See? It was a joke!

And to the man who said I'd be hitting maracas in my destiny!:
WHY MUST YOU MAKE ME CRY? {starts eating a gallon of rocky road and cries}
Quote by Lucas Townshend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv_oI4F7ITM
The quality here is not very good,but it's a full band rendition of Yesterday done by The Beatles themselves.

Thank you!

It's kinda aggrivating though. I bought that hardcover book that's got all the beatles sheet music in it. It doesn't have any drum part in it. BUT THERE'S RINGO! PLAYING THE DRUMS DURING YESTERDAY!
Ringo Starr is a ****ing brilliant drummer. What about Rain, Please Please Me, etc? Loads of their earlier stuff had his brilliant "backwards" drum fill style, and he was so tight that during the Beatles' entire recording history, only one take ever had to be redone because of him.
Speaking of Ringo Starr, Caveman is on On Demand right now. I might have to watch it, love that movie.
Ringo Starr's drumming is hugely underrated, he has some brilliant beats on some of the songs. He's good as musician, less about the chops, really.
Rubys.
We could change the world if we had the source code.