its a marshall jcm 2000 dsl 100.

I was playing at regular volume, then the volume cut in half for a few seconds, then went out. its definitely not any cables, or pedals, the guitar, or the speaker cab either. i thoroughly tested all of them. I'm pretty sure its a blown fuse...but not totally.

Anybody ever have this happen or know what to do or what it could be? Any input is greatly appreciated!
Quote by rkmad
its a marshall jcm 2000 dsl 100.

I was playing at regular volume, then the volume cut in half for a few seconds, then went out. its definitely not any cables, or pedals, the guitar, or the speaker cab either. i thoroughly tested all of them. I'm pretty sure its a blown fuse...but not totally.

Anybody ever have this happen or know what to do or what it could be? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Its probably the tubes i dont know but it sounds like it. If its a fuse try it from another plug and see if it works if not its the tubes

Did everyone buy a DSL at the same time because there has been a lot of threads on this recently

EDIT: change the fuse
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Last edited by riflesndaisies at Oct 26, 2009,
Quote by riflesndaisies
Did everyone buy a DSL at the same time because there has been a lot of threads on this recently

yes probably cuz they were $1300 US here for awhile...probably still are. for the full half stack not just the head.

im pretty sure its not the tubes because if it was it would just sound sh***y... but sound would come out. with mine, there is no sound at all.
^This.

Quote by riflesndaisies
Its probably the tubes i dont know but it sounds like it. If its a fuse try it from another plug and see if it works if not its the tubes

Not this. A blown fuse needs replacing, not just plugging into a different socket.

TS: Just look on the back panel you should see a fuse holder somewhere, replace that fuse with the EXACT same fuse, and turn it on. If it works great, if not take it to a tech. If it blows a second fuse take it to a tech. If you can't find the fuse... take it to a tech.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
TS: Just look on the back panel you should see a fuse holder somewhere, replace that fuse with the EXACT same fuse, and turn it on. If it works great, if not take it to a tech. If it blows a second fuse take it to a tech. If you can't find the fuse... take it to a tech.

thanks tubetime. i looked back there but im not very good with electrical stuff like that. i think ill just have to take it to a tech but i think youre right.

do you know what would cause a fuse to blow?
Quote by tubetime86
^This.

Not this. A blown fuse needs replacing, not just plugging into a different socket.

I meant changing the fuse from another plug to check it was like this:
take out fuse --> put in another from another appliance---> works--> buy a new fuse
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by rkmad
thanks tubetime. i looked back there but im not very good with electrical stuff like that. i think ill just have to take it to a tech but i think youre right.

sometimes bad power can cause this; if you don't have a power conditioner I would recommend one.
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Quote by rkmad

Any number of anomalies could blow a fuse, both in your amp, and in your houses electric...

The fuse should be really simple to find, there should be like a screw cap looking thing protruding off the backpanel, and it should be clearly marked with what type of fuse to use... You really should be able to do that yourself, otherwise I'd wonder how you figured out how to plug it in and turn it on. Take a pic and post back if you want. You don't want to pay a tech $40 to replace a fuse.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by riflesndaisies
I meant changing the fuse from another plug to check it was like this:
take out fuse --> put in another from another appliance---> works--> buy a new fuse

No, fuses come from the store... Cheaping out like that will cost you an amp. Either way, no offense but your posts just don't make sense and your advice is incorrect. Both are troubling.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Any number of anomalies could blow a fuse, both in your amp, and in your houses electric...

The fuse should be really simple to find, there should be like a screw cap looking thing protruding off the backpanel, and it should be clearly marked with what type of fuse to use... You really should be able to do that yourself, otherwise I'd wonder how you figured out how to plug it in and turn it on. Take a pic and post back if you want. You don't want to pay a tech $40 to replace a fuse.

ha yeh your right.. im at work right now (working very hard) so i dont have my amp with me. i do remember these thigns though... i believe there are 2 on either side of the power source. so you can just unscrew them and replace it yourself?
Quote by Xhale1
are dsl's good?

yeh i like mine. they are very versatile. sometimes i wish i had an 800 or 900, and sometimes im really glad i have my 2000. depends on what type of music im playing at the moment, or if im covering a certain band.

2000 has a lot more versatility

800/900 probably has a little better distorted "classic marshall tone"
Quote by tubetime86
No, fuses come from the store... Cheaping out like that will cost you an amp. Either way, no offense but your posts just don't make sense and your advice is incorrect. Both are troubling.

What most people i know in britain do
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by rkmad
ha yeh your right.. im at work right now (working very hard) so i dont have my amp with me. i do remember these thigns though... i believe there are 2 on either side of the power source. so you can just unscrew them and replace it yourself?

Yup they are very simple and should have the values written right there beside them. Or to be 100% I usually just take the fuse to the hardware store with me. You need to match size, voltage, and amperes. Other than matching those values replacing a fuse is easier than loading a pez dispenser.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by riflesndaisies

What most people i know in britain do

You can also just put a metal slug in there... (This was sarcasm, you 'can' do that just like you 'can' stick your willie in a garbage disposal.) But having the wrong values in a fuse defeats the purpose of having a fuse. The value of the fuse is set so that it will blow just before the current reaches a damaging level. If your fuse is rated too high then the fuse won't blow and that damaging current will make it through your amp... Again, why save yourself 5 minutes and $3 when you risk ruining your amp?

All three of your posts barely add up to an intelligent thought. I wasn't gonna say anything, because I assumed English was a second language, but since you say you're in Britain; please post a little bit more clearly. Go back and read your three posts in this thread, they barely make sense, and as I said before your advice is incorrect.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Oct 26, 2009,
Quote by tubetime86
You can also just put a metal slug in there...
LOL, don't do that! But if you want to you can just wrap a blown fuse in aluminum foil. I smoked a PT doing that. Fortunately it appears that the PT was the bad component anyhow. When I replaced the PT nothing else was blowing the fuse.

I had a fuse blowing problem with a Fender Pro Jr and the problem was a bad EL84 power tube.
Quote by fly135
LOL, don't do that! But if you want to you can just wrap a blown fuse in aluminum foil. I smoked a PT doing that. Fortunately it appears that the PT was the bad component anyhow. When I replaced the PT nothing else was blowing the fuse.

I had a fuse blowing problem with a Fender Pro Jr and the problem was a bad EL84 power tube.

Ya I guess I should clarify; that was a sarcastic remark and I DO NOT suggest anyone do it... For the reasons I explained in that post.

Quote by tubetime86
You can also just put a metal slug in there... (This was sarcasm, you 'can' do that just like you 'can' stick your willie in a garbage disposal.)

Better?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Oct 26, 2009,
If the fuse blew it probably blew for a reason. Simply putting a new fuse in probably won't cure the root problem. I'm guessing you had a power tube failure. Does the amp turn on? Can you hear anything at all and are the big power tubes glowing whatsoever?
did you look at the tubes when the amp cut out ?

when my dsl went it smoked the tubes on either side 2 inners glowing red hot.... whoaaa !!

anyways it was expensive to do twice, i sold it after i fixed it the second time. this was about 3 years ago.

i didn't like the amp one bit to be honest. lacked depth. i was running with a 1960av cab and it soundy kinda muddy and boomy. never really lived up to my expectations for 2300 dollar half stack. I am pretty anti marshall now. I also never understood the want behind the 800's i guess to me i want my amp to bring the gain. lots of it.
Get new tubes anyways if you have the money. Unless they're like brand new. Just because new tubes are fun.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
If the fuse blew it probably blew for a reason. Simply putting a new fuse in probably won't cure the root problem. I'm guessing you had a power tube failure. Does the amp turn on? Can you hear anything at all and are the big power tubes glowing whatsoever?

the amp turns on and all the tubes light up and glow normally. and it sounds perfectly normal too. (EDIT: the humming of the amp being on, the amp does not make any guitar related noises)

anybody know what this means...?
Last edited by rkmad at Oct 26, 2009,
Well....it's not a fuse.

So amp makes a normal amount of hum as if everything was OK but you can't hear your guitar ever since this issue started? All the tubes, including the preamp tubes, are seated (pushed down all the way)? Guitar and amp volume are turned up? Any potential for an insert jack issue on amp?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Well....it's not a fuse.

So amp makes a normal amount of hum as if everything was OK but you can't hear your guitar ever since this issue started? All the tubes, including the preamp tubes, are seated (pushed down all the way)? Guitar and amp volume are turned up? Any potential for an insert jack issue on amp?

yes thats correct. yeh they are all down. everything turned up. its not cables, pedals, guitar, or speaker cab. i was playing.. volume cut in half for about 5 seconds, then went out all together.

i dont think its the input... the amp is very new. i bought it in august and it had never been used before
Well, to be nice about the the DSL doesn't have the greatest build quality if you ask me so I wouldn't rule out anything at this point. A loose insert jack connection of poor solder joint somewhere is relatively easy to fix compared to other problems like Output Transformers etc.

Have you tried another guitar in this amp?
Have you tried your guitar in another amp?

Tell me more about the cab and its rating for watts and ohms.
yeh it could be anything liek that i guess.

yeh i tested out everything like with the guitars and pedals and cables and such.

i tried the head in a different cab and still didn't work
I'm trying to validate that you had the proper cab configuration to begin with. Plugging into another cab willy nilly isn't going to prove anything unless you are certain as to what you are doing. The ohms need to match. If you can't tell me what your cab is rated for and what this second cab was rated for then that is a problem. You may have bigger issues as I eluded to earlier.
In a word no the eq controls don't really change the tone any not sure why but considering you can buy a dsl marshall tube amp with cabinet for 999$ shoulb be a red flag.