so i may be concidering a drive pedal for my DC30 amp clone depending on how this mod works out. i've got the amp set with the 12AX7 channel running clean just before break up and the EF86 side with a mild crunch - very beatles-esque. i'm trying to do my own boost mod for the EF86 side, and weather it turns out well or not i may still invest in another drive for some other tones. bassically the mod will push me into brian may crunch territory, and i want to pick up from there with a slightly more modern voicing.

my options i'm looking at are the Wampler plextortion, super plextortion, Xotic BB preamp, BB preamp plus, and the fulltone OCD.

the pedal will go after my noisegate and before my channel splitter box then into either channel, so i figure 12AX7 side will be a heavy modern crunch, and EF86 side without boost engaged and the light natural crunch will bring me into a lead/heavy riff territory.

so essentially it doesnt need to be able to bring me into the modern rock lead sound because there will be a bit more gain on tap from the EF86 channel for that, however i still want something with a fairly organic and powerfull overdrive to get me from clean to heavy crunch.
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
IMO, the OCD might not be suitable for your needs.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I think you're really going to need to test that amp with different pedals. Who knows whether a drive pedal or just a boost will sound better? Its just too hard to say how different pedals will react with that set-up, though I'm sure many will try...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
The OCD is more vintage styled

Huh?

How do you defined "vintage styled"?

I found the OCD too sparkly. IMO, the TS needs something more gritty, with a slight level of dirt creeping into the crunch.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Huh?

How do you defined "vintage styled"?

I found the OCD too sparkly. IMO, the TS needs something more gritty, with a slight level of dirt creeping into the crunch.

not so good for modern rock... I agree very sparky as well, but to me it sounded more JCM800/AC30 styled than I expected... I was thinking it would have more gain on tap.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
not so good for modern rock... I agree very sparky as well, but to me it sounded more JCM800/AC30 styled than I expected... I was thinking it would have more gain on tap.

Huh? JCM800? AC30? I'm not gonna ask how you got such sounds, but not enough gain? The OCD is dripping with too much gain.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
i was just going to edit in the lovepedal kanji's forgot about them when i mentioned this.
i dont want a very "modern" sounding distortion, yeah, i want to play modern rock and blues styles, but the tones i'm chasing are vintage-esque. The DC-30 is much like a very clear responsive AC30, and it distorts as i'd like, well the EF86 side is a little harsh, but i think thats the cheap tube IMO. i'm looking for something clear, with enough gain (not djent or chug) if anything a little on the warmer side. i can try out the OCD and BB's locally, but the lovepedal and wampler may be a hard stretch to find so that may come down to reviews, videos, and oppinions if i dont settle on something i can pickup around here.
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?