I currently use 11's on my G400 Epiphone, and I think I'd like something a little thicker. I play mostly in Dropped D, and sometimes in standard. Scale length is 24 3/4", and I'm not too knowledgeable on what is too much tension.

My 11's I have on right now are looser than I'd like, I don't really need a lot of bend, I just like the feel of thick, tight, strings better.
you'd be fine using 12s. you'll just have to adjust the truss rod a little to bring the action back down to where it is now with the 11s. if you want it that way.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Oh yeah, I definitely planned on a set-up. I just wanted to make sure nothing was going to break it! Haha, thanks guys.
If you're playing mostly in standard/drop D strings as low as 9's should cut it. I'd suggest using 11's instead tbh. It's totally up to you though.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Quote by andrew12398
If you're playing mostly in standard/drop D strings as low as 9's should cut it. I'd suggest using 11's instead tbh. It's totally up to you though.

Definitely not for me, I'm already on 11's and they are looser than I'd like. I have 13's on my acoustic in standard and I really like it.
I'm still using the generic type my SG came with (10's, maybe?) and I do Drop B (And it sounds good O.o ).
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Quote by Phantom123
I'm still using the generic type my SG came with (10's, maybe?) and I do Drop B (And it sounds good O.o ).

Crazy. It's more about feel than sound for me though. I can tune to drop C if i want but it's loose as hell. I just like really tight strings I guess.
I'm wondering something similar....the Washburn I have now came with fairly good strings on it (.11-.48s maybe?), but to have the whole Joe Trohman "feel", I want to equip it with some Dean Markley .10-.52's i have, the same brand and gauge Joe uses on his guitars...

I'm wondering how much of a setup I'll need though...i mean, i've never adjusted a truss rod on a guitar before, and i don't wanna screw something up....but i dont really know a place i could go for a setup

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Lol 12s are a lil thick for standard, but if thats the feel you like by all means do it. I use 11s for Drop A# all the way to D Standard, and occasionally E Standard.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by jguzman40
i wish they made 13's for electric....... id be a happy man

They do...

At least I'm pretty damn sure they do. Hell I've seen a guy use 15's for Drop G, pretty nuts but still. They were specially ordered though.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Quote by jguzman40
i wish they made 13's for electric....... id be a happy man

They do. I played on 13's in E standard for a year or so.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.