I have just bought my second guitar, second hand through Ebay. I have no complaints for the guitar it's just that the neck pickup (EMG 85) feels loose and rocks from side to side (as in point towards headstock or to the bridge of the guitar).

I have undone all of the screws, lifted it up, and looked around in the cavity of the guitar for anything that could be causeing it but I can't find anything.

If anybody could provide an explanation for this movement I would greatly appreciate it
how extreme is the rocking? just when you push on it with your finger or does it move by itself? the springs between it and the mounting ring might be old?

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

It doesn't really move on its own. It's just if you accidently tap it it moves out of shape and you have to bring it back. What would I need to do to the spring to repair it?

Also, could somebody explain how close the pickup should be from the strings?
Last edited by Lr-Mtb at Oct 26, 2009,
so it doesn't "spring" back to the way it was after you physically move it? if thats the case, maybe whoever had it before you didnt use the correct mounting ring?

in the sticky thread "ultimate guitar setup Q&A" or something like that, i think it gives a good guide on pickup height. my EMG neck upu is 2.5-3mm below my strings

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele

It does move back a bit after pressing it down, but the bridge pickup stays in the same place and doesn't move, I was hoping I could find a way to fix it so it doesn't move at all like the bridge pick up.

I have just heard that you could put a bit of foam/ sponge behind the pick up to put a little pressure pushing it up to even it out. Would this be OK to do?
Last edited by Lr-Mtb at Oct 26, 2009,
behind the pickup? do you mean beneath it, betwen the pup and the bottom of the cavity? you shouldnt need to do that, and your pickup moving isnt a problem unless it stays angled weird. but i suppose you can put some foam or sponge underneath if you want.

when you take the pickup out to insert the foam, take note how easily you can pull it out of the cavity. it might not have come stock with that guitar and so it might not be fitting perfectly in there. a while ago i put in a seymour duncan dimebucker in the bridge and it just barely fit in the bridge cavity. i had to force it down a little.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele

The Pickup did come with the guitar, and I did mean put the foam beneath the pickup. The pickup comes out of the cavity fine and there is plenty of room. I'm going to put a little bit of foam beneath the pickup just because i'm picky and want it to be up like the bridge pickup all of the time.
Thanks for you help
(just noticed I said pickup way too many times)