This came in to the store the other day on consignment. I work in antiques. Anyway, The owner doesn't know anything about the history of it and it was brought in with a Texas Jr. Toy Guitar which I'm not interested in.

However, What's your take or opinion on it from the photos? Home-Made? Is there anything I should look for in particular? It has a nice finish and it looks pretty old. The guy wants 50 bucks.
Attachments:
SSPX0819.jpg
SSPX0820.jpg
SSPX0821.jpg
SSPX0822.jpg
im guessing it was just a no-name guitar. I would never sell a custom home-made guitar for that cheap. The parts alone would cost well over $50 for someone to make.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Im not sure what make it is or if it is homemade. But i tell you if i made it i wouldnt tell anyone.

That has to the ugliest guitar i have seen in a while. The head stock looks like it has a sock hat on. If it was mine i would hack that hoop-t-hoop off the top...LOL

Good luck selling that thing.....
Quote by kmyers18
Im not sure what make it is or if it is homemade. But i tell you if i made it i wouldnt tell anyone.

That has to the ugliest guitar i have seen in a while. The head stock looks like it has a sock hat on. If it was mine i would hack that hoop-t-hoop off the top...LOL

Good luck selling that thing.....

agreed haha. how does it play though?? if it sounds as ugly as it looks... yea....
Guitars:
Ibanez AW
Ibanez SA160
*K. Yairi AY-65*
An arch-top style bridge on a flat-top guitar? Weird. As a kids guitar, it won't be particularly valuable as a collectible or instrument, so as a customer, I wouldn't pay more than $25 for it. It could make a cool wall hanging or something.

Edit: Wow, that pick guard is truly heinous!
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Oct 26, 2009,
Well, it sure is different isn't it? The body looks like it was modeled after an old Selmer or gypsy jazz guitar. Can you tell how the neck is attached to the body? I assume that there aren't any serial numbers in the usual places, but you might check the neck and heel blocks inside the box. Also, many luthiers sign the inside of their guitars on the underside of the soundboard so looking inside the box with a mirror might shed some light. Also, check to see if the grain patterns match on both sides of the wood on the back side. If they don't match, it means that the guitar is probably made of laminated material and not likely handmade.

I would pay 50 dollars for it.....if it's playable. Not many things stay ugly forever......
First things first , is it solid timbers or laminates if solid buy it
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
lol Thanks guys! I know it isn't much to look at. That headstock is a bit unsightly, I admit. As soon as this guy brought it in, I thought to myself, I wonder if I could take the jigsaw and just sheer off that top piece. lol However, Maybe those were common on guitars a hundred years ago. Has anyone ever seen a headstock like that before? That's what made me wonder if it was home-made.

However, It's so ugly, it's kind of neat. Home-Made or not, it's definitely old. You can tell as soon as you pick it up. It does have that Selma body to it and I'll take a closer look tomorrow. 50 bucks isn't all that bad even for a conversation piece.
Im sure there is someone on UG who made a guitar with a very similar headstock. But personally I think it looks great & dont mistake home made for crap what does it play like???
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Well at the end of the day thats all that really matters. Is how it plays. If it plays like a jewel than it is worth every penny.
But either way i would hack the top of the head stock off. Unless it happen to be the thing that makes it worth money or something.
Other than that it would be cut off....LOL
I recently saw a guitar for sale with that type of pick guard on it and it was a type used by a famous guitar player. Can't remember the name. Wish I could help a little more.
I bought it! It has a very rich and deep sound to it actually, I was quite surprised. My buddy said she's like the Millennium Falcon. She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts. ha ha The strings are bit too close together for my liking and the neck is a bit narrow being 1.5" in width. It's 40" high overall and 15" in width at the bridge.

Unfortunately, I have gone over it inside and out and find no identifying marks of any kind. I recognize the hide glues used inside as I see it alot in the antique furniture biz. I even saw pencil marks inside where they drew lines from it's construction.

The real mission now is to date it and identify it for what it is. I've added some more photos of this thing.
Attachments:
IMG_7742.jpg
IMG_7750.jpg
123.JPG
IMG_7749.jpg
IMG_7738.jpg
for that much$ how can you really go wrong?????

Exactly. I'm not sure if I can do sound clips unless I put it on youtube or something. I'd be embarrassed though as I'd suck! I can't play very well with the neck that thin and the strings that close. I've had two ladies put me to shame and play it like nobody's business though. They like the thin neck and close strings.

A few people have been telling me to look into it further as their might be something to the guitar. The label may have fallen off long ago and it'll be tricky to identify. Someone said it reminded them of a 1920s or 30s model that people used to buy off street vendors in Mexico.
Interesting fretboard numbering -- 2, 5, 7, 10, 12, 14, 17? I can't think of any other guitars I've seen that do that.

I have, I was always too afraid to ask though. I didn't want to look like an idiot. I'm glad you did first. lol