So which do you guys think would be better. Upgrading the vk with new a new speaker(celestion) + any other worthwhile mods you guys can think of, or sell the vk and buy a Bugera 6262 212. Btw i mostly play metal and metalcore ( a7x, bfmv, kse, satyricon, lamb of god, danzig etc)
I'd get the Bugera. I didn't care for the VK when I had one...and you'd get closer to the sound you're looking for with the 6262.
I'd swap the tubes and speaker in the VK because then you get the sense of achievement when you make your gear better, and you'd probably spend less
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Yeh it probably will cost me less to upgrade the valveking but will my tone etc improve enought to justify it?
Speaker Swap
EQ Pedal
Overdrive Pedal

That will improve your sound drastically. Then tubes.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Cheers, what celestion speaker would you suggest( or any other speaker). Also iv been hearing there is a cheaper alternative to celestion's but i cant remember the brand.
Get a new amp.

Upgrading a VK is a waste of money.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have the 112 also and I can get a pretty good heavy tone out of it stock. It is a bit muddy, but a speaker swap will fix that. Im also going to go with the Warehouse Speakers Veteran 30. Its like $74 shipped instead of $140 for the Celestion equivalent. Im sure that speaker swap will get rid of alot of the muddiness in my sound. Then Im upgrading the tubes to see what kind difference that makes. Everyone has said it will be drastic and really open up my tone, so Im betting my tone will only get better from here on out. So new speakers and tubes will only cost me about $150.

Now I also thought about getting the 6262 when I got my VK. I even went and tested one out the day I got my VK. It is really heavy and does metal really well, but that seemed to be all that it would do. When I tried the VK it could get a decent metal tone (although I dont really play metal), plus really nice cleans and a nice starting point for a mid gain amp.

My personal opinion would be to upgrade the VK and stick with it as it is a bit more versatile. You could always through an EQ and OD pedal in front of the VK and push it to metal territory, but idk what you would have to do to the 6262 to get it out of metal territory and be good at something else.

Quote by MatrixClaw
Get a new amp.

Upgrading a VK is a waste of money.

Says the man with a new Genz-Benz El Diablo...
Last edited by music_mike at Oct 26, 2009,
Quote by music_mike

Now I also thought about getting the 6262 when I got my VK. I even went and tested one out the day I got my VK. It is really heavy and does metal really well, but that seemed to be all that it would do. When I tried the VK it could get a decent metal tone (although I dont really play metal), plus really nice cleans and a nice starting point for a mid gain amp.

couldnt be anymore wrong. the clean channel is a great sounding clean (not pristine but dirty) and with the crunch option, you can play anything from a country inspired sound, jazz, blues, classic rock and yes, it does metal very well. It is an extremely versitile amp and will by far exceed ANYTHING you do to the VK.
Cheers guys, still not any closer to deciding, though, im still tempted to go for the 6262 as unlike music_mike i mostly play metal, and can get away with a halfway decent tone for anything else i play.
Quote by music_mike
Says the man with a new Genz-Benz El Diablo...

You can get an El Diablo on eBay for a little more than a VK costs new, what's that have to do with anything...?

Sell the VK and buy a used Mesa combo. It will sound 100x better than the VK and be a lot more reliable than the 6262.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Sell the VK and get a used 5150.

edit: or a Mesa combo, or an El Diablo, or a XXX.
Last edited by BobDetroit at Oct 26, 2009,
Quote by MatrixClaw
You can get an El Diablo on eBay for a little more than a VK costs new, what's that have to do with anything....

UG Statute 43879-12 clearly states: Member must show proof of purchase of Chinese amp, $300 in upgrades, and $400 in pedals before mentioning quality used amp in their post to prevent hard feelings in majority of UGers. Crappy modeling amps credited if user has knowledge of said crappiness.
Quote by BobDetroit
UG Statute 43879-12 clearly states: Member must show proof of purchase of Chinese amp, $300 in upgrades, and $400 in pedals before mentioning quality used amp in their post to prevent hard feelings in majority of UGers. Crappy modeling amps credited if user has knowledge of said crappiness.

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by BobDetroit

Do what?
I can never find good used gear where i live though...so in that case it looks like im going for the 6262, whats the best way of selling gear and would 200 uk be a reasonable amount to ask for the valveking.
Get the 6262, or see if you find something better used (MC and others mentioned some).

The VK is not a bad amp by any means... when bought used .
There is a ton of hypocrisy surrounding it because people who bought it for metal NEW, did the upgrades (speaker, tubes, pedals), and were disappointed with their tone. It's not a metal amp without these upgrades and the amp mods (OT swap, bias mod). Even then, it's an acquired taste, which you may not like.

For the [at least] $650 you need for the Bugera 6262, you have some other options that would be much suited for what you want to play... I am not suggesting them, as most of them have already been iterated.