My band wants to get better recordings of the drums what kind of interface should i get that has around 8 imputs and I want one that will split up the imputs in my DAW. I was looking into buying the Tascam 1641 but I'm not sure how to divide up the imputs into the DAW and im not sure if it supports it. And no I don't have firewire do I need it to do what I want for the drums? If so how much would a firewire jack for the computer cost? I have a Dell Laptop that runs Windows Vista as my OS.

Thanks a lot!
To be honest to properly and effectively record drums you're going to need more than a basic interface, and you're going to have to have a variety of mic's, decent ones. A few sm58s/57's is not going to cut it especially for the bass drum, overheads and (if you're doing it) under the snare. Have you considered maybe recording the drums in a professional studio? As long as you have a click track and the drummer knows his stuff you can do it quickly so you dont have to break the bank and then you can go home with the master tapes and the record the rest of the overdubs.

Sorry if thats totally unhelpful.
Yeah we do have all the mics our drumer bought that 400 shure mic drum kit and i have 2 overheads and a snare so we have all the mics we need im just not sure how to get the individual tracks to the computer
I use an M-Audio ProFire 2626 and it works very well, though at time I still wish I had more inputs (thanks to a digital converter I'll get in the future I will).

What overheads are you using?
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
If you want to record multiple tracks simultaneously, you'll need an audio card that can support multiple input channels........Something like the M-Audio Delta 1010 LT, which has 10 in/10 out channels.

Each drum kit mic would be assigned to it's own separate channel. For example, Kick drum - channel #1, Snare - Channel #2, Left overhead - Channel #3, Right overhead - Channel #4....etc. Each one of these channels would be assigned into a different recording track within the DAW. That's a pain in the butt to set-up, but you'll have an amazing amount of control during mix down.