Hi Guys,
First post...

Looking at buying my first electric guitar here...
been looking at telecaster's & epiphone les pauls

any wisdom on these, or any other guitars which would be suitable?

many thanks in advance!
what kind of music do you like to play?
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
sorry guys lol
erm at the moment it would be..
indie/rock/metal

budget would be £200 max incl amp

thanks
the Les Paul would handle metal better because it comes stock with humbuckers which generally sound better than single coils for metal, so that gets my vote
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Ampwise I'd say go for a Roland Cube of some sort.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
you could get the Epiphone Les Paul Standard deluxe.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by Blacken Seas
you could get the Epiphone Les Paul Standard deluxe.

would this be with an amp?

i really like the les paul guitar & few reviews arent too bad on the epiphone one...
Quote by TimBFMV
Ampwise I'd say go for a Roland Cube of some sort.

how much are these amps?

never heard of them
They are really worth it. There only 1 or 200 as well I think, though I can't remember. Great amps.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
for a beginner who plays all sorts of music i'd go for an epi also. They can do pretty cheap guitars that suit about anything. If your just in your bedroom practising then get a marshall 15W, they coz around £50 but are well worth is to practise on
GEAR :

Ibanez SA260FM
Burswood Strat Copy
Marshall GV-2 Distortion
Crate FlexWave 120 Amp

Quote by james2610
for a beginner who plays all sorts of music i'd go for an epi also. They can do pretty cheap guitars that suit about anything. If your just in your bedroom practising then get a marshall 15W, they coz around £50 but are well worth is to practise on

marshall 15w
is there a specific one or is it just a generic one?

any websites i can get a good deal of a epi ?
depends what epi, some of the cheap ones are really poor quality but some are also great. In my local guitar store there are a few ESPs and Ibanez for about £150, im sure you could find one of them online for that price
GEAR :

Ibanez SA260FM
Burswood Strat Copy
Marshall GV-2 Distortion
Crate FlexWave 120 Amp

Well the price is competitive but i don't think the epi special ii is a very good guitar if i'm being honest with you. Basswood isn't a very good wood to make guitars out of.

I would recommend a Cort Z42, slightly more expensive but looks to be a better guitar going on the specs.
try to get something like a yamaha pacifica 112v and roland microcube. that might end up at something like £210 or £220, though, depending on how good value your local shop is. I've seen some great value on Lag guitars too, but they're only available online at that price, and I'm not sure of the wisdom of buying your first guitar online unless you have a guitar playing friend whom you'd trust to set it up for you (and who's willing to do that).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get a guitar that is as good as the amp. Whatever you do, do NOT get like a $20 guitar and then a $50 amp. Believe me, it will be bad. It's better to get like a $150 guitar and then a $100 amp, when you say you want to buy a first electric guitar, don't put the amp aside as an afterthought. Buying an amp is JUST as important as buying a guitar, so just remember it's very important that you get a decent amp.

Try the Peavey Vypyr 15 amp, when deciding the amp this amp should be the worst in your list of choices.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922851-i1413605.gc

And this guitar is pretty good.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG120-Electric-Guitar-103576583-i1167511.gc

Those 2 combined are a little less than 200 pounds, hope this helped!
Quote by Dave_Mc
try to get something like a yamaha pacifica 112v and roland microcube. that might end up at something like £210 or £220, though, depending on how good value your local shop is. I've seen some great value on Lag guitars too, but they're only available online at that price, and I'm not sure of the wisdom of buying your first guitar online unless you have a guitar playing friend whom you'd trust to set it up for you (and who's willing to do that).

This, you can't really get a good amp and guitar with £200 so save up a bit more and get a Roland Cube and Yamaha Pacifica.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by dsan224
Get a guitar that is as good as the amp. Whatever you do, do NOT get like a $20 guitar and then a $50 amp. Believe me, it will be bad. It's better to get like a $150 guitar and then a $100 amp, when you say you want to buy a first electric guitar, don't put the amp aside as an afterthought. Buying an amp is JUST as important as buying a guitar, so just remember it's very important that you get a decent amp.

Try the Peavey Vypyr 15 amp, when deciding the amp this amp should be the worst in your list of choices.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922851-i1413605.gc

And this guitar is pretty good.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG120-Electric-Guitar-10357653-
i1167511.gc

Those 2 combined are a little less than 200 pounds, hope this helped!

does this website ship to the uk?

the amp looks good i think ive found that on another site for about £60

the guitar seems more of a metal guitar, im after more of a rock guitar?
oh, ok, i didn't think of links. As i said, unless you have someone who can do a setup for you I wouldn't buy online for a first guitar (or unless you're willing to pay for a setup in the event the guitar doesn't come setup, which will erode most if not all your savings you got by going online ).

http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/electric/941-yamaha_pacifica_112j_electric_guitar (that's the older version, the newer version is slightly better, but is £30 or so more expensive). the cheapest i've seen the v version in the few online stores i checked was £175 on digital village.

http://www.waltons.ie/Product/View.aspx?id=10242 (that's very good value, if you do decide to go for it, you'd want to email them to check it's not b-stock or something. bear in mind it's also based in ireland, but they ship to the UK)

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/roland-micro-cube/12942

as i said, though, if you can find them in a local shop for a roughly comparable price (don't forget that most online stores will also charge a hefty postage fee), that's probably a better idea.

sorry about the prices, too, prices have gone up quite a bit in the last few months. Last time i checked the microcube was £60. That peavey vypyr is probably worth a try too, but I haven't tried it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh, ok, i didn't think of links. As i said, unless you have someone who can do a setup for you I wouldn't buy online for a first guitar (or unless you're willing to pay for a setup in the event the guitar doesn't come setup, which will erode most if not all your savings you got by going online ).

http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/electric/941-yamaha_pacifica_112j_electric_guitar (that's the older version, the newer version is slightly better, but is £30 or so more expensive). the cheapest i've seen the v version in the few online stores i checked was £175 on digital village.

http://www.waltons.ie/Product/View.aspx?id=10242 (that's very good value, if you do decide to go for it, you'd want to email them to check it's not b-stock or something. bear in mind it's also based in ireland, but they ship to the UK)

as i said, though, if you can find them in a local shop for a roughly comparable price (don't forget that most online stores will also charge a hefty postage fee), that's probably a better idea.

sorry about the prices, too, prices have gone up quite a bit in the last few months. Last time i checked the microcube was £60. That peavey vypyr is probably worth a try too, but I haven't tried it.

thanks for all the time and effort!

i popped into the local shop today but to little use

all their guitars were well over £200 and not much of a selection

pretty disappointing...

what do u mean by setting up the guitar?

thanks
basically making sure that the intonation is correct (that it sounds in tune all over the neck), that it's strung properly, that the action is at the proper height, etc. etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
so if i bought from a shop they would ensure all of this was sorted before i bought it??
unfortunately, not necessarily. But they should, and if you're local to the shop you can bring it back etc. if it's not up to scratch. plus if/when you get into bother trying to restring etc., you can bring it back for help, if you've bought from them they're going to be more pleased to see you than if you haven't.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
east midlands, surely you could go to a guitar shop in nottingham rather than buying online. also check your message inbox (and respond via the message system rather than on here please). Go to the very top of the page click MY PROFILE, on the left of the page you'll see the user menu, my messages...
washburn X10, (I should have got this instead of my Vintage soi could at least save for a better amp) roland microcube.

(Total £175.) Lead, picks, tuner, bag etc. will take you up to £200.

No more worrying, do it

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/x10/67536
£4 off, not bad guess eh?

Don't get a cube 15x, the microcubes are way better.
Last edited by Lollage123 at Oct 26, 2009,