Hey guys. I need you're helping. The 'rents said I could get a new amp for Christmas so I'm pretty stoked on that. Right now I have a Fender G-Dec Junior 15watt. It's an alright amp for noodling around on but I want something that I can play along with a band. Anyways, I'm looking at two amps. Line6 Spider 4 75watt and the Fender Frontman 212R 100watt. I've heard decent things about the Line6. Mainly that it sounds a lot less digital that their previous amps. But, I haven't really heard anything about the Frontman.

Has anyone had any experience with these two amps? Or does anyone recommend any amps around $300-350?

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to say I mainly play metal. Touch blues every once and a while
Last edited by Tymaster310 at Oct 26, 2009,
I would not reccomend either of those amps. Especially the Fender, do not get a fender for metal.

Your best bet in that budget would probably be a Peavey vypyr, as there aren't any small cheap tube amps I know of that can do metal (Although some may swear on the blackstar ht-5, I personally have never played one). The Vypyr is miles better than the Line6's and does have some decent metal tones.

Randall also have some cheap solid state heads that do metal fairly well too from what I've heard.

Saying that, I do think that having two practice amps is pointless, and you should stick with your GDEC till you can afford some sort of decent tube amp, ie Mesa.
A Fender Frontman for metal?

1) Ditch those two amps you listed.
2) Sell your G-Dec so you can add to your budget.
3) Maybe look at some mini tube amps. Have you heard of Krank? I'm not sure how much your G-Dec will add to your budget but I'd keep saving and get something decent.
Gear:
-2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-1 mini stack
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
A Fender Frontman for metal?

1) Ditch those two amps you listed.
2) Sell your G-Dec so you can add to your budget.
3) Maybe look at some mini tube amps. Have you heard of Krank? I'm not sure how much your G-Dec will add to your budget but I'd keep saving and get something decent.

lol I guess you guys can tell I'm still pretty new to this stuff lol. I doubt I'll be able to sell the GDEC. It's starting to crap out on me. Tone has gotten really muddy (Not sure if it's the amp or it's me hearing things) and the effects will randomly change even when set to bypass.
The Vypyr is much better than those two you mentioned TS, although I'm not a fan. If you do get it, make sure you get the Sanpera footswitch at some point.