Poll Options
View poll results: Which one sounded better
Rothwell
14 50%
Marshall
14 50%
Voters: 28.
Page 1 of 2
Well Pro Guitar Shop recently did a demo comparing the sound of overdriven marshall plexi and a clean fender amp with a rothwell hellbender od pedal run through it which is a very marshall voiced od. I thought this was really intresting. Thoughts? Which one sounded better? The videos is Here
I saw it before and actually thought the Rothwell was better. I liked the bit at the end where it showed that it tricked you into thinking the Rothwell was the Marshall
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
I prefered the sound of the Plexi, although the Rothwell did do a fairly convincing - and nice impression.

I would actually look into the Hellbender, because I love the sound of a cranked plexi, however my wallet does not

GAS
Throbak Stonebender | Fulltone Deja Vibe | Catalinbread Semaphore
holy crap, i liked the rothwell better. the rothwell sounds more like my valvepower 18 watter, a bit warmer.

i'd need to see how they were dialled in, and play them myself to make a fairer comparison, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Stuarttt-1
I prefered the sound of the Plexi, although the Rothwell did do a fairly convincing - and nice impression.

I would actually look into the Hellbender, because I love the sound of a cranked plexi, however my wallet does not

Doesn't the Hot Cake cover the same ground?
When I get a fendery amp (probably DRRI) in like over a year, I might have to try the Rothwell and compare it to my Valvepower, and if it does it good enough, I could sell the Valvepower.

Thats a big if btw.
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
yeah, i want a fender-style amp at some point too, just i don't trust fender to have the specs right on their cheaper models (heck, on their dearer ones )...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i want a fender-style amp at some point too, just i don't trust fender to have the specs right on their cheaper models (heck, on their dearer ones )...
Yeah. I wonder if the reissue or the silverface Deluxe reverb is better..

Don't see too many silverfaces in the UK though.
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
yeah, the states is where you want to be for most of those older fenders. i guess we get more of the marshalls, though.

i haven't tried either of them. Most of the shops here stop at the hot rods, which is annoying. Or maybe have one of the reissues, when i want to try the entire range.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wait a second, a cranked marshall 50 watter run through a 212 loaded with 15 WATT Celestion Alnico Blues
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, the states is where you want to be for most of those older fenders. i guess we get more of the marshalls, though.

i haven't tried either of them. Most of the shops here stop at the hot rods, which is annoying. Or maybe have one of the reissues, when i want to try the entire range.
Well that sucks when we have the cheaper hand wired Marshall clone and no cheap fender ones.

The Deluxe Reverb looks ideal for me as it's the right wattage.

Maybe I should try a blues jr... Don't think it'll have enough headroom as ideally you want your clean amp to have more headroom .
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by Rhoads_1096
Wait a second, a cranked marshall 50 watter run through a 212 loaded with 15 WATT Celestion Alnico Blues
Aren't Greenbacks 25 watts?
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Yeah maybe a 412 or he pulled some tubes maybe?
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
i guess it would depend on the what tubes are in your amp but it does do a nice job of plexi crunch
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by greggybhoy
Doesn't the Hot Cake cover the same ground?

Pretty much., although I sort of see the Hotcake having more of a Vox-y crunch to it. Nevertheless, the GAS lists grows even bigger, yet again

GAS
Throbak Stonebender | Fulltone Deja Vibe | Catalinbread Semaphore
I preferred the with the Les Paul, but the Marshall with the Tele. Also, I got the blind test right! Go me.

BUT: we only saw at most 2 settings on the Marshall and at most 3 on the Rothwell. And also, the settings of the amp the Rothwell's plugged into will make a difference.

I really want a tweed deluxe! RIs AND vintage are too expensive...
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Last edited by monkey_dancer at Oct 26, 2009,
I'll take your Hot Cake then

I'm probably only round the corner from you too - we do live in the biggest village in the world!
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
When I get a fendery amp (probably DRRI) in like over a year, I might have to try the Rothwell and compare it to my Valvepower, and if it does it good enough, I could sell the Valvepower.

Thats a big if btw.

We need to get Steve to start doing some Fender circuits. If I had one of those plus my VP I'd have found my Holy Grail.

Maybe a Mark 1 clone with power scale would be nice too though.
I wonder how my Rothwell Heartbreaker will sound with my ValvePower; which should be here on Saturday!

Edit: I prefered the Rothwell, The Plexi didn't have enough mids
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Last edited by Jak Archer at Oct 26, 2009,
I saw this the other day and was blown away! For a pedal, its a great convincing one. BUT, i still think i like the Marshall better
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
Well that sucks when we have the cheaper hand wired Marshall clone and no cheap fender ones.

The Deluxe Reverb looks ideal for me as it's the right wattage.

Maybe I should try a blues jr... Don't think it'll have enough headroom as ideally you want your clean amp to have more headroom .

aye. cheapest i've seen is that rosewell amps dude, whom i have no experience with, and his have gone up £100 in the past month or two. And they're still about £600-£700 for a tweed deluxe, which is quite a bit simpler than the deluxe reverb.

Quote by greggybhoy
We need to get Steve to start doing some Fender circuits. If I had one of those plus my VP I'd have found my Holy Grail.

yeah, i was half thinking of emailing him to ask him if he'd consider other clones. I haven't decided 100%, obviously, apart from anything I'd need to get to try some fenders to see which one I actually want to clone... I'd be willing to get a head, too, as long as you can still fit the reverb tank in there...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If the bass on the Plexi's EQ would have been turned up more, it would have been pretty much the same I guess.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i was half thinking of emailing him to ask him if he'd consider other clones. I haven't decided 100%, obviously, apart from anything I'd need to get to try some fenders to see which one I actually want to clone... I'd be willing to get a head, too, as long as you can still fit the reverb tank in there...

If he did a fender clone... I would 100% buy that. But for now, we can but dream...
Quote by XxLloydxX
I'd have liked to see the demo using something like a BF Twin Reverb rather than a tweed Twin. The problem is that the tweed twin is kind of dark and when you push the preamp, can get a Marshall-esque snarl itself. I think the Rothwell sounds smoother, but a lot of that is due to the fact that the Fender tweed is naturally darker than the Marshall.

In the end, I'd say that the Rothwell sounds pretty good, but doesn't really sound like the plexi at all to my ears. It just doesn't have that grind or the same kind of complexity that the Marshall has. The plexi is obviously more amp like in response and more dynamic in touch, you can really hear the blooming in the notes when you pick hard. The tweed with the pedal really just sounds more like a tweed... but with more gain. Just my $0.02.
^
It doesn't really sound the same, no. And although I've never heard the pedal through any other amp, or in person ( ) I'm sure it sounds different through different things, and an overdriven twin does have a unique character... I'm confused about they decided to use an already overdriven twin, surely for a test of just the pedal you would use a clean amp like a Twin Reverb as you said, not something like a tweed?
Quote by XxLloydxX
Last edited by monkey_dancer at Oct 26, 2009,
Quote by monkey_dancer
If he did a fender clone... I would 100% buy that. But for now, we can but dream...

yeah... i'm wondering if enough people emailed him to ask about it, if he might consider it.

still, early days yet, as i said, I don't even know which one i want to get cloned.

Quote by al112987
I'd have liked to see the demo using something like a BF Twin Reverb rather than a tweed Twin. The problem is that the tweed twin is kind of dark and when you push the preamp, can get a Marshall-esque snarl itself. I think the Rothwell sounds smoother, but a lot of that is due to the fact that the Fender tweed is naturally darker than the Marshall.

In the end, I'd say that the Rothwell sounds pretty good, but doesn't really sound like the plexi at all to my ears. It just doesn't have that grind or the same kind of complexity that the Marshall has. The plexi is obviously more amp like in response and more dynamic in touch, you can really hear the blooming in the notes when you pick hard. The tweed with the pedal really just sounds more like a tweed... but with more gain. Just my $0.02.

yep, probably. i'd also like to see how they were both dialled in, the plexi was slightly too bright for my ears, but maybe that's just the stock tone of one.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
wow...all i can say is wow...
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Rothwell sounded more....open.
Btw is he playing back in the saddle again at the end?
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah... i'm wondering if enough people emailed him to ask about it, if he might consider it.

still, early days yet, as i said, I don't even know which one i want to get cloned.
Same. I'll try some fenders when i go to find a new guitar after christmas. I want a strat more than a les paul now. I tried my friends Squier Classic Vibe 50s and it was awesome . I want to try a DRRI and if I really like it, I'll email him.

Quote by greggybhoy

Never tried a Mark 1. I've tried a Mark 4 and I didn't like all the buttons and switches, it's all a bit confusing. I assume the Mark 1 is less complicated?
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Last edited by ILiKePiNeAppLeS at Oct 27, 2009,
The Marshall was by far better
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
Same. I'll try some fenders when i go to find a new guitar after christmas. I want a strat more than a les paul now. I tried my friends Squier Classic Vibe 50s and it was awesome . I want to try a DRRI and if I really like it, I'll email him.

the tweed deluxe would be a simpler circuit... he may be more willing to do that. But then you'd lose the reverb and the tremolo/vibrato, and the blackface-style cleans. As i said, I still have to decide. I don't even know of any shop here which would stock all, or even most, of the fender reissues. Grr.

Quote by stykerwolf
100% sure the Plexi won hands down in that room and came out bleh through a mic.

that's entirely possible. and also, they may want to sell the pedal, and may be dialling it in to sound better. I'd also add that, although I preferred the pedal, I didn't think it really sounded that close to the plexi.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

that's entirely possible. and also, they may want to sell the pedal, and may be dialling it in to sound better. I'd also add that, although I preferred the pedal, I didn't think it really sounded that close to the plexi.

yeah it's easier to sell a pedal then a reissue Plexi, they probably miced the Plexi up with their camera mic or some lame ass mic. it's also with the youtube compression, i'm sure the Plexi sounded more Marshall to Andy's ears then the Rothwell

Also, like Al said, they should try it with a BF Twin Reverb or a JC120 because i'm guessing they had the Rothwell ontop of the preamp breakup to sound more marshall-esque
Quote by Dave_Mc
the tweed deluxe would be a simpler circuit... he may be more willing to do that. But then you'd lose the reverb and the tremolo/vibrato, and the blackface-style cleans. As i said, I still have to decide. I don't even know of any shop here which would stock all, or even most, of the fender reissues. Grr.
I guess. I'm also considering a blues junior with a more efficient speaker and high headroom tubes. If it still didn't have enough headroom I could just turn the power on the Valvepower down a bit.

This is assuming I like the sound of it.
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
^ haha, yeah.

Quote by stykerwolf
yeah it's easier to sell a pedal then a reissue Plexi, they probably miced the Plexi up with their camera mic or some lame ass mic. it's also with the youtube compression, i'm sure the Plexi sounded more Marshall to Andy's ears then the Rothwell

Also, like Al said, they should try it with a BF Twin Reverb or a JC120 because i'm guessing they had the Rothwell ontop of the preamp breakup to sound more marshall-esque

yeah, definitely. or being really evil, they can sell the pedal to people looking to cheap out, then sell the amp later when they realise the pedal isn't as close as they thought.

and yeah, a different choice of amp would be good too. Tweed fenders (as far as i've been told) aren't a million miles from vintage marshalls anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Oh btw would the Tweed Deluxe sound a bit like the tweed twin in the video that this thread is about because it sounds really nice.
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
not sure, i don't think i've tried either. There are absolutely tons of youtube vids of tweed deluxes and clones, though. I've been checking out fender amps and clones on youtube, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2