I'm not one to ask everyone's opinion on technique very frequently, but I'm having a lot of trouble here..
I don't like the sound an angled pick makes ie Paul Gilbert in this video, when he talks about the cello sound. I like the parallel sound the best.
Problem is, I can't find a way to hold the pick and wrist in a comfortable way to do so; I find I'm most relaxed at a slight angle. The only way I can make it parallel is if I only use the top 15% of my wrist motion, which is not comfortable at all for me.
I am really wondering if anyone could recommend me any mechanics to check out to pick parallel to strings; maybe I just need to angle a bit and I'm being too picky. I dunno. Either way,
i would recommend trying new picks, paul uses quite a sharp pick and the material is is made from has some friction which makes the scratchy sound, i find that using a big stubby pick (which is plastic and has a smoother point) gives a much smoother sound even when angled slightly
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
You have to try out more angles and such yourself, it's perfectly possible to hit the string parallel, just experiment - not just with the right hand but with the placement of the guitar, strap length, etc.
try extremely flimsy picks like jim dunlop .38 nylon, or use a big stubby but with a looser hold, and it should make it easier to get into picking parallel.
Try raising your strap. It seems like that would make your pick hit at a more parrallel angle. For me it would at least. Just experiment
I hate my sig
Still haven't figured it out. I'm getting really discouraged about it too I've been watching Buckethead more though, and however he picks looks how I am trying to get it.
I'm pretty sure that Buckethead uses a combination of PG's picking style and Pebber Brown's SAROD picking.
^ not really important - concentrate on relaxed, precise motions and good tone.

Quote by leephan
I'm pretty sure that Buckethead uses a combination of PG's picking style and Pebber Brown's SAROD picking.

Really? Where's BH do any sarod picking?

Bearing in mind that it's not "SAROD" picking - It's an instrument, not an acronym.