Hi, for some reason, my cab isn't home for a while. All i have left is my mesa single rectifier head and an old marshall mg100dfx. I wanted to know if i unplug the speaker cable that connects into my marshall preamp in the back of the amp and plug it into my mesa head, would it work? Its a 4ohms so i would plug it in the 4 ohms. Also, my speaker can handle 100watt and my head is 50 so i guess it might be ok? Just want to be sure though.

*MG flameshield activated*
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Last edited by AmericanParadox at Oct 26, 2009,
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
NOOOOO! You will do serious damage!

I thought it would be ok if my head didn't have more wattage than what the speaker can take.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
NOOOOO! You will do serious damage!

Why? The ohms match, the wattage is safe... You're fine to do that. This guy is either being sarcastic or he has no idea what he's talking about.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Yeah, that's what i though, everything would fit. Well, thanks mate. Can't wait to get back my marshall cab though, i don't like plugging my mesa in this piece of crap. She deserves better
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
oh - very sorry, read it wrong... I thought you wanted to plug your head into the input....
*lurks embarrassed for an hour*

No problem, I thought I'd seen you around here enough that you'd know better than that...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
It'll be fine, if your speakers can handle 100 watts and your amp is only 50 watt(dosent matter if its tube or SS) the speaker should handle it rather well.

But what this guy is freaken out about is if you put 50 watts of power into a preamp, which is not meant to handle watts, then you will damage your amp, or the speaker cab amp. The best thing to do is take the back off the MG, find where the speaker wires go into the amp, disconnect the wires from the amp, go and get a 1/4in jack, and wire your speakers up to that, then use your line out on your amp to the 1/4 jack you just installed. Then you should be fine.
Quote by ethan_hanus
It'll be fine, if your speakers can handle 100 watts and your amp is only 50 watt(dosent matter if its tube or SS) the speaker should handle it rather well.

But what this guy is freaken out about is if you put 50 watts of power into a preamp, which is not meant to handle watts, then you will damage your amp, or the speaker cab amp. The best thing to do is take the back off the MG, find where the speaker wires go into the amp, disconnect the wires from the amp, go and get a 1/4in jack, and wire your speakers up to that, then use your line out on your amp to the 1/4 jack you just installed. Then you should be fine.

Well it already has a cable coming from the speaker and plugged in my marshall preamp. If i unplug it and plug it in my head, isn't it the same thing?
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET