http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-ERG121-Electric-Guitar-Pack/dp/B000I1Q4YW

My mate's got this, and while the guitar is fairly average for what it is, the amp wasn't terrible. In fact, I'd even say it levels my microcube.. The cube has settings, which is pretty lazy, and no EQ, and the Yamaha distortion is on par with the cube. cleans were nice, and I could actually customise the sound to how I want it, not with just a tone and gain knob..

Tbh, I would have got this if I had to choose, so I could save for a new guitar/amp.. A good £70 would have gone towards a new guitar/amp..

So yeah, whats the fuzz with this? Its not as bad as its hyped up to be..
Poor stuff sucks compared to expensive stuff. That is it really. It tends to be of worse quality the cheaper it is.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by Hereiwas
Poor stuff sucks compared to expensive stuff. That is it really. It tends to be of worse quality the cheaper it is.

I realised that, but for people on a budget surely? I think these are given way too much downtalk. Give the guitar a good proper setup and your sorted..

EDIT: Whoa I sound like an advertisment
Quote by Lollage123
I realised that, but for people on a budget surely? I think these are given way too much downtalk. Give the guitar a good proper setup and your sorted..

EDIT: Whoa I sound like an advertisment

I guess it just depends on what you get. Some cheap stuff is better than some expensive stuff, and vice versa.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
You're comparing two budget things. Cheap things will rival other cheap things. But they won't rival things in a different class.
Its not a guitar my dad used to have one as for the amp i do not know, if you like it so what?
Legend.
There will be some stuff that is cheap and alright. There will be some stuff that is cheap and sucks shit.

There will be some stuff that is expensive and really good. There will be some stuff that is expensive and not be that great.

Price does not always correlate to quality but on the whole it does. Then there are all the other subjective issues that will make one thing better than another.

Basically price isn't everything but it is a good measure of quality, reputation of the brand and can correlate with how 'good' something is. And at the end of the day it doesn't matter too much cos we go to stores and try stuff out, if we like it we haggle/shop around for the best deal and aren't going just on price.

Further, within the whole musical instrument industry there are different markets. Within each price bracket you will find a range of good and bad. Why does that surprise you so much?
Yamaha is probably the best brand for this sort of pack. The guitar won't be great but it will play well enough and be solid as a rock. The amp will be adequate but not much better than that.
You could get a Yamaha Pacifica or the entry level Cort Strat type and a Roland Cube 15x for £200 but the gig bag, strap leads etc would take it over that price a bit for not much more except a nicer practice amp.
As you know, the Vintage V100s are a great buy and used ones are going on ebay for not much over £100, That would be a good basis for a starter set up.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I have this pack. and i absolutely love the guitar. it lasted me until i bought my gibby, and that was about 3 years. hell, i still pick it up and play it every now and then. no problems with it.

Also the amp is decent.
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany

Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop with Seymour Duncan Alnico II's

Seagull 25th anniversary Mahogany Edition

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Quote by Lurcher
You could get a Yamaha Pacifica .

The best thing about pacificas is that when you have more expensive gear you can go back and upgrade them with new pickups and tuners and treat the neck and they are great guitars after just a little bit of work