i like bands like
Alter Bridge, Angels & Airwaves, Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold, Black Label Society, Blink-182, Blue Oyster Cult, Breaking Benjamin, Bullet For My Valentine, Dethklok, Disturbed, Eric Clapton, Escape The Fate, Godsmack, Guns n' Roses, Jimi Hendrix, Megadeth, Metallica, Motley Crue, My Chemical Romance, Nightwish, Ozzy, Paramore, Shinedown Sixx AM, Three Days Grace

and i have $300 at the most to spend

so what should i look at
Last edited by Drakhiei at Oct 26, 2009,
^This is a good idea, but make sure it's not so used that it's garbage. Most used Epi LP Standards seem to be closer to $400, especially with shipping and all that.
Haven't you heard?

It's a battle of words
Don't make the same mistake I did and get anything fender style. I suggest get an ibanez they are great guitars you can get cheap if you find a good one for a cheap price. If not try a lower end ESP or Jackson model if you can find one.
Quote by Drakhiei
i like bands like
Alter Bridge, Angels & Airwaves, Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold, Black Label Society, Blink-182, Blue Oyster Cult, Breaking Benjamin, Bullet For My Valentine, Dethklok, Disturbed, Eric Clapton, Escape The Fate, Godsmack, Guns n' Roses, Jimi Hendrix, Megadeth, Metallica, Motley Crue, My Chemical Romance, Nightwish, Ozzy, Paramore, Shinedown Sixx AM, Three Days Grace

and i have $300 at the most to spend

so what should i look at

lol why dont you be me?
you have the same things that i did when i picked my first guitar( my parents even told me i only had 300$ to spend too) if you want my honest opinion, in the year that ive played, you cant really get a good permamnent guitar for under 300 but what you should look at is the knockoffs of the famous guitars, for my first i got an epiphone les paul special 2 with a line 6 amp (dont think about getting the spider 3- it sucks majorly, try a spider 4 ive heard those are better, or just try another one) the 30 watt and those two have held up pretty well and the total without all the other things i bought (picks, strap, cable, etc...) was just under 300

hope that helps
h'wat
I cannot fit into your skin.
Look at the Agile Les Paul models. They should cover most if your needs.
What amp do you have or are considering?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Save up and get a mid-level ibanez of some kind. Tbh they're not really my thing, but i have played a fair few mid-range ones and thought "now i can see why people bum them so much". They are really good guitars for the money. I think i played a couple of the RG range, they ranged from around upper £300s to £500

EDIT: actually on second thoughts that's out of your price range. find a slightly cheaper one and take along a guitar playing friend to judge whether it's any good.
Go to a local guitar shop if one is nearby, or perhaps find some friends how have guitars and just play around on them to get a feel for what you like. Just find something comfortable.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Quote by Lurcher
Look at the Agile Les Paul models. They should cover most if your needs.
What amp do you have or are considering?

i watched allot of youtube demos and had the local guitar shop owner play on some of the amps and i decided on a Vox Vavletronix 15
Quote by Drakhiei
i watched allot of youtube demos and had the local guitar shop owner play on some of the amps and i decided on a Vox Vavletronix 15

just ebay Epiphone Les Paul standard like I said before; there are plenty under $300 if you bid on them. Just make sure there is nothing majorly wrong with them and you should be good to go...I love my Epi Les Paul Standard (put active EMGs in it) but I got it on ebay for 350 or so 4 years ago.
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Quote by devilskommander
lol why dont you be me?
you have the same things that i did when i picked my first guitar( my parents even told me i only had 300$ to spend too) if you want my honest opinion, in the year that ive played, you cant really get a good permamnent guitar for under 300 but what you should look at is the knockoffs of the famous guitars, for my first i got an epiphone les paul special 2 with a line 6 amp (dont think about getting the spider 3- it sucks majorly, try a spider 4 ive heard those are better, or just try another one) the 30 watt and those two have held up pretty well and the total without all the other things i bought (picks, strap, cable, etc...) was just under 300

hope that helps

this is exactly me as well. pretty much all the bands you listed are my favorites and my special II is very versatile. spend a decent amount of money on your first amp though.