So here's my dilemma: My wife is going to get me an upper level quality guitar as a present for graduating college. We're talking $1,500-$2,000 guitar. I've been playing a lot of different models at the local Guitar Center here and I've lowered it down to 3 models. The first is a Gibson Firebird V. The second is a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro. The third is a PRS CE22. I really like the way the PRS plays. I like the fact you can split the coils on the humbuckers and also get single coil tones out of it. But, the Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro does the same function. But one thing I'm weary on is the bolt-on neck. I've had problems with bolt-ons before and don't intend to go through that hell again whereas the LP has a set neck. So here's the question. Which one should I get and why? Also, how is the bolt-on quality of the neck of a PRS different from a run of the mill Stratocaster?
Get a luthier to custom build you a guitar if you intend on paying that much, you'll get much more guitar for your money...

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Based on looks, I prefer the Les Paul and the PRS more than the Firebird. Other than that, I'm sure they all sound and play well. That's just my 2 cents.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Don't want to sound like a bandwagoner but aparrently Gibson guitars aren't that great any more in terms of quality.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
when your paying for highend guitars you get the build quality of a highend guitar, your apparent hell like experience with bolt-on`s describe... set necks and neck thru are a lot of hassle in term of setup and/or replacement

if you like the way a guitar plays and it`s tone then that`s the one for you....

you`ve neglected to mention what amp and music genre...

troll detector on standby....
A luthier made custom guitar for 2,000 dollars... I don't really think you can get one for that. I would say 3500 and up
I personally hate gibson LPs. Their necks are rubbish and they don't make up for it in any other aspects. They're also really damn heavy. PRS is known for their great high-end guitars, but not sure about the one you mentioned. My two cents is that in all cases, you're paying more for the brand name on the headstock than for the guitar. I'd say Ibanez, simply because they're versatile, they have great necks, some prestige models are neck-through, and you're getting much more bang for your buck.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I meant to mention that I play a wide variety of styles. Mostly blues, funk, and classic rock style. I play through an epiphone valve jr stack if that helps. I think I'm going to go either with the PRS or the LP. Thoughts?

Oh, and the thing with the bolt-on necks: I've had problems with warping in the neck that's on my mexi strat right now. It's been a pain in the ass to take care of.
Being a PRS, and an American one, the bolt-on neck wouldn't be anything bad. They are very high quality, and I'm not sure your problem with bolt-on necks to begin with. Most people feel either indifferent or in love with bolt-ons. Bolt-ons can usually give better attack, and in some cases, better sustain than a set-neck. If you ever have "issues" with a bolt-on neck, then if they're serious enough you can replace it much easier than set neck or thru neck. Please do explain your issues with bolt-on.

EDIT: Oh ok with the warping. Half the problem is bad setup I'll bet you.
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Last edited by Zakkcd at Oct 26, 2009,
A warped neck isn't caused by the type of joint. At least if you get warping on bolt-on it can be replaced easily. The PRS CEs are PRS quality and I love them. They are definitely the most tonally versatile of your choices. If the bolt on is really an issue look at PRS Miras or used Customs and McCartys (McCarty 1>McCarty 2 IMO) or you might get lucky and snag a Standard 22 somewhere new for less than 2K. To me there is just nothing better sounding than a PRS and a single ended valve amp on full throttle.
the PRS will be great. its a high quality guitar, i doubt the bolt-on will be any bad. i bet it will be great!!
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Quote by ryanlombard
So here's my dilemma: My wife is going to get me an upper level quality guitar as a present for graduating college. We're talking $1,500-$2,000 guitar. I've been playing a lot of different models at the local Guitar Center here and I've lowered it down to 3 models. The first is a Gibson Firebird V. The second is a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro. The third is a PRS CE22. I really like the way the PRS plays. I like the fact you can split the coils on the humbuckers and also get single coil tones out of it. But, the Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro does the same function. But one thing I'm weary on is the bolt-on neck. I've had problems with bolt-ons before and don't intend to go through that hell again whereas the LP has a set neck. So here's the question. Which one should I get and why? Also, how is the bolt-on quality of the neck of a PRS different from a run of the mill Stratocaster?

My vote goes the PRS. I've always fancied how they look, and since you're in the $1500-$2000 range, you'll definitely be getting an awesome PRS. They don't let any bad ones come out of their factories on their higher end models.

My opinion with the bolt on, is that they're great. I don't like set necks for some reason, just feels awkward to me. In the case it happens, you can always replace bolt on necks, while with set necks you can't. You can also exchange different neck shapes, I know there are a few places that make PRS necks (inlays and all) with different radiuses and neck profiles.

These are the two PRS models I've been playing and I really like. The first is a CE24 and the second is a McCarty with soapbar pickups. Thoughts?
Those are both gorgeous guitars, but if I were you I'd get one with the birds on the fretboard. It's just wrong to get a PRS without birds.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
^ +1

PRS gets my vote.
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student