Hi, I'm looking for a new guitar, but don't quite know what to get.

I currently own a Ibanez RG350DX, really great looking but not that great to play on, So I'm looking for a new guitar! Preferably a new Ibanez, specs should be something like;

- 24 frets
- locking floyd-rose type bridge
- better pick-ups

I take an interest in neoclassical music, and really like artists like Jason Becker (that's why I need the floyd) and Yngwie Malmsteen.
There's a lot of Ibanez's out there, but can't really figure out which ones are crap and which aren't, so a little help would be great.. I have about 1200$ budget.

Thanks you =)
look at the prestige models rg1550,1570, even then you are going to be looking at stock pups (v7 and v8 as opposed to the infinity series one`s you currently have) and the rrp is slightly over $1300 but you can knock about 15% of the rrp and can always install some dimarzios later on.
Or you could just buy a Jackson SL3 or an ESP MH1000 and actually get some decent pickups and still be under budget.
Quote by fretz86
Or you could just buy a Jackson SL3 or an ESP MH1000 and actually get some decent pickups and still be under budget.

This
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
I noticed that the jackson nor the LTD/ESP had original Floyd rose's, which of the two would you say have the best system?
I assume that I'm correct to think that these to floyd-copies are better than the one on my Ibanez?

I liked the looks and specs of both guitars, but which one would you think is better? The SL3 or MH-1000?

And to finish off I'd like to ask one more question; Is the Jackson neck "fat" or is it more like Ibanez slim on this guitar?
js1200
as good as joes guitar
plus it was pickup splitting and a SUPER low action
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Just put new pickups on the rg350dx. If you don't like the trem, you can always get a new trem for it too. Both those things will cost less and probably end up being better then getting a new guitar.

But if you insist on getting a new guitar, get an ESP.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Just put new pickups on the rg350dx. If you don't like the trem, you can always get a new trem for it too. Both those things will cost less and probably end up being better then getting a new guitar.

But if you insist on getting a new guitar, get an ESP.

Not at all. Adding all the stuff you get with a Prestige (better pickups, trem, case) comes up to about $900. But you can get a Prestige $1000 that would be made of much higher quality wood, comes with a better neck, a better case, and much better craftsmanship. I don't know why people insist on spending $400+ to upgrade the trem and pickups on a $400 guitar when you could just spend a little more and get something a lot better.

I say get an RG1550M or a RG1570. If you can spend a little more, also look at the RG3550Z or RG3570Z. If you're planning on playing neoclassical, I think Ibanez is a great choice. There's a reason why a lot of the players play Ibanezes. (Good) Basswood is great for neoclassical. A lot of players use custom basswood guitars. Alder is popular too, but I think basswood works better. Even ash is popular but moreso in Japan because they make a lot of ash guitars that are strictly for the Japanese market (ESP Original, Schecter Japan, Killer). Mahogany isn't used as much as the other woods. The S5470 is mahogany and you can look at that too. It doesn't have a lot of the negatives associated with mahogany for shred because of its thin body.
The Jacksons have a pretty thin neck not a thin as a Wizard II but thin enough to shred for sure. Both LFRs should be pretty good quality but I can't personally say which is better. My personal choice would probably be the Jackson but I dont care for active pickups. You can get the MH 1000 with Duncans but I think only in fixed bridge format. If you get the chance the best case scenario would be to play all your choices one after the other. As I always say when shopping Feel>Sound>Looks.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Not at all. Adding all the stuff you get with a Prestige (better pickups, trem, case) comes up to about $900. But you can get a Prestige $1000 that would be made of much higher quality wood, comes with a better neck, a better case, and much better craftsmanship. I don't know why people insist on spending $400+ to upgrade the trem and pickups on a $400 guitar when you could just spend a little more and get something a lot better.

agreed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Zolantor
Well.. Which of the Jackson or the LTD would be a better buy?

Depends on whichever one you prefer more. All 3 guitars (jackson, ltd, ibanez prestinge) are great guitars and really it's up to you to feel whichever one feels better and is more suited for you.
Used ESP or highest end Prestige, I really trust in Used gear, you can get real deals for 1300 USD
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Zolantor
I noticed that the jackson nor the LTD/ESP had original Floyd rose's, which of the two would you say have the best system?
I assume that I'm correct to think that these to floyd-copies are better than the one on my Ibanez?

I liked the looks and specs of both guitars, but which one would you think is better? The SL3 or MH-1000?

And to finish off I'd like to ask one more question; Is the Jackson neck "fat" or is it more like Ibanez slim on this guitar?

They both have similar, if not the same, bridges. They are official Floyd Rose products (i.e. not LFR), but they're not the standard Made in Germany OFR. As far as I know, they are very good, if not quite as good as a proper OFR.

As for which of the two is better, it's personal opinion. I'm a Jackson fan myself, so I would prefer the SL3, but I've noticed a lot of people round here mentioning that you can get some of the LTD 1000 series quite cheap at the moment, so they're definitely both worth looking into, along with the Prestige RGs that people have recommended.

The Jackson neck is something that I can try to describe. They're really comfortable to me. They tend to be fairly thin and quite wide. Not quite as thin as the Ibanez Wizards, but I'd say they're just right. The fretboards on Jacksons are also quite interesting, as they're compound radius. They start off at 12" (or 14" on some models) at the nut, and as you move along the fretboard they get progressively flatter, until the end where they're 16".

Try all your options, and pick the one that you like best. Like I mentioned, the SL3, MH1000 and Prestige RGs are certainly all worth a try in a store somewhere.

EDIT: Adrian89 also makes a good point. If you have a budget like yours you can get some quite high end gear if you're willing to go used. Jackson USA, ESP Standard series and so on. It's worth a look.
Last edited by Confuse-a-Cat at Oct 29, 2009,
if you can find an ibanez destroyer and put some seymour-duncans in it, youll be good to go.
Quote by Don't Stop
Put a piece of tape on the headstock and write "Gibson" on it.
If done properly, this should quadruple your sustain.

Quote by pitobodies
That post is probably the deepest, wisest, most mature thing to ever spill forth from the Pit.

Metallica!!
Maiden!!
A7X!!
Well, as I've been searching on the internet I kinda thought "Screw my budget; It's smarter to invest in something really good than something mediocre since I will benefit both financially and musicaly on it in the long run."

So I've been looking at some J-Custom Ibanez's on Ebay. Their really pretty, great speccs and high-end guitars.
They are a bit expensive, but the USD currency is quite low (Time to thank the financial crisis!) so they're not that expensive afterall.

I live in Norway just to have that sorted out.

1 USD = 5.7 NOK (Norwegian Crones/Norske Kroner)

The guitar costs 2100 USD with shipping included. That's about 11.000 NOK + 25% in taxes(VAT?) = 14968 NOK.

Then we get to my questions:

1 - Is my math correct, this will be the price I will end up paying, right?

2 - Will the guitar be worth my expense?
sounds about right, assuming you've got the postage, tax rate and exchange rate (none of which i checked).

really depends on if you like the guitar. I've liked all the j-customs I've tried, but I've liked some more than others, if that makes sense. One of the j-customs I tried was among the nicest guitars I've ever played, but that was only one out of about 4 or 5 so it's by no means guaranteed. Plus you might like completely different guitars to me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Honestly the higher your budget goes the more options you have so look around. If you have the cash I like Tom Anderson guitars and John Suhr guitars. Regarded as some of the best from the USA. There are a lot of European luthiers too though.
i was just about to say that, I've liked the J customs, and I thought they were noticeably better than the prestiges I tried, but at that budget (or very little more), you have a lot of options... tyler would be another option, and things like vigier etc. etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
J. Customs are great, but they're all mahogany. I would take a basswood Prestige over a J. Custom for my music. The thing is that Ibanez Prestige, ESP Standard, and Jackson USA are nowhere near mediocre. They're great. Don't just get a J. Custom just to get it. You'll get a great guitar no matter what guitar you choose if you're going with those companies. But if you were planning to get a RG3620Z, then definitely go for the J. Custom since the specs are the same but the J. Custom is higher quality.
I've landed on a J-Custom RG8570Z.

Really like the speccs on the guitar. Checked out DiMarzio's website and read about the pick-ups, and I got to admit that it didn't dissapoint me (Did listen to some sound samples too).
It's purple amethyst and I really love the finish and colour, owning a purple guitar has been one of my dreams for a long time.

Had to borrow some money from my parents, but hopefully it will be worth it. Last time I got a new guitar (Upgraded from a Morgan Legend Series to a Ibanez RG350DX) it became more fun to play, and I have to say that I got better pretty fast.

Thanks for all the help, And wish me good luck on my bidding!
Guitar Fetish? I don't know, They have lots of guitars check 'em out! (It's a website, Their guitars are Xaviere guitars)
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.