I have a plan for a Strat-style guitar build. Basically, it's the standard Strat shape, quilt maple top. Finish would be a deep blue color in the middle with an opaque black burst around it. I'd like to have a binding around it, quilt maple in the same color of the blue in the middle.

I was trying to figure out what would be the best way to do this. My main thought at this time is to dye the whole guiter blue, apply the burst, and then route out the edge of the guitar. Take a strip of maple, dye that the same blue, glue it into the routed cavity. clean it up, clear coat, done.

Would that be easier, or would it be easier to just mask off the edge while painting the burst?

I cannot decide, anyone have any words of wisdom?
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
id say just masking off the while you do the burst would be way easier.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
you could do the blue, mask off the binding you want (so the tape reveals only the binding rather than covering it up) and then lay down some sanding sealer onto the binding area, take off the tape and do the opaque edges and then scrape off the sealed from the blue binding and proceed with clear coats.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
you could do the blue, mask off the binding you want (so the tape reveals only the binding rather than covering it up) and then lay down some sanding sealer onto the binding area, take off the tape and do the opaque edges and then scrape off the sealed from the blue binding and proceed with clear coats.

Interesting idea...I'd have to try that first I think...
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
^That sounds entirely possible, but I think it's overly complicated, and would accomplish exactly the same as just taping off the binding.
What MonkeyLink and Absent Mind said. It's the absolute easiest way. Do the blue then tape off the edges before bursting.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores